Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien: Isolation

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

A survival horror game set fifteen years after the original Alien film. It stars Amanda Ripley, the daughter of the film's protagonist, Ellen Ripley.

Alien Isolation is 12 bucks on PSN... worth a buy?

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GuitarGod

So many mixed reviews ...

I love survival horror and stealth games, do you reccomend it ?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

Absolutely. It was my favourite game from that year and honestly the complaints that it is too harsh with the saves is simply not an issue if you are good at stealth games. The save system is important to raise the stakes too. You really do fear the alien because you have something to lose. The aesthestic is perfect and so in line with the first film. I recommend it in the strongest possible terms.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Maybe? I got really fatigued by that game. The more I played, the less I enjoyed it. I just had to quit when the Alien killed me while I was saving my game :|

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's a hybrid between non-combat survival horror like Amnesia and Outlast, and combat based survival horror ala Resident Evil. I don't think it balances the 2 perfectly and it's overlong, but it's still a damn fine game. I'd recommend watching the quick look before buying.

Also, if you haven't played Resident Evil 7 yet, I highly recommend it. One of the best survival horror games ever, imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Good lord, yes.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It has some serious pacing issues, but it's a really great horror game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If you're a fan or admirer of the original movie, absolutely yes.
    If not a fan I'd also advise checking out the QL since it has its frustrations.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely worth it for that price. It's a great horror game. It's a few hours too long though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

My favorite game of 2014 among other great titles, so I'd say yes definitely. The visuals are great, but animations not so much; too stiff and robotic both in face and body. The story is pretty standard; if you've seen the films, you know what you're getting here. It's still cool to be in that time period in the Alien universe though and see where Ripley's daughter is in all of it. I felt somewhat indifferent when it came to any of the characters; I liked them more than disliked for sure but didn't feel that strongly overall. I didn't buy any of the DLC because they don't expand on the Alien universe, they're just time trial, escape kind of things which doesn't interest me. I played the crew DLC (which I think came with the game?) It's not good. I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but like the film, I don't find the game to be that scary or even intense. On a scale of one to ten, I'd probably say the scare/intense factor is about a six maybe, which is weak compared to some of its competition.

There are a few moments when the xeno will pop out when you're trying to get to your next location and you're thinking you're in the clear, you'll think 'oh fuck', but it mostly consists of you just hiding under tables until you can move on, and then accepting death early on if you're caught since you can't really run away or deter the alien away from you once you're caught. Later in the game when you do get something to deter it away, it becomes even less intense as long as you have ammo. There's also the chance (especially on harder difficulties) for the xeno to go into vents after you which is tense. The game is arguably more intense when you run into the Working Joes. There's a moment later in the game that is pretty intense since you lose all your weapons and have to work your way around a handful of more durable Working Joes in a more linear, square-ish path. I love the setting though (which brings you to some interesting [and even familiar] locations), and sound design is phenomenal. It just plays well in my opinion too.

Lastly, complaint wise, they bring back the original cast from Alien (other than Ian Holm's Ash) for audio logs, and while it's really cool that they got them back, none of them sound that good, it can sound somewhat lazy, and even disjointed in a few spots. I think Weaver as Ripley does a fine job though. I think the game is totally fine in terms of its save system, I never understood how people couldn't get the hang of it. I also like how long the game is, and how it uses its time. This is by far my favorite game based off of a film, alongside Butcher Bay. I would also mention that Covenant comes out really soon, and if you're at all excited for that, definitely get this. Since you're doing it digitally, I'd wait until the game is fully installed. I also got it digitally since I didn't want to wait to play it, and ran into a moment early on where you'll be on the first ship that you wake up on, but you can't move through the story once you're on the bridge since it's still installing, and can't activate the cutscene. You just have to wait a while.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Very much so!

I played with a buddy, passing the controller either after each death or after a long stretch to relieve the tension, it was fantastic!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game's fantastic; even if you didn't like horror games its so atmospheric and immersive on top of that.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm:

Good stuff thanks ??

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For 12 bucks? Totally. It drags, especially toward the end, but there's more than enough good there for that price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.