Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alone in the Dark

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 24, 2008

A reboot of the Alone in the Dark series, once again following Edward Carnby in his fight against the vile creatures of the darkness.

Alone in the Dark

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

Pretty weird feeling.. To play a game, know it's bad, but simultaneously be so happy that it exists. It feels like for every thing AitD did very wrong, it did one thing very right. I remember people being so unhappy about the mid section where you go burn all those roots, but I was *delighted* by that section. The worst part of the game, easily, was the story progression, and the best part was messing with fire and all the little physics subsystems, and getting the leash taken off in that way put the game in its best possible light, I feel.

I dig through all my games (crates of them at this point), and every time I lay eyes on AitD I get that nice warm nostalgic buzz. I just had such a wonderful time with it. It's such a shame it's more likely to be remembered for its technical issues than for its wild ambition and generosity. Sigh. Gamers are so fickle, but I guess you can't blame them anyway. You pay 60 bucks, you expect quality in no uncertain terms. But if you can check it out for 10, I'd really recommend it, especially if you found pleasure in games like Deadly Premonition, another game that's wildly out of its depth but comes out better for it.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

Pretty weird feeling.. To play a game, know it's bad, but simultaneously be so happy that it exists. It feels like for every thing AitD did very wrong, it did one thing very right. I remember people being so unhappy about the mid section where you go burn all those roots, but I was *delighted* by that section. The worst part of the game, easily, was the story progression, and the best part was messing with fire and all the little physics subsystems, and getting the leash taken off in that way put the game in its best possible light, I feel.

I dig through all my games (crates of them at this point), and every time I lay eyes on AitD I get that nice warm nostalgic buzz. I just had such a wonderful time with it. It's such a shame it's more likely to be remembered for its technical issues than for its wild ambition and generosity. Sigh. Gamers are so fickle, but I guess you can't blame them anyway. You pay 60 bucks, you expect quality in no uncertain terms. But if you can check it out for 10, I'd really recommend it, especially if you found pleasure in games like Deadly Premonition, another game that's wildly out of its depth but comes out better for it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I got it for free and probably got less than an hour in. Technical issues are one thing, unusable controls are quite another.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sunjammer

Yeah the first impression is rotten.. Until you're at central park, the game isn't much fun to be honest. The driving is "fine" in the same way it's "fine" in Deadly Premonition, but it certainly isn't "fine" when the game asks you to drive precisely or die. The controls on foot aren't "unusable", but they're overly complicated. You CAN get used to them. And when you do, it's really pretty special. But yeah, if I'd not persevered through the shitty beginning, its unlikely I'd be speaking so warmly of it now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.