Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

AI War: Fleet Command

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 13, 2010

An innovative, 2D 4X-like massive space RTS that adds a new twist to the RTS formula. It has had continual development and refinement since its release in 2009.

Any Duders play this?

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello! I have had this game for a long time, and I like it, but I have yet to play it co-operatively, and that got me thinking if anybody on Giant Bomb has played it or is interested in playing it. It's the perfect RTS for somebody like me because it requires that you need to be strategic instead of just having quick reflexes, although Macro is key, but if you have a good enough position you won't need to juggle things.

I don't know why exactly I wanted to ask this, but what do you guys think of it? I personally would love to see more games like it, and I always like a good Arcen game.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Talk about a daunting game, haven't played it in a while but the scale was so huge I often lost my bearings. I liked a lot of the ideas and systems in place but I didn't feel like investing the time to actually learn what's the best way to go about things.

It's a totally different genre but the scope of the Valley Without Wind games immediately made sense when I realized they were by the same dev.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

AI War is pretty great. I've played it in couple co-op games with friends, only finishing one 3 person game and currently in the middle of a 4 person one, though I doubt we'll finish it. I really like that it plays completely different from anything else ,but that's also what makes it so hard to grasp. Steam says I've put 90 hours into the game. I feel like at least the first 20 were spent learning how to play it like AI War and not any other RTS. I guess other than learning it there, there's also a huge time commitment or maybe its just that we play very slowly in my group. I've never actually finished a real game in singleplayer, not counting the tutorial. Our 3 person game took a combined 36 hours, granted there was a lot of "I'm gonna go eat right quick," and it was basically the first time we all played

Look at those stats! Look at that description text!
    Look at those stats! Look at that description text!

Once everyone generally knows what they're doing co-op is pretty amazing though. Probably some of my best co-op experiences in recent memories. There's just so much content so you're always seeing new stuff and situations to tackle. In my 4 player game we turned on two Exo-galactic strikeforce waves, broken Golems and Spircraft. These things ripped us to shreds. Completely destroyed 2 of our full fleets. We were nowhere near prepared for it and probably shouldn't have turned on two having never faced one. After we rebuilt we immediately started teching up, planting space fortresses ,researching ships, bringing our Golem count up to 3, and generally getting even more massive. We ended up stopping just as the next strikeforce was coming. Situations like that are what get me excited about AI War. There's so much to talk about so I'll just reqoute what I said a little while ago about the AI.

Hell yea A.I. War! A lot of it depends on the AI "personalities" that basically dictate how they act. Like one might overreact to every little thing you do, sending hundreds of units, or another might have a unique system of teleporting units directly to your planets. On top of that they all pretty much react to everything you do,like moving forces when they feel "threatened" at on a planet. My favorite is when they would send quick raiding parties to your bases, immediately after moving your fleet off of that planet. Its pretty crazy! And extremely hard!

.AI War fills this really specific niche strategy game spectacularly. There really isn't nothing else like it. Its also really cool that Arcen support the hell out of this game with their expansions and their other stuff is pretty cool too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.