Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien: Isolation

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

A survival horror game set fifteen years after the original Alien film. It stars Amanda Ripley, the daughter of the film's protagonist, Ellen Ripley.

Alien: Isolation reviews.

• 112 results
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Cirdain

@rafaelfc said:

@yummylee said:

@rafaelfc: The reviews weremixed when I first made the thread. All of the ones compiled up top have been edited in. At the beginning it was about 5 reviews, which included IGN, Polygon, and Gamespot, all three of which are less than positive. Especially IGN, given the way their scoring system works.

I even edited my OP to reflect the change in overall consensus, but hey who has time to read a thread OP!..

Sorry, I did read the OP when it wasn't still edited and found a bit odd. Specially because I had just seen metacritic. Didn't mean to sound negative or aggressive towards you.

But still many people out there consider 8/10 to be mixed, which is crazy to me.

As long as people in here consider 8/10 to be good, I can breathe easy with the world.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Castiel

@cirdain: Yeah 8/10 is a good score and even 7/10 used to be considered a good score. If I'm interested in a game and it gets a lot of 7/10 reviews I still wouldn't consider it a failure. Just as a game with a lot of promise that it might not deliver completely but atleast there is something there to keep you engaged for the majority of the game.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I can't wait to see what Patrick thinks of this game. I assume he's going to review this one? Sounds like a game right up his alley.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By handlas

I can't wait to see what Patrick thinks of this game. I assume he's going to review this one? Sounds like a game right up his alley.

Review Monday from what he said on Bombin'. From the sounds of what he said on that I'm predicting 3 stars from him. Seems like the game would of benefited from a shorter play time. I'm wondering if the Alien pre-order/DLC thingy will be shorter and be better received.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I was worried about this game stretching it's concept out too long though I wasn't expecting 20 hours. I would imagine a Portal 2 length of 4ish hours would have made for an awesome tight experience but its hard to sell a retail game of that length. Sounds like reviewers received their copies on Monday and anyone trying to hit the embargo marathoned through that game without much time to digest it. I can see if your a reviewer trying to review a game built around creating high-stress situations and the game keeps stretching on and on that the review experience would colour your final opinion. That said if the reviewers had two weeks I think the review scores would have only been a bit higher, sounds like the game has a lot of filler. Patrick finished it Friday night, he was originally trying to get a review out for the embargo but I bet his opinion on the game will be a bit better after mulling it over the weekend than it would have been if he had pushed himself even harder to hit the Friday embargo.

It will be interesting to see how the Crew Expendable stuff is received because it feels like this game could benefit from a Minerva's Den style compressed experience. I have way too many other games dividing my attention right now and SEGA removed the pre-order incentives before the reviews hit so I'm probably just going to wait a couple months for the holiday Steam sale.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Along with everybody else, I'll be interested to hear what Patrick has to say about it. I'm gonna most likely hold off purchasing it and hope that it's on a flash sale during Black Friday.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TWISTEDH34T

it's kind of odd that in this day and age people are complaining about games being too long considering that we were not long ago complaining about how short Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes was for instance. But I completely understand it that games can go on for too long. It's just a bit silly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@twistedh34t said:

it's kind of odd that in this day and age people are complaining about games being too long considering that we were not long ago complaining about how short Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes was. But I completely understand it that games can go on for too long. It's just a bit silly.

...But Alien: Isolation and Ground Zeroes are different games. A satisfactory length for a video game can differ wildly depending on what sort of game it is (and who's playing), and just because Ground Zeroes was critiqued as being too short isn't at all related to criticisms about Alien Isolation being too long. Also, generalisations are bad mmk. You're building a reality where every reviewer who thought Alien: Isolation was too long also thought Ground Zeroes was too short.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know they're completely different games. I never meant to compare them in such a way. All I said that after all we've heard about games being too short it's kind of.. -well maybe "funny" is a better word- to hear people say that games are too long. As for the comment about building a reality, I don't know if people who thought Ground Zeroes was too short also thought Alien Isolation was too long. Maybe, I'm sure some people who played both will think that.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By handlas

I can understand the criticisms based on playing Outlast. I thought Outlast was fantastic. But thats like a 7 hour...probably less... game. A 20 hour Outlast game sounds unappealing. Unless Alien has a lot more variety than that game did but from what I've watched (I watched a bit of a guy streaming) it seems to be basically the same sort of thing. I find I have less time to play games these days so I'll only play Alien for a good 30 minute to 1 hour chunks so I think it will be fine for me. I'll just enjoy being in that world.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

:o The game's being released in an hour's time on Steam ^__^

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By shivermetimbers

I find it weird that in a horror game, your run is barely faster than the walking animation....maybe that's just me. I'm really enjoying the atmosphere so far, here's to see if it lasts for 20 hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.