Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

A first-person shooter set in the Alien universe. The player is part of a search-and-rescue team sent out to search for the missing USCM team last seen in Aliens.

I think I'm going to buy the special edition. Am I crazy?

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jillsandwich

I NEVER buy special editions of games. The most I've done in that direction is buying the collectors editions of all three Mass Effect games, which for the most part was okay. The ME3 one was severely lacking, but all of those eighty dollar specials from EA have been terribad anyway. With that said, I am pretty positive that I'm going to be purchasing the hundred-dollar edition of Colonial Marines. Why the hell would I do that, you ask?

Well, I am way, way, way into Aliens. I saw the movie when I was twelve and it has been my favorite thing ever and I have loved it unconditionally ever since. Seriously, I quote that movie on a daily basis, and I got god-damned giddy when I saw how many quotes from the film were on the achievement list for CM. It was slightly pathetic.

I love all the shit they're cramming into this box, like the dossiers, the recruitment brochures, the blueprints, the certificates, the sonic-electronic ball-breakers...it's all shit that I would probably not give half a fuck about with any other game, but the fact that it's all related to my favorite film of all time and obviously crafted and selected by people that love it as much as I do, it looks great. I could probably do without the statue, but it's a cool bonus. I just don't like how they feel the need to pull the Ghostbusters video game thing and re-create all the stuff from the film. Hopefully the sequence where you drive a power-loader will actually make sense in the game, that shit in the movie was purely out of necessity-

...Yeah, I'll stop before this gets too long. Am I a sheep that is a slave to meaningless memorabilia from a 80s sci-fi sequel that watered-down the stakes of its predecessor with dumb action? Yes, I absolutely am. Should I buy this?

(keep in mind what you say in response will not at all sway my decision one way or another)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@jillsandwich said:

(keep in mind what you say in response will not at all sway my decision one way or another)

This ought to be an interesting discussion, then.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jillsandwich

@HistoryInRust said:

@jillsandwich said:

This ought to be an interesting discussion, then.

Just a joke, it obviously could. I'm just pretty dead-set on this.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Apparently you don't need the money that would go toward this, so go for it.

I, meanwhile, will wait until this game is out and then, if I want it, I'll get it, and then it will be the base version.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

I never usually get special editions either but I'm getting it because I'm a huge Aliens fan. You and me brother, let's fucking do this!

capnhaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By capnhaggis

yes, get it. I share in your love for the film...definitely my favorite action/sci-fi flick of all time and I will most assuredly be getting this version of it

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Deranged

Go for it mate! :D

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Nardak

I would say that you are better off with banging your head against a wall than buying the special edition of this game.

Also watching all Uwe Boll movies in a row is probably a more pleasant experience.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

Well at least the special edition will be really cheap really quick. Just give it a couple months, I remember special editions of Prey going for 5 bucks in massive quantities at some big box retailers.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If reviews and video are to be believed, it's fairly obvious this game was not made by people who love Aliens. It was clearly made out of spite by people who HATE Aliens.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@mikkaq said:

Well at least the special edition will be really cheap really quick. Just give it a couple months, I remember special editions of Prey going for 5 bucks in massive quantities at some big box retailers.

Oh snap! Got any current leads on that?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mikkaq said:

Oh snap! Got any current leads on that?

This was like 4 years ago when I noticed, but they had a lot of them for no real reason at my local best buy. I saw them slowly get down to 5 bucks at some point, but never moved on one.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@nardak said:

Also watching all Uwe Boll movies in a row is probably a more pleasant experience.

This made me wiki/imdb Uwe Boll out of pure self-hate, only to discover that he directed a third BloodRayne movie and a scene-for-scene spoof of said movie.

This material writes itself, @ryan.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

yes

Beaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nardak said:

I can confirm this is correct.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So did you end up buying the special edition?

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did end up buying the special edition. I probably should have just paid the sixty, but I don't feel all that bad about it. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, save for Michael Biehn's performance and the ending. I'm enjoying the hell out of multiplayer and I think I'm going to try to beat Ultimate Badass this weekend. Also, I've thought long and hard about this possibility, and I don't think I just said all of that because I'm talking about a thing I just spent a hundred fucking dollars on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.