Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien Swarm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 19, 2010

A freeware top-down co-operative shooter where a squad of marines must investigate and prevent the spread of a rampant alien infestation. It was originally a total conversion for Unreal Tournament 2004 before its team, hired by Valve for other projects, completed it as a side-project.

Controller Support?

PotentChr0nic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PotentChr0nic

I don't see it listed on the steam page which kinda blows. How do you play 4 player co-op then? Or is the co-op online only? 
    These types of games are good with the 360 controller, if you have the wireless receiver.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I don't think the game supports it but the co-op is online only with a SP tutorial and the game is great with the mouse.

secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By secretagent099
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Insectecutor

Can confirm 360 pad works. Xpadder or other "make my 360 pad not a pile of crap" tools don't seem to be required.

Mega edit (from the Penny Arcade forums):

Enter these commands at the console:

exec 360controller_PC
    bind "JOY4" "asw_InvLast"

The default controls are:

Left stick – move
    Right stick – aim
    Right trigger – fire
    Left trigger – alt fire
    Right bumper – reload
    Left bumper – use offhand item
    A – roll
    B – melee
    X – use
    Y – switch weapons
    Back – Show map/objectives

You'll have to enable the developer console in the keyboard/mouse options and hit ~ to bring it up. This works really well. Some of the tutorial popups are fucked up but who cares.
    Kintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Kintaro

How does the hacking consoles work as a Tech when you're on controller?

Also knowing that the screen pans however which far you're pointing the mouse away from your guy, I wonder if the controller automatically pans to the farthest point on a controller or would it be based on how much you tilt the stick?

I'm a big twin stick shooter guy before so I wanted controller support outright, but having played it a bunch on mouse keyboard I kept wondering how they could implement the controller in it. That said, there is no doubt that swinging your aim arcs in this game and switching sides is best done by stick and not by moving your mouse in relative location to your character. (Because if your character was just even a centimeter off then you could be aiming and turning the completely opposite way on mouse and keyboard.)

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#6  Edited By Savage

This thread has full instructions and tips on using a 360 controller (hint: it's very easy to do since Valve has basically already done all of the work to support it):

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370149

I've tested what's in that thread and it works perfectly well.  I, personally, still prefer the feel of using a mouse and keyboard though--aiming is faster, as usual.

P.S. @Kintaro:  The hacking minigame looks the same, but you have a selection cursor that you can move over the pipe sections to activate them.  It's very nearly as effective as using a mouse.  I haven't tried the other minigame, so I can't comment on it.

Kojdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Kojdog
    @Insectecutor said:
    "Can confirm 360 pad works. Xpadder or other "make my 360 pad not a pile of crap" tools don't seem to be required.

Mega edit (from the Penny Arcade forums):

Enter these commands at the console:

exec 360controller_PC
    bind "JOY4" "asw_InvLast"

The default controls are:

Left stick – move
    Right stick – aim
    Right trigger – fire
    Left trigger – alt fire
    Right bumper – reload
    Left bumper – use offhand item
    A – roll
    B – melee
    X – use
    Y – switch weapons
    Back – Show map/objectives

You'll have to enable the developer console in the keyboard/mouse options and hit ~ to bring it up. This works really well. Some of the tutorial popups are fucked up but who cares. "

Dev has confirmed this on black cat forums.  They've evenly recently patched this to work better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.