Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

The Next-Next DLC Episode for Alan Wake Priced, Detailed

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided
    Striking with a quasi-announcement while the flashlight is still hot (and probably unattainable for the first five minutes), Remedy Entertainment has announced, priced, and even detailed--albeit vaguely--the second downloadable add-on for its psychological-thriller-action-horror-game-thing, Alan Wake.

The new content is dubbed The Writer, according to a blurb that cropped up on the game's downloadable content menu late last week (see picture, stage right). It, seemingly, sets up the next-next phase of the game's core narrative: Mr. Wake knows his enemy, but still finds himself in a battle of survival against spooky junk. "Our second downloadable content pack, The Writer, finds Wake in strange circumstances," the blurb reads, "Now fully aware of the thing that opposes him, he must survive one increasingly nightmarish situation after another." 

In other words, The Writer won't be about sunshine, kittens or rainbows. Not that we should expect such a thing considering what we've learned about the game's other piece of unreleased DLC. In the game's first add-on content, The Signal--which is due to hit July 27th and costs 800 Microsoft Points for anyone who bought the game "used" like a criminal--Wake will face "a threat unlike anything he's ever encounter before." But it's still a threat "he's intimately familiar with." He'll need to follow something called the "Signal" in order to "make sense of it all." Like a rainbow or a kitten has ever provided insight, right?

Like The Signal, The Writer has been priced at 800 Microsoft Points. No word on release date for this second pack, but the blurb does mention that it's "coming soon." I'm guessing that means August or so. So much for that "get all your DLC out within the first 60 seconds the game hits the streets" plan we hear so much about.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided
    Striking with a quasi-announcement while the flashlight is still hot (and probably unattainable for the first five minutes), Remedy Entertainment has announced, priced, and even detailed--albeit vaguely--the second downloadable add-on for its psychological-thriller-action-horror-game-thing, Alan Wake.

The new content is dubbed The Writer, according to a blurb that cropped up on the game's downloadable content menu late last week (see picture, stage right). It, seemingly, sets up the next-next phase of the game's core narrative: Mr. Wake knows his enemy, but still finds himself in a battle of survival against spooky junk. "Our second downloadable content pack, The Writer, finds Wake in strange circumstances," the blurb reads, "Now fully aware of the thing that opposes him, he must survive one increasingly nightmarish situation after another." 

In other words, The Writer won't be about sunshine, kittens or rainbows. Not that we should expect such a thing considering what we've learned about the game's other piece of unreleased DLC. In the game's first add-on content, The Signal--which is due to hit July 27th and costs 800 Microsoft Points for anyone who bought the game "used" like a criminal--Wake will face "a threat unlike anything he's ever encounter before." But it's still a threat "he's intimately familiar with." He'll need to follow something called the "Signal" in order to "make sense of it all." Like a rainbow or a kitten has ever provided insight, right?

Like The Signal, The Writer has been priced at 800 Microsoft Points. No word on release date for this second pack, but the blurb does mention that it's "coming soon." I'm guessing that means August or so. So much for that "get all your DLC out within the first 60 seconds the game hits the streets" plan we hear so much about.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By droop

Thanks for the spoiler :'(

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

Interesting.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By rentfn

Can't wait for this.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Droop said:
    " Thanks for the spoiler :'( "
    It's your own fault for clicking on it.
    V_Ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By V_Ben

Well, it sounds pretty good. Looking forward to it.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington

I'm enjoying getting more news from Giant Bomb. Keep it up Brad!

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By droop
    @creamypies said:
    " @Droop said:
    " Thanks for the spoiler :'( "
    It's your own fault for clicking on it. "
    T'was a joke :<
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazielCuts

Did I miss the first one coming out already?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a
    deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

interesting. cant wait to see the enemy from the DLC

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fosssil
    @RazielCuts: No. The first episode doesn't come out until the end of July, I believe.

EDIT: Yeah, Brad put the release date for the first episode right in the article: July 27th.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Milkman

I didn't even know a first DLC episode was announced.

I should probably get around to playing this.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By buzz_killington

Nicholson first post repping hard aiight bro blazing 24/7 STILL>

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By SlantedRoom

not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  
    the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  
    and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion. 
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZmillA

did new copies of alan wake come with a code to download the first DLC?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stalefishies
    @FUPA11 said:

" not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion.  "

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it.
    cronox2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By cronox2

Welcome aboard Chet...err Brad.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By jonnyboy

I think I'll wait for the Kittens DLC if that's ok.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By kariyanine

Loved the game so I'll be all over this once it hits. 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nail1080
    @stalefishies said:
    " @FUPA11 said:

" not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion.  "

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it. "
    give it up haters....
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vorbis
    @nail1080 said:
    " @stalefishies said:
    " @FUPA11 said:

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it. "
    give it up haters.... "
    Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust
    @Chabbs0 said:
    " I'm enjoying getting more news from Giant Bomb. Keep it up Brad! "
    Yep... Interesting stuff!
    traynrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By traynrek
    @Vorbis said:
    " @nail1080 said:
    " @stalefishies said:
    " @FUPA11 said:

give it up haters.... "
    Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds. "
    I don't know why I feel like I have to defend Brad N, but give him a chance.  Once you get his personality you'll like him way better.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thatfrood

This is relevant to my interests

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeust
    @TRAYNREK said:
    " @Vorbis said:
    " @nail1080 said:
    " @stalefishies said:
    " @FUPA11 said:

give it up haters.... "
    Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds. "
    I don't know why I feel like I have to defend Brad N, but give him a chance.  Once you get his personality you'll like him way better. "
    Let Brad The Second alone. He's doing a good job!  
    hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By hpv

They should make a DLC episode about sunshine, kittens, and rainbows.  No one would see that coming.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrOldboy

Nice to see more people producing DLC while the games still in development instead of putting all their resources into the retail game. I'm all for DLC, but two "episodes" only 2 months after release, this project $10 fad has got me worried for the future quality of retail games. I will probably still own the game by then, but I have trouble going back to games for DLC. Never got the fallout stuff or borderlands stuff.

Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CletusTheFoetus
    Anyone who talks about rainbows and kittens gets my vote.
    Why do I get the impression this is going to be a horde mode thing with waves of enemies? 
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By MeatSim

I want some DLC where Alan Wake takes a nap.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

ZOMG!  SO MANY QUOTATION MARKS!!!  

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By eskimo

lame, we shouldnt have to pay for DLC to see the end of the story

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.