Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Quick thoughts on Alpha Protocol.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By WalkerTR77

I recently rented alpha protocol, after reading the review I had reservations (hence not purchasing it) but since I've been on a burn notice binge lately I decided to grab it and roleplay as Michael Weston to make the most out of it.

On the plus side I've found the conversation segments to be well built as well as satisfying while the same goes for the complex choices you make throughout the game. All of these choices seem to have a decent weight to them and are followed up quite thoroughly which is nice, as is the lack of a morality meter. Also the fact that a number of missions involve only conversation is refreshing and the allows the game to portray something more akin to real spycraft without shoehorning in a lot of unnecessary action.

And then we come to the action. I have to say Jeff's points were completely salient here, initially I tried to spread out my points fairly evenly which resulted in a lot of frustration. Unless you put a considerable number of points into a weapon category, you end up spraying hails of bullets into enemies which never actually find their target. Once I had followed Jeff's path of filling the stealth and machine gun categories things were much smoother and more enjoyable. Still, the AI remained atrocious and having Michael become invisible is rather jarring and breaks immersion no matter how many times you see it.

On the whole I am enjoying it, though it's a difficult game to recommend . If you are interested, your fist port of call should be Jeff's review, which adequately evaluates a game which could have easily been written off as broken or unfinished. Personally I do feel it's worth checking out, flaws and all.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WalkerTR77

I recently rented alpha protocol, after reading the review I had reservations (hence not purchasing it) but since I've been on a burn notice binge lately I decided to grab it and roleplay as Michael Weston to make the most out of it.

On the plus side I've found the conversation segments to be well built as well as satisfying while the same goes for the complex choices you make throughout the game. All of these choices seem to have a decent weight to them and are followed up quite thoroughly which is nice, as is the lack of a morality meter. Also the fact that a number of missions involve only conversation is refreshing and the allows the game to portray something more akin to real spycraft without shoehorning in a lot of unnecessary action.

And then we come to the action. I have to say Jeff's points were completely salient here, initially I tried to spread out my points fairly evenly which resulted in a lot of frustration. Unless you put a considerable number of points into a weapon category, you end up spraying hails of bullets into enemies which never actually find their target. Once I had followed Jeff's path of filling the stealth and machine gun categories things were much smoother and more enjoyable. Still, the AI remained atrocious and having Michael become invisible is rather jarring and breaks immersion no matter how many times you see it.

On the whole I am enjoying it, though it's a difficult game to recommend . If you are interested, your fist port of call should be Jeff's review, which adequately evaluates a game which could have easily been written off as broken or unfinished. Personally I do feel it's worth checking out, flaws and all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I really do want to try this game out. Though difficult finding it at the price I'd be willing to pay for it. PLAY.com had it on a sale for £25 but they'de never send it >=/

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By warxsnake

I couldn't stand it :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

My recommendation for that game has always been "It is not a game that plays well... however, it is a game worth playing."

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Joshakazam

Doesn't the crounch just....annoy you?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WalkerTR77
    @Abyssfull:  It's £20 on amazon, and for that price I was tempted, certainly worth a rental though.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

From its public appearance, it seems to be a game to be played a certain way. Curious enough, the way to be played is the way I would have played it in the first place. I might, but never sure, buy it one day, so many others fall in this category.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.