Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

PC Alan Wake confirmed

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-14-alan-wake-pc-confirmed

Somewhat exciting news although it would be foolish of them to launch at full price (games like Fable 3 and LA Noire hardly did amazing numbers when coming late to the party on PC and the price issues must have been at least part of the reason for that). However, if it runs well, I would love to give the game a second playthrough, especially as I never touched any of the DLC.

EDIT: According to the Remedy forums, and the developers themselves in interviews, the DLC that came out after the Xbox release may not be included with the full copy of the game and may need to be bought separately. Wow, if they're planning on selling for full price at retail, they have an incredible level of hubris regarding their two year old Xbox game to try and pull that off. Don't get me wrong as I loved Alan Wake but most of the people who likely wanted to play that game already did, and the only way they could get people to come back and double dip was to not pull shit like this.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By EvilKatarn

I think Alan Wake kind of is worth a full price. That game seriously had some of the best atmosphere in a game I've seen. Fable 3 was supposed to be awful and from what I've gathered PC gamers don't dig L.A. Noire because you can't senselessly shoot shit. There are other flaws with L.A. Noire, like misleading dialogue choices and stuff, but whatever. L.A. Noire was a game built by slavery and doesn't deserve huge sales I think.

Alan Wake however is made by highly loveable developers (Remedy, I seriously ponder going to Finland and working there, somehow). The only way this game won't sell is if the PC crowd manages to whine about it not having good enough shooting controls and lacking a multiplayer mode, and use it as an excuse to pirate it.

Anyway, I really loved Alan Wake, am waiting for American Nightmares and also can't wait to see how this PC version turns out. I hope it does well for them, I really do.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Packie

Hey Remedy, I thought you said this game was best played in a couch... Ok ok, I'll stop being cynical and give these guys a pass since I fucking loved Max Payne 2.

P.s gotta hurry up and finish it one day...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

This is retarded. They first showed it off on PC in like 2006 and it's coming out like six years later.

@EvilKatarn said:

I think Alan Wake kind of is worth a full price. That game seriously had some of the best atmosphere in a game I've seen. Fable 3 was supposed to be awful and from what I've gathered PC gamers don't dig L.A. Noire because you can't senselessly shoot shit. There are other flaws with L.A. Noire, like misleading dialogue choices and stuff, but whatever. L.A. Noire was a game built by slavery and doesn't deserve huge sales I think.

Alan Wake however is made by highly loveable developers (Remedy, I seriously ponder going to Finland and working there, somehow). The only way this game won't sell is if the PC crowd manages to whine about it not having good enough shooting controls and lacking a multiplayer mode, and use it as an excuse to pirate it.

Anyway, I really loved Alan Wake, am waiting for American Nightmares and also can't wait to see how this PC version turns out. I hope it does well for them, I really do.

The Witcher 2 had terrific sale figures (iirc around 1 million within 2 months), no guns were involved and no multiplayer. So no PC gamers don't only buy games that allow you to senselessly shoot shit or ones that only have multiplayer.

I think the problem with L.A. Noire is that it's a bad port (from what I've heard) and the game simply isn't all that good.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By GeekDown

I've been wanting to re-play Alan Wake and now I have a reason. Really excited to see how good it looks on PC. Buying it on day one for sure.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

@Vitor: Fable 3 and LA Noire were also kind of bad PC versions (Fable 3 was basically acceptable, LA Noire not so much).

However, I still agree that anyone who wanted to pay 50/60 bucks for Alan Wake has already bought it. I'm sure that many PC owners would be willing to pay to see Alan Wake in 1080P, but full-price is only going to appeal to a very small audience.

What you will probably see is 50 bucks on day one and much lower prices within a month. That's what happened with LA Noire and I'm still a little bitter about it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Great, I look forward to checking it out.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sooty

Here's Alan Wake on PC, the game sounded way more promising back then too. I still really enjoyed it but from the sounds of that video it was meant to have a much larger scale.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

I probably won't play it, but that's really cool. And it coming with the 360's DLC is worth 60 bucks. On its own I'd still say it's worth the 60, so this is a win.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

I finished the game 13 times already, so I won't get it. This is still great news for the people who didn't get to play.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Great news. I'll definitely buy this on pc, since i don't have 360.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Olivaw

Hey, Remedy!

LITTLE FUCKING LATE, GUYS

JUST A LITTLE

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bybeach

This will be my second playthrough..wish they would throw in some extra content like the did with Gears of War..I feel silly paying full price for it and I won't. I'll wait for a sale.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By bacongames

Bought a download code for 6 bucks when it was on sale a few months ago for Xbox. While I would love to also play the DLC, I'll take my cheap Alan Wake now than a smoother game with some DLC in it.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McBEEF

YES! i dont care if its late, love rememdy and always wanted to play this.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dread612

Hopefully they will be smart and not cripple it with GFWL.

I don't have a good feeling that they will be smart about it though.......

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zaglis

Yet no mention if the NEW Alan Wake is coming out for PC.

Also, wasn't Red Dead Redemption super close to Alan Wake release date?...oh but who am I kidding.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilKatarn

@Sooty said:

The Witcher 2 had terrific sale figures (iirc around 1 million within 2 months), no guns were involved and no multiplayer. So no PC gamers don't only buy games that allow you to senselessly shoot shit or ones that only have multiplayer.

I think the problem with L.A. Noire is that it's a bad port (from what I've heard) and the game simply isn't all that good.

Dark Souls pulled a million sales in a shorter time, and that title is niche as fuck. The Witcher 2 was an extravagant game and deserves a lot more sales than that. Sad part is that games sell pretty shitty on PC and that platform is being treated very weird in the gaming industry. I wish that desparity would just go away.

I still don't see why people are being so bitter about getting a PC port of Alan Wake. Yes, it was announced like more than half a decade ago for release on PC and I was eagerly anticipating that game. The first trailers are still embedded in my retinas for watching them a thousand times and hoping for a game where you can drive around the great North-Western America, creeping around forests at night and running from the horrible mystical entities haunting Alan. What they released is a different game, but still an absolutely stunning experience.

Oh It just came to me why you're all being assholes about this announcement. It's because internet.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeF

I'm glad it's finally coming to the PC.

Anyone bitching about it seriously needs a reality check. Rockstar isn't even bringing RDR to PC and won't even give a good reason why. Be glad they're even doing it and throwing the DLC in for free.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AssInAss

One of my favourite games this generation, will double-dip when PC version comes for a 3rd playthrough! :D

Nightmare difficulty or bust.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beforet

There's one of the three games that I would have bought a 360 for. Now if Shadow Complex can just get ported/Deadly Premonition localized.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

This is awesome news!!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor

@nintendoeats: Agreed on those points.

Although, even with the 1 month wait for Arkham City (and the initial issues that had), that was a prime example of a fantastic port although it was timed a lot better. I'm hoping Alan Wake will run at least as well as that, especially considering Remedy's PC pedigree. Well, I say that, the PC pedigree aspect hardly helped Rage when it shipped although that's fine now.

I'd be willing to pay $40 for Alan Wake new but, if they charge any more, I'll wait for the inevitable 50% off within the first month on Steam.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Winternet

Best News of 2011.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vitor

@EvilKatarn said:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/14/alan-wake-pc-preview/

And they're not sure they'll include all the DLC that come with the Xbox version. Come on. LA Noire made us wait 6 months and at least had the decency to bundle all that in as recompense. As someone who already beat the original, that was the only hook they had for me to re-buy it.

EDIT: Conflicting sources: http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7525 Although, they fact that they ever even entertained the idea of NOT shipping with all the DLC seems insane.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHT

YEEEEES

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Didn't it turn out to be a mediocre video game with a cult following consisting of individuals who were charmed by the story/theme? 

AKA a game that you probably shouldn't buy because the gameplay is mediocre and the chances of you adoring the story/theme are not very big. So if you do buy it and you're not swept off your feet by its "brilliance" (followed by you defending it on the internet), you're left with a... well, mediocre game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vitor

Taken from the official forms by a Remedy employee: "What ADM meant was that the what we're releasing for the PC includes both of the DLC packs -- that is to say, they are among the things we're releasing. Whether they're going to be included with the game is yet undecided, but the point is, one way or the other, people will be able to play the DLC."

So DLC included is not a dead cert. Well that strikes me as incredibly arrogant and somewhat stupid.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SlasherMan

@EvilKatarn said:

@Sooty said:

Dark Souls pulled a million sales in a shorter time, and that title is niche as fuck. The Witcher 2 was an extravagant game and deserves a lot more sales than that. Sad part is that games sell pretty shitty on PC and that platform is being treated very weird in the gaming industry. I wish that desparity would just go away.

Just pointing out a few things:

1) Dark Souls is a multiplatform title, the Witcher 2 is not (yet). A more fair comparison would be to Demon Souls.

2) The Witcher 2 cost about half as much as your typical AAA title these days. CD Projekt's budget was around $10-$15M for the game, IIRC. Which I find amazing considering the quality of the title (let's just assume that third chapter doesn't exist). The point is, they didn't need as many sales as your typical AAA game to break even and start earning real profit.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vitor

@rebgav said:

Anyone want to pay $50/$60 for a two year old game which currently retails for $20 or less? Baffling.

If they were smart it would be at a discount. I'm guessing they're not if they're contemplating not even throwing in the DLC for free...

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By valrog

Yes. Yes! YEEEEEEEESSSS!!!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexxan

Great, more people need to play this game.

Sirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sirico

Remedy straight up just went for the Microsoft exclusive deal, smart business especially considering the state of the company at the time of release however they shot themselves in the foot by trying to justify such a move and keep some credibility amongst the pc market that had waited 4 years for the title.

During the interview with RPS Aki Järvilehto was very vague about a lot of details, it came across as if they hadn't really considered there might be a negativity on this announcement, and maybe hadn't even considered that the DLC would be essential if they aim to re-release the game at full price now.

It's not so much it's late rather than it seems like they see the pc market as a means to re-release a game that's had it's run.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jetsetwillie

@AhmadMetallic said:

Didn't it turn out to be a mediocre video game with a cult following consisting of individuals who were charmed by the story/theme? AKA a game that you probably shouldn't buy because the gameplay is mediocre and the chances of you adoring the story/theme are not very big. So if you do buy it and you're not swept off your feet by its "brilliance" (followed by you defending it on the internet), you're left with a... well, mediocre game.

no

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By swoxx

Doope! Loved it on the xbox, will pick this up on steam for another playthrough

@jetsetwillie said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Didn't it turn out to be a mediocre video game with a cult following consisting of individuals who were charmed by the story/theme? AKA a game that you probably shouldn't buy because the gameplay is mediocre and the chances of you adoring the story/theme are not very big. So if you do buy it and you're not swept off your feet by its "brilliance" (followed by you defending it on the internet), you're left with a... well, mediocre game.

no

no

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Bwast

I liked it alright. Great atmosphere. The story lost me at some point and the combat got a little boring near the end. Might pick it up during the inevitable Steam sale.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Hmm I hope it's discounted significantly. I'd be willing to try it again, but I only got a few hours in on the Xbox because despite the awesome atmosphere, the combat was unbearably terrible.

Scofthe7seas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scofthe7seas

@Sirico said:

Remedy straight up just went for the Microsoft exclusive deal, smart business especially considering the state of the company at the time of release however they shot themselves in the foot by trying to justify such a move and keep some credibility amongst the pc market that had waited 4 years for the title.

It's not so much it's late rather than it seems like they see the pc market as a means to re-release a game that's had it's run.

This news makes me very angry. When I first heard about Alan Wake, being a huge Remedy fan, I was so excited. Then they pulled the plug on the PC version, and I was pissed off. A while after, it was on sale for xbox, and I picked it up. I had it shelved for quite a while until I finally got around to playing it. I just LITERALLY just finished the xbox version to come here and see there is a PC version coming out. Every multiplatform game that comes out, I play on PC because it always looks much much better. It absolutely does seem like they're cashing in on a re-release. If you're going to piss on me, don't come back two years later and try to wipe it off.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheHT
    @Scofthe7seas said:

If you're going to piss on me, don't come back two years later and try to wipe it off.

I think I'll use that sometime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.