Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alone in the Dark

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 24, 2008

A reboot of the Alone in the Dark series, once again following Edward Carnby in his fight against the vile creatures of the darkness.

General impressions of Alone in the Dark.

Avatar image for majesticoverlord
    MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MajesticOverlord

I don't blame reviewers and gamers for completely demolishing this game with words and in some cases with their fists but I've got to be completely honest. Putting aside the atrocious, horrid, blinding driving physics, character controls, FPS aspects?! (which by the way was a complete joke) I had a hell of a run and enjoyed myself throughout, it was even the first game I scored 1000G on. Not to mention the Soundtrack which I enjoyed and still do on some occasions. 

Does anyone here agree with me? 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MajesticOverlord said:
    " I don't blame reviewers and gamers for completely demolishing this game with words and in some cases with their fists but I've got to be completely honest. Putting aside the atrocious, horrid, blinding driving physics, character controls, FPS aspects?! (which by the way was a complete joke) I had a hell of a run and enjoyed myself throughout, it was even the first game I scored 1000G on. Not to mention the Soundtrack which I enjoyed and still do on some occasions. 

"
    It had good ideas but where carried out poorly. Soundtrack might be the best part of the game. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MajesticOverlord said:
    " I don't blame reviewers and gamers for completely demolishing this game with words and in some cases with their fists but I've got to be completely honest. Putting aside the atrocious, horrid, blinding driving physics, character controls, FPS aspects?! (which by the way was a complete joke) I had a hell of a run and enjoyed myself throughout, it was even the first game I scored 1000G on. Not to mention the Soundtrack which I enjoyed and still do on some occasions. 

"
    It had good ideas but where carried out poorly. Soundtrack might be the best part of the game.  "
    Soundtrack was by far the best part along with some of the set pieces despite the gameplay ruining most  of them.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Interesting ideas, many of them poorly executed. They tried to fix some stuff with the PS3 version, shame the 360 never got a patch.

MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MajesticOverlord

It's an absolute shame, especially when you take in to consideration the video diaries that the team had posted about how they were pouring their hearts into making the game... In all honestly it's a complete  embarrassment. 

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180
    @MajesticOverlord: I don't get the destroying with a fist reference?
    MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MajesticOverlord
    @craigbo180 said:
    " @MajesticOverlord: I don't get the destroying with a fist reference? "
    Imagine the Alone in the Dark CD and then someone using their clenched fist to completely wreck it. 
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BombKareshi
    @MajesticOverlord: I agree with you.

Despite the crummy controls and some battles with the camera, I got one hell of a thrill from the game. It looks great and I found that it's amazingly fun to play. The soundtrack is epic and the story is... interesting.

Of course, I had to consider Edward Carnby (affectionately referred to as "Ed" by my sister and myself) a somewhat comedic character in the context of this game. Playing with gasoline and getting himself burned as he does, and speaking his own Latin  (I'm referring especially to such unintentionally humorous lines as "I don't have your stone, and fuck you anyway!").

I look forward to giving this gem another playthrough sometime.
    MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MajesticOverlord
    @BombKareshi said:
    " @MajesticOverlord: I agree with you.Despite the crummy controls and some battles with the camera, I got one hell of a thrill from the game. It looks great and I found that it's amazingly fun to play. The soundtrack is epic and the story is... interesting.Of course, I had to consider Edward Carnby (affectionately referred to as "Ed" by my sister and myself) a somewhat comedic character in the context of this game. Playing with gasoline and getting himself burned as he does, and speaking his own Latin  (I'm referring especially to such unintentionally humorous lines as "I don't have your stone, and fuck you anyway!").I look forward to giving this gem another playthrough sometime. "
    I especially love Edwards "Latin" and all the out of place profanity. 
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By craigbo180
    @MajesticOverlord: Yeah I got that part but was there a reviewer that actually posted a video of himself destroying the disk by punching it? I thought you was referencing some well known review where someone went OTT and destroyed the disk.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I played it on PS2 I think...

Wasnt breath-taking.

I did get many flashbacks however when seeing the first screens for Alan Wake.

They felt similar.

MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MajesticOverlord
    @craigbo180 said:
    " @MajesticOverlord: Yeah I got that part but was there a reviewer that actually posted a video of himself destroying the disk by punching it? I thought you was referencing some well known review where someone went OTT and destroyed the disk. "
    Haha, No I haven't seen any videos of people doing that but I have seen some other crazy shit. People freaking out and destroying their consoles ect. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.