Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Akira

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 24, 1988

Was produced and released in 1988 to coincide with the anime movie of the same name released earlier that year.

Akira gets a live action remake (unconfirmed)

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo
    Source.

For thoe that aren't in to clicking the link: 

" According to my source, screenwriters Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, guys whose work I like, are about to turn in their version of an “Akira” movie and the reason why the project has been so quiet is they’ve been hard at work trying to get the script right.

For those that aren’t familiar with their work, they wrote the amazing adaptation of “Children of Men” and they’re also credited with “Iron Man” (although a lot of that movie was written on the set). But my point still stands that I like their work and I’m happy they’re taking a crack at it.

Also, while I couldn’t get a lot of info about what changes are being made from the anime to make the feature film work, I did confirm the story is still set in post-apocalyptic Manhattan in the near future. I also confirmed the famous motorcycle is definitely a part of the film, but that bit of info shouldn’t surprise anyone.

From what I could gather, the movie is still a priority for the studio, and if the script meets with approval from key people, the movie could go into production in 2010 with a release date in 2011. Also, this isn’t going to be some mid-range budget movie. If the film goes into production, it’s going to be one of those BIG event movies.

Of course, everything I just wrote is based on a lot of factors, but that’s where the project currently stands. Anyone hoping for an “Akira” live-action movie should cross their fingers that Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby’s screenplay is great and everyone involved gets excited. I’ll have more on this story as I hear it."

Personally, I might be interested to see how Akira translates in to a live action movie. Though I wonder how they'll handle a couple of scenes and if they'll change the plot at all. Not a huge fan of the fact it's not set in Neo-Tokyo, but can't hurt the film too much.
    VictorDeLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VictorDeLeon

Japanese have made live action movies out of everything (Cutey honey, Doomed megalopolis ...) so a live action remake of Akira can be imagined, but either they'll do a real project that goes far in the story (5 or 6 movies) or just do the main story which is risky as Otomo's anime has a strong fanbase

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Didn't they already said they were making a live action film of Akira two years ago?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

old news. Its like talking about the Keanu Reeves Cowboy Bebop movie

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.