Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien Swarm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 19, 2010

A freeware top-down co-operative shooter where a squad of marines must investigate and prevent the spread of a rampant alien infestation. It was originally a total conversion for Unreal Tournament 2004 before its team, hired by Valve for other projects, completed it as a side-project.

Anyone else dealing with some connectivity weirdness?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

I booted this up during the first couple days the game came out. Had no problem getting into games, no shaky connection problems and generally dealt with some pretty decent people. 

The past two nights, though, it's been a nightmare of dropped connections, teamkilling griefers and atrophied player base. 

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's because SC2 is coming out and it was "just a free game" that killed some of the player base? and maybe the patches screwed up the multiplayer connectivity? Just bad luck on my part? 

Started a couple friends-only games, but very few people on my friends list have had time to slug it out for a whole campaign, so when they leave, the server is still flagged as private. (Begs the question whether it's possible to change it from a friends-only game to a public game within the lobby, but I haven't found that option if it exists.) 

Mind, I'm sticking mostly to "Normal" difficulty. Maybe everyone's rocking hard and insane?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I haven't had any problems. Could use the server browser instead of matchmaking if you want to try to find low-ping games.

Also, if you created the lobby you can change the permissions using console commands:

make_game_public
    make_game_friends_only

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I have been team-killed on one occasion but I haven't had any problems with griefers yet. When the game first came out I had huge connection issues but after the patch that went up about Friday last week all my connectivity stuff has been fine even when I don't have the best internet connection in the world.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Cool. Thanks for the console commands. I'll give those a shot. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.