Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien: Isolation

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

A survival horror game set fifteen years after the original Alien film. It stars Amanda Ripley, the daughter of the film's protagonist, Ellen Ripley.

Sega Pleases, Enrages Alien Fans With Isolation's Pre-Order DLC [UPDATED]

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

People are willing to give the people who made Colonial Marines money AGAIN?

Colonial Marines was made by Gearbox. Isolation is made by Creative Assembly.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

@logicslayer said:

So put down $5 at GameStop and wait a week after release. While waiting, watch Twitch, read reviews, or whatever you do to make a decision as to buy a game or not. Then cancel or complete the transaction dependant on your decision. Why is this such a big deal?

^ This

^ This is dumb. Why are you preordering a game if you are then going to wait a week after it comes out to do homework? That seems like it defeats the purpose of a preorder. If you're going to wait a week you should just not preorder to begin with. Unless certain businesses are holding content ransom that you'd like to play with your $60 purchase.

Because the best way to get a grasp on how you feel about a game (aside from playing it yourself) is to see it out in the wild.

Stink_Meaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Stink_Meaner
    No Caption Provided

...but I NEED my Yaphet Kotto

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@turambar said:
    @spraynardtatum said:
    @john1912 said:

@logicslayer said:

So put down $5 at GameStop and wait a week after release. While waiting, watch Twitch, read reviews, or whatever you do to make a decision as to buy a game or not. Then cancel or complete the transaction dependant on your decision. Why is this such a big deal?

^ This

^ This is dumb. Why are you preordering a game if you are then going to wait a week after it comes out to do homework? That seems like it defeats the purpose of a preorder. If you're going to wait a week you should just not preorder to begin with. Unless certain businesses are holding content ransom that you'd like to play with your $60 purchase.

Because the best way to get a grasp on how you feel about a game (aside from playing it yourself) is to see it out in the wild.

I think it is an obtuse way to buy a thing. After thinking about it, this probably is the absolute best way to go about buying a game that has 'not garbage' pre-order DLC that you're interested in but it's also mother fucking stupid that someone would have to do it.

I don't care how long pre-order DLC debates have raged and how cliche my next statement has become. They should just put it in the game!

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Why anyone would pre order this after the last game baffles me. Who gives a shit if the content is "cool" if the game sucks? Have some self control.

leosol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek
    The nice thing about pre-ordering at GameStop is you can cancel your pre-order at any time in store and get refunded in the exact same way you payed, AT ANY TIME. There is literally no downside to pre-ordering at a GameStop other than your local store might not be open for a midnight launch and you have to wait till the morning to buy your game like an adult (which is unlikely seeing as Dragon Age, both NBA games, Shadow of Mordor,and Drive Club all release on that same day). If you aren't sure about the game, pre-order at GameStop, pick up your upgraded bonus free mission guaranteed copy within 48 hours, then don't open it until you see the reviews roll in. If it gets shitty reviews, return your unopened copy within 30 days with the receipt for a full refund. It's pretty simple.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

@charlie_victor_bravo: it really is. its the way to go. im waiting a long while this time for games I want. No more pre-ordering or picking it up on day one. just not worth it!

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually get games after their release in complete/GOTY editions anyway, so all of this lame approach to pre-order stuff ain't gonna mean much. Especially since Arkham City GOTY ended up getting all that content in the same package anyway.

Basically, if this is their way to get people to pre-order, I'm more than happy to pick the game up complete months down the line to combat this bullshit. Others should follow suit.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You know what I find funny, Harry Dean Stanton sounded old during Alien, and now he's just going to sound the same. Some people are just character actors forever

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Basm321

I just want the retailer exclusives to stop. I've decided to go all digital this gen and now some content is only available if I purchase it physically... Ugh

I'll continue to buy all my games of the playstation store and whine about not having say... The the only semi auto silenced pistol in the entire game of sniper elite 3

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Dberg

No. I want original content. Not a reimagining of what was once a pretty decent movie.

I'll be trying the regular game, but this DLC thing only annoys me.

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Patrick's experiment, commenting on twitter outrage I mean.

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is the new New Games Journalism

dh2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it's really nothing complex at all. The equation runs like this:

Price of new Alien game from Sega - £40

Price of new Alien game from Sega's DLC - not £40

If I shell-out forty quid upfront and the game's shit (like Colonial Marines…), I've wasted forty quid. If it's good and I want more of it, I've 'wasted' less-than-forty quid by not having pre-ordered.

Would I rather waste forty quid, or less-than-forty quid?

Exactly.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Hayt

Here's my situation. In Australia videogames on Steam get marked up from 50 or 60 bucks (in the US) to 70 or 80 bucks. This is currently listed at 50 bucks, normally they fix this pretty quick so I wonder if it'll be priced like this tomorrow.

Naked_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the shit brick that was Colonial Marines, I think SEGA should have had made this awesome content available for free as an apology to fans

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I rarely pre-order anymore, if i do its for something i was definetly going to buy, for instance Destiny or Bayonetta 2. If a company is making a game series i like or has thrown in some goofy physical statue or something providing i want the game i will usually bite. Given that i only do 2 or 3 of these a year now and its almost always for special editions i dont see the harm. Pre-ordering everything, especially games like FIFA or COD is damaging, they will NEVER run out of copies and the game is out yearly so you should never be paying £70 for a game that will be out next year with a better version.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

I'm excited to play this a year after release when a "Game of the Year/Complete" Edition appears on Steam at a reasonable price.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I think you're misunderstanding why people pre-order games these days, Patrick. It has little to do with potential scarcity, except in the case of Special Editions like Destiny's Ghost Edition, and more to do with convenience. If you know you want the game, pre-ordering it means it can arriver at your house on launch day or be waiting for you to pick up from the store on your way to or from work if you prefer it that way. People do the same thing with books and movies.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get somewhat frustrated when games journalist people act so confused about why people preorder games. The companies behind them incentivize the shit out of pre-orders. On Steam, for instance, damn near every game gives a discount for pre-ordering and allows you to pre-load days in advance so you can play immediately.

Why would I wait to buy Dark Souls 2 on the release date when I can buy it a day or a week earlier for 10% discount and the ability to play immediately at midnight? That's before we even get into the pre-order DLC incentives most games are offering.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know... I thought we already established a while ago that video game adaptations always suck when they try to recreate specific movies. Isolation seems interesting specifically because it's not doing that. That DLC sounds fucking terrible to me. Bringing back the original cast 35 years later seems like an even worse idea. They'll end sounding old and disinterested... Frankly I'm more annoyed by the fact that people seem to care about this blatant fan service than the fact that it exists at all.

Also, don't be crazy, that thing will not stay exclusive to pre-orders for long...

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#172  Edited By falling_fast

well uh, i guess i'll pre-order it now then. i wasn't planning to, but that sounds pretty cool, and the game sounds like it'll be good anyway, too, so i'm not too worried.

oh, and by pre-order, i mean pre-order on steam. personally i pre-order not because i care about playing games the moment they come out, because i like to take my sweet time getting around to playing games. when i do it, i do it to give devs a thumbs up and indicate "THIS LOOKS LIKE COOL SHIT. I WANT MORE COOL SHIT LIKE THIS PLEASE"

edit: wait, uh, gamestop? ...hmm. that's asking a bit much heh

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By porjos

I don't mind it at all - It simply provides emphasis to his writing, that can only be achieved by the Twitter medium.

Is your stance that it takes up too much space on a page or that you are cynical of anything social media related mixing with the news delivery?

JoeGameir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you go to Gamestop within a day or so of launch, they'll probably give you a pre-order copy anyway. That happened to me with GTA V and Dishonored.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#176  Edited By Trilogy

@patrickklepek

Preorder DLC goes one of two ways, and you mentioned both in your article. It's either useless gun skins/ something else not really worth having, or, it's significant content that's going to be sold as regular ass dlc down the road. They're not going to bust their asses to make some really cool content, only to have a fraction of the audience be able to actually play it. I guess I just don't see where I'm supposed to be outraged or even mildly upset. Awesome games have all kinds of shitty preorder or retail specific bonuses, so that means that Sega isn't necessarily panic selling us something in order to secure preorders. Preorders are going to be something companies value for a long time because it looks good to investors, shareholders, etc. "Holy beans, guys! Look at how excited people are for our gaaame!" I wouldn't be surprised if that translates/evolves into some other form the deeper we get into the digital age, but I don't see it completely going away.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be fair, colonial marines looked mediocre from the start. This actually has a shot at being decent.

fastredponycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By fastredponycar

You want to know why people pirate games? This is why. If I want to preorder from amazon, I won't get a portion of the content yet those who pirate the game get all of the exclusive content.

It gets worse when we have 2 or 3 different retailers all touting their own individual preorder content making it impossible to have it all unless you buy numerous different copies of the game. Those who pirate the game though, they get it all.

No Caption Provided

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Touche, Sega. Touche.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By gogosox82

These dlc policies are terrible. Seriously stop buying them so pubs will stop doing them.

Kordesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been really jaded and cynical about the industry for a long time now, and this kind of crap is exactly why. Even more painful is I've watched the progression, I saw it coming, but there was absolutely nothing to be done to stop it. I remember when you used to be able to just go out, buy the game and enjoy the damn game. Now you have to pre-order, plan what version you're going to buy, where you're going to buy it, all to get the maximum amount of content that may or may not ever be released later and you'll still likely be missing out on one or two little bits.Hell, unless the retail PC version of the game is Steam active, you literally can't play Last Survivor on Steam/PC since it's Gamestop exclusive (without taking the obvious measures to get the DLC, if the files even exist for PC, which it's absurd it should come to that point).

I really don't want to see publishers "try harder" with pre-order bonuses because ultimately that just means further pushing people into the shitty position of waiting it out or pre-ordering to avoid missing out on what has fortunately only been garbage like golden reskins of weapons in the best cases, but in cases like this, potentially substantial amounts of enjoyable content.

I've been really excited for Alien: Isolation, but this whole situation immediately soured my feelings on it. What's worse is that, it's far more likely that this heavy handed pre-order DLC approach is not ignorance to the disaster that was Colonial Marines, but rather in response to that, in an attempt to force pre-orders on a group that is rightfully wary after being burned hard the first time. It's a repulsive situation and turned the game into something I would have bought right away into something I may need to put off, because if I'm going to be punished for not pre-ordering, then there's no incentive to even buy at all during the "launch window" and might as well wait for it to go on sale (a game I would have otherwise been quite eager to pay full price to get at right up front)

But really, as the consumer, what else do you do when you're placed in such a garbage position? If you pre-order the game, you take a gamble on the final product, and that might work out in your favor, but it's still reinforcing really terrible industry behavior. You're being manipulated into the choice. If you don't pre-order and the game is fine on launch, if you buy it right away you're still paying full price, but ultimately get punished by missing out on the pre-order content and the industry will still keep on with this crap because, regardless of if YOU don't pre-order, PLENTY of other people who have no stake, interest, or concern with whats going on in the industry will without thought and justify it, so ultimately you've missed out for nothing. Which leaves the only logical thing to do at that point which is to wait until the price goes down.There's a whole lot of complaining about the "devaluation of video games" but if you ask me, it's being brought on by practices like this.

Astalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My solution for this is usually to pre-order the game ($5 at Gamestop), then if the reviews don't pan out I transfer the $5 to a future pre-order. So long as you're OK with picking up a game, eventually, at Gamestop you can do that perpetually.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Wait... Who is blaming Sega for the complete collapse or failure of Aliens: Colonial Marines? I mean this is the first time ever I have heard anyone blame Sega for that turd. I feel most people think it was VERY VERY clear that 99% of the blame was on Gearbox Software and Randy "Snake Oil" Pitchford for that debacle.

It isn't really any skin off my nose who we blame. But come on!!! Let's give credit where credit is due, Randy Pitchford and Gearbox should take most of the blame because Sega's role in this was AT MOST trusting a con-artist like Randy. A lack of oversight with what was 'supposed to be' a well known developer is what they are guilty of commiting.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:
    @spraynardtatum said:
    @john1912 said:

@logicslayer said:

^ This

I think it is an obtuse way to buy a thing. After thinking about it, this probably is the absolute best way to go about buying a game that has 'not garbage' pre-order DLC that you're interested in but it's also mother fucking stupid that someone would have to do it.

I don't care how long pre-order DLC debates have raged and how cliche my next statement has become. They should just put it in the game!

If you're pre-ordering from GameStop just do it online and you don't even have to put that $5 down. Win/Win.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pssst... Ash is an android, not a cyborg.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Internet wins again

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By chimpchamp

This whole thing is a non-issue IMO. If companies want to do this, they can. If consumers want to buy it, they can. For me, the whole pre-order thing has led to me not buying any games at release any more. I have 20+ Xbox360 titles I bought at launch but Dark Souls was the last game I did that for. Now I get the games months/years after launch with all the DLC and I pay much less. If publishers are happy with that, so am I.

Nintendo has the right idea. No DLC and game prices are pretty solid, they go down very slowly. I'm happy to pay the asking price at launch in that case.

realkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By realkman
    @nasar7 said:

To be fair, colonial marines looked mediocre from the start. This actually has a shot at being decent.

After that trailer, it's a bit inconceivable that someone would still be in.

Loading Video...

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update Two: Sega charges for the "After Launch" pre-order content because of how badass the episodes are and makes the ballsy decision to charge $59.99 for them. Gamestop sales for pre-orders go through the roof because that's a raw deal and Sega is like "we're onto something".

Update Three: Sega unleashes Alien: Isolation: After Launch for $59.99 a year later and everyone starts jerking each other off.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realkman said:
    @nasar7 said:

After that trailer, it's a bit inconceivable that somehow would still be in.

Loading Video...

God, how could anyone think this game was going to be anything more than another duke nukem forever?

Ellboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My standard procedure now is to avoid any game with pre-order DLC for at least two years. They all release GotY editions, and by the time two years have passed, the price is down to $20 or less. Plus there's a ton of info out there so I can make a much more informed buying decision. Fuck pre-orders, fuck pre-order DLC, and fuck the people perpetuating this bullshit.

MichiganJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ripley looks a little like Summer Glau in that render.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting thinking back at different exclusive preorder dlc I've gotten and noting has ever been needed even adds something special to the game.

I wounder if anyone has done a post modem on some big releases in the last couple years and seen if any of the Preorder DLC added anything of interest to a game. Most that I can think of is just skins, challenge maps or comedic shit. Haven't gotten around to playing the exclusive missions i received with watchdogs cause it felt pointless

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

WHAT THEY'RE OFFERING A SECOND, SMALLER PRODUCT AS A VALUE ADD TO AN EXISTING PRODUCT THEY'RE PLANNING AT SELLING AT 60 DOLLARS?!

DON'T THEY KNOW MY 60 DOLLARS GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO PLAY EVERYTHING THEY'VE CREATED FOR THAT GAME EVER AND NOT JUST WHATEVER I BOUGHT?!

DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANT PART OF A TRANSACTION IS NOT IN WHAT THEY OFFER ME IN EXCHANGE FOR WHAT I PAY, BUT WHAT I WANT TO HAVE FOR WHAT I PAY?

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, you can pre-order and either cancel you pre-order (even weeks after pre-ordiering) and put the money towards something else. Or if you pre-order from Amazon, you can just send it back. It's what I do with all my games now. After Sim City and BF4 I'm still feeling burned.

Aoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It must just be my part of the country, but I do still pre-order on occasion after things certain titles like that last Fire Emblem were impossible to find locally, and even difficult to catch in stock online at places like Amazon. I typically buy through Amazon, and put no money down, so one way or another, it doesn't really bother me either way, but even previously I have one or two stores I go to, they're in a college campus area, and tend to sell out of some things early on, and other obscure titles only get orders filled enough FOR pre-orders so... eh.

That being said, I was and still am skeptical about Isolation regardless of this stunt DLC. The idea of a game of any significant length revolving around no weapons and one monster being able to hold onto the suspense, and make the gameplay feel non-repetitive seems really really really hard to pull off. To the point where they could be holding back the last third of the game as DLC and I still wouldn't pre-order out of sheer skepticism. I hope I love it. I WANT to love it. The initial slice reviewers have gotten to look at has me hopeful, but this game... this game just feels like something that could really fall apart an hour or two in after crawling under the dozenth bed/hiding in the 100th locker. Here's hoping the make it work.

BishopRen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By BishopRen

@pyrodactyl said:

@realkman said:
    @nasar7 said:

After that trailer, it's a bit inconceivable that somehow would still be in.

Loading Video...

God, how could anyone think this game was going to be anything more than another duke nukem forever?

This demo had a lot to do with it, I never saw that trailer but I did see this demo from E3 and it looked really awesome.

(Sorry I could not find the video without some one talking over it, seems sega has scoured the original from the web. So I thought the dulcet tones of Jim Sterling would be most acceptable.)

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my problem with this game: This should be included at launch for everybody. There is no reason to cut that content from the main game other than "we want more money". If this trend continues at this pace, no game will ship in a tolerable state anymore. It's either a mountain of bugs or cut content that would have made the game better (Mass Effect 3: From Ashes)

Isolation looks pretty cool, but after the last couple of releases from Sega and Digital Assembly, NOBODY should preorder this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.