Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

near end game story discussion (major spoilers)

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

So after getting to chapter 5 I started realizing but not wanting to believe in that Alice had been raped by a burglar, but she had that memory blocked out by the red queen.  The red queen, a mere formal mental projection of her younger self warned her of what she had tried to block current day Alice from what had happened before.  What she wanted to forget which created the red queen.

In one memory Alice recalls his slimy touch and his awful bedside manner.

While playing DNF for my last game which had such disgust for morality, it's rare to see a game take on this subject matter and handle it so appropriately.  I'm shocked to see it has not come in reviews which makes me think that other than GBs review that other sites have not fully completed the game.  I have not completed the game and I'm on the last chapter but the story is one of the best I've seen in years.

I won't post again on Alice until I'm done.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Oginam

@maskedarcstrike: I agree that the subject matter of this game, when it finally starts hitting you in the last couple chapters, is pretty brutal. I started to realize the direction it was going in just before the game spelled it out. I was thinking they'd just leave it all to metaphorical explanations. But they didn't. They spelled it out and damn it, that is some pretty grotesque stuff for a game.

I don't recall Alice being the one who was raped though. Was pretty sure it was Elizabeth and the Red Queen represents Alice's Hatred for (among other reasons) the one who got away with raping/killing her sister. I think the Mad Hatter and his cohorts are actually Alice's childhood made manifest (They don't care about any of this, they just want to have tea parties.). Still trying to wrap my head around Chapter 2 though and what the Carpenter represents.

I'd also have to agree that I think most reviewers never make it through this game, or don't bother hunting enough of the collectibles to fully understand the story. Not a whole lot of the story is hidden away in the end, but the slow progression of more and more little details in the memories is what eventually makes the ending so dramatic.

Avatar image for halfcirclepunch
    halfcirclepunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By halfcirclepunch

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

@Oginam: Close, but still wrong I believe. The psychologist who is "curing" her was a friend of the Liddle family. He tried to become "close" with Alices sister with whom he fell in love in, but was eventually rejected by. Dr. Bumby raped Alices sister atleast once, maybe multiple times using the same hypnosis technique he used on Alice to change her fictional childhood hideout and friends, the Wonderland, which Alice at first repressed as her sister Elisabeth "talking" in her sleep. 
    Whem Bumby noticed, that Alice wittnessed him stealing away in the night, he tried to cover his track by burning the Liddle estate. Alice survived, but the memories of seeing her family burn and her sister ravaged turned her insane. The latter memory tried to resurface in the first Alice game and finaly reveals itself in the second (the Queen = memory of her sister). After she seemingly was cured and released Dr. Bumby takes her into his "therapy" to make sure she wouldn't tell on him or atleast won't be a credible person anymore. He mangaes to get "custody" of her by convincing Radcliff the families lawyer, who only takes care of her because of his personal interest in her inheritance (which he needs to finance his love of oriental antiques), that she still has mental issues. At this point Bumby already made a buisness out of driving children into insanity and selling them as prostitutes (hence the puppet imagery), which Alice subconciously surpressed also.
    What or if the Wonderland inhabitance represent, I don't quite know or atleast any interpretation would be too far fetched.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Oginam

@halfcirclepunch: Ok, so there is a more direct correlation between the Red Queen and Alice's sister. I can see that. That also makes sense for the Caterpillar who is an analogue for Radcliff. Cheshire Cat is Alice's childhood cat (forgot the name) and the white rabbit is obviously Alice's rabbit doll.

Since I still haven't played the first game, although I intend to, I must be missing who/what the Hatter and Carpenter stand for. Maybe the Hatter is Alice's father? But then who is the Wonderland version of Alice's mother - the crazy lady you have to shoot pig snouts for?

Avatar image for halfcirclepunch
    halfcirclepunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By halfcirclepunch
    @Oginam: You bring up some good points about the nature of the Wonderlands characters. You might very well be right. The connection between the first and second game however are retcons, but it is somewhat obvious, if you consider Alices first discusion with the Queen/Lizzie and how they referance the old games. Dunno how the other characters from Alice 1 factor into it. 
    The hatter does look alot like Pris Witless, who uses Alice guilt over "burning her family" to con her out of money, but that is probably coincidental. 
    I personaly imagined characters like the Hatter just being her imaginary childhood friends. It would kinda make sense with the knowledge, that the Queen is a memory of Lizzie, in mind.
    Alices Wonderland was initially a wonderfull place to be in, but as outside influences, her delusions and repressed memories started poring into this world of her imagination it became corrupted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.