#Amiibogate

zeo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zeo12

Mod edit: Here is the story the user is referring to: http://tay.kotaku.com/nintendo-fans-are-annoyed-by-the-downgrade-in-amiibo-qu-1650977502

Forget #gamergate because #amiibogate its coming after the massive downgrade most of the figures suffered from tradeshows showing and those Amazon pre order pages! Cmon nintendo. ( just look for the link, peach and wii fit amiibo comparison on twitter)

Thanks to the providence that the DK amiibo still looks good.

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By JYoung

What

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh, fuck me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What video? You should link it because I can't find it on youtube.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can find nothing else about this anywhere.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Dunno if this is accurate but this is the closest thing I could find to what I imagine the OP is referring to.

Also, I looked at some of the pictures (assuming again this is accurate) and it didn't look any worse than how I was expecting. I never really assumed the intitial reveal was representative of the product.

Edit: Ugh my link isn't working for some reason

Edit 2: Wait...did I fix it? Nope. Anyway, I found a thread at gamefaqs that has a comparison for (I think) every Amiibo. Again, it all looks fine. Kinda what I was expecting. Link probably looks the worst because of the awkward shaft thing, but I think Peach looks fine. Still totally gonna buy the Peach one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Here's an article on what the OP mentions.

http://tay.kotaku.com/nintendo-fans-are-annoyed-by-the-downgrade-in-amiibo-qu-1650977502

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't look that bad. Except for Peach, anyway, that's a pretty big quality difference.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an article on what the OP mentions.

http://tay.kotaku.com/nintendo-fans-are-annoyed-by-the-downgrade-in-amiibo-qu-1650977502

Oh, wow. That really sucks. I saw them at an event a few months ago and got pretty excited at the level of quality they showed.

madman356647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amiibogate? Really? Please, just stop.

You expected the -prototypes- to be the final product? I've bought hundreds of minis, and I can assure you this happens all the time, especially when mass production is involved. This is why you don't preorder figures without seeing the final thing!

Plus for curved parts, happens all the time with soft plastics. A soak in boiling water and a dunk in cold water helps. Paint jobs are better than how the infinity figures turned out tho/look good.

F'in RAWR! Video games are over again.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pictures for those who don't want to follow that link

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar

I'm less put off by the comparison between the two and more by the fact that I just think they look really crap.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steadying

To be fair though, these were always meant to be " toys " to be used with the game, not expensive, high quality collector figures or anything.

Doesn't make showing the " prototypes " on Amazon and other store pages okay, nor do I think people are unjustified in their displeasure with this, but yeah.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Why does Link look like has a huge catheter? Just make it clear..

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator  Online

Eh, this happens with toys. Concept vs. manufacturing realities is pretty big and this happens. Nintendo probably should have emphasized those were concepts and prototypes and not final products.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I see someone slap "gate" at the end of something to stir up controversy I want to punch them in the face.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, they look like absolute garbage.

The prototype defense doesn't work either, because the "prototypes" were what was on fucking Amazon. Glad I didn't buy any of those.

I don't even have a Wii U, I just thought about collecting them

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

These toys look tiny compared to what Disney and Activision are selling for their Toys-to-Life franchises. Has anyone done size comparisons yet?

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By EwanSuttie

The video on the Nintendo website pitches Amiibo as something that kids carry around with them to a friends house. The original designs look excellent but quite delicate and more suited to display collections. The actual production versions seem more robust, so I think they'll have a better chance at being thrown round in a kid's bag, even so that Link sword would be rather easy to snap off compared to the "chunky" design of skylanders.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

These things likely will get used as a one off use for Smash or maybe one other title they may try to push with them. The rest of the time they will probably sit on a shelf collecting dust.

So part of me says, "So? These things looked stupid anyway". The rational part says that if they are likely going to go unused on a shelf after 3 months, they should look half decent.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Steadying

@mbradley1992: Pretty sure there's already other games that are planned to support them, and knowing Nintendo, they'll probably try to give them functionality in all their big games to come.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying: There's never going to be a big Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, or other big franchise that requires them. They may make a Skylanders/Infinity clone, but they aren't going to start locking system selling franchise games behind them. So they will inevitably end up like most people's 2-3 year old Skylanders toys, sitting around on shelves because the game is old.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: I don't think any game ever is going to "require" them. The whole point seems to be that they unlock optional extras. You don't necessarily have to have a big Metroid or Star Fox game to give them use. For example, if Bayonetta 2 had come out like a year later I'm almost certain that Amiibo's would have have been used to unlock those Nintendo costumes.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe they're not releasing a new R.O.B. the Robot whose only purpose is to awkwardly swap your amibos to & from your gamepad for you. That's the real #amiibogate!

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Exactly. And once you've used them to get the extras, they're just going to sit on a shelf for awhile. So yeah, they're pretty silly, especially for the price, for what you'll get out of them. But since they will spend most of their time on a shelf, they should at least look less like cheap plastic.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are going to be $13?!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: I don't disagree that they should look a little better, but what else do you expect out of them? If they do get supported across several games they really aren't that expensive.

To be honest, I was quite surprised the prototypes looked as nice as they did for the price they were asking, especially with extra hardware built in. While what they're offering is kinda disappointing, I'm not all that shocked either.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These were never meant for me and I suspected they would be of a low quality to start with so I'm not disappointed or surprised, I guess I feel bad for people who are let down by this.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rollingzeppelin

This is why you don't pre-order shit people.

Also, I'm really tired of every single dumb "controversy" involving anything being called ___gate. Are people this creatively bankrupt? Why is it that no story gains traction unless it has a stupid name attached to it?

I'm grumpy. Flying for 13 hours will do that to you.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey quit calling shit "*gate" you monsters.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This may sound cruel but I'm so sick of this -gate shit.... First Celebragate, then gamergate, and now this garbage? How the hell can anyone compare this trash to the original watergate scandal is a moron. Yeah they may look different but shut up about this whatevergate filth...

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that's a pretty huge dip in quality. I'd be annoyed with this if I was interested in it.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20 said:

This may sound cruel but I'm so sick of this -gate shit.... First Celebragate, then gamergate, and now this garbage? How the hell can anyone compare this trash to the original watergate scandal is a moron. Yeah they may look different but shut up about this whatevergate filth...

It's been going on for at least a couple of decades now so I wouldn't count on it going away anytime soon. It is truly Nixon's worst legacy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heyguys said:

@mason20 said:

It's been going on for at least a couple of decades now so I wouldn't count on it going away anytime soon. It is truly Nixon's worst legacy.

I suggest that there be a new Giant Bomb rule. Just as we can't use profanity in a title, we also can't use "-gate". All profanity and -gate's should be replaced with "puppy" in thread titles.

Now this thread is: #Amiibopuppy

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Steadying

@truthtellah: also no hashtags or " :V " emotes. I feel like these are reasonable requests.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If these were something that interested me, I'd feel ripped off.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the biggest reason people are pissed is that you can't see Peach's panties anymore.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess said:

I think the biggest reason people are pissed is that you can't see Peach's panties anymore.

Wait, you can't? Well now that's just plain old false advertising! :o

First non-playable Ridley and cross-buy Mewtwo, now this. Nintendo are inhuman monsters.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By korwin

Ima start a #Gategate tag, because that's what we do now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.