Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alone in the Dark: Illumination

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jun 12, 2015

Developed by Pure FPS and published by Atari, this entry in the long running Alone in the Dark series is a multiplayer focused Third Person Shooter.

Alone in the Dark Illumination release date announced

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By cornbredx

They just posted an announcement on their steam page here that Alone in The Dark Illumination is set to release 6/9/2015 (this coming Tuesday). What an odd practice it is to announce the release date of a game days from the actual release. It probably doesn't bode well, but who knows. Like curses, such things are superstitions not really worth putting too much thought into (my apologies in advance for anyone who puts thought into curses- it's cool, we're cool right?).

There isn't really much talk about this game, which makes sense since Atari can't afford much these days (and there hasn't been an AITD game worth talking about since... a long long time ago), but I am cautiously awaiting this games release.

If nothing else I've been interested only because after creating the survival horror genre AITD as a series went on to do... almost nothing worth experiencing.

Sure there were some interesting concepts throughout the years, but it always seemed like Resident Evil picked up the slack and really went for it. After that AITD never really caught up.

To be honest I don't know much about this game (it's wiki page on Giant Bomb doesn't even know much apparently) so we'll all have to wait and see I guess.

Anyone else watching this game to see what's up with it? Or am I alone in that?

Edit: Here's a beta impressions video from Eurogamer that is pretty good at analyzing the game as it was in beta.

Will it be better on release? I mean, as many actual Betas (and Alphas for that matter) as I have done I can't help, but be cynical about this one. That, and the series has an unfortunate history of mediocrity.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I'm going to buy it. I really didn't like the last one even though I practically got every achievement, but I need to know what this game is so ima get it when it comes out.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't remember if it was Gamespot or IGN, but the preview for this game looked abysmal and I don't trust Atari with anything especially after Haunted House Cryptic Graves.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By T_wester

From what I have seen a preview on eurogamer, are the game a shoddy left4dead inspired co-up shooter with the Alan Wake flash light mechanic and bad puzzles.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Couldn't even remove the crosshairs from the screenshots, huh.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya, I watched the video Eurogamer did (thank you @t_wester)

This game looks bad in a bad way that's bad. I think the biggest crime is how generic and dull it looks.

That's a shame. Alone in the dark, I guess, is doomed to mediocrity at this point (probably has been since the movie- but one could hold out hope if they want to, right?). Unless someone with a real vision somehow gets a hold of the license.

I'll post the video from Eurogamer in the OP.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Good lord, this seems positively terrible. Why even bother? I mean, c'mon...the AitD name just doesn't hold enough sway to sell a few more copies. Why even bolt the name onto a bland co-op shooter and further tarnish the legacy?

I think it is a bit unfair to say that none of the other AitD games are worth talking about. The 2008 game, while not really good by any stretch, was at least ambitious and tried some interesting things. If only it played better. Although I heard that the re-release fixed many of its problems and turned it into something actually fun.

Also, no one ever talks about The New Nightmare, but I fucking LOVED that game as a kid. It basically, ironically, lifted everything it had from Resident Evil and was a fairly standard survival horror game, mechanically speaking. But I'll be damned if it wasn't effectively scary and if it didn't have some of the best puzzles the genre had seen. I still have a copy...maybe I should try loading it up one day soon.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_:

I think it is a bit unfair to say that none of the other AitD games are worth talking about.

That's why I didn't say that (I don't think anyone did). I said "There isn't really much talk about this game, which makes sense since Atari can't afford much these days (and there hasn't been an AITD game worth talking about since... a long long time ago), but I am cautiously awaiting this games release."

7 years is a long time and even the 2008 version is only half a game (when that half even works) and the other half is "destroy a whole bunch of evil trees". Very sloppy game making even if you enjoy the first half of what that game tried to be (which I mostly did despite how much the game actively tries to make you hate everything about it).

Also, no one ever talks about The New Nightmare, but I fucking LOVED that game as a kid. It basically, ironically, lifted everything it had from Resident Evil and was a fairly standard survival horror game, mechanically speaking. But I'll be damned if it wasn't effectively scary and if it didn't have some of the best puzzles the genre had seen. I still have a copy...maybe I should try loading it up one day soon.

I do. I talk about all the Alone in the dark games, though. And the hilariously bad movie. I wasn't a kid when it came out, though. I was fighting in wars, weirdly enough. I played that for the first time while on deployment to Iraq.

The thing is, though, even that one is a mediocre game. While probably the better one to go back to it doesn't do anything particularly special (although it may have been the first game with the light mechanic like Alan Wake- I can't remember if there was another game before that that did that) and may be only great if you had never experienced Resident Evil before it. As I said, though, RE did what AITD should have before AITD could, thereby leaving it in the dust.

That's not to say AiTD could never do anything. It's a franchise that is plagued by business problems which generally leads to unsuccessful entertainment. So, it never did.

It's a shame, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I didn't even remember this game existed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.