Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

amiibo

Concept »

Amiibo is Nintendo's NFC figurine and card program that works across multiple games. Amiibo work natively with the Nintendo Wii U via the NFC reader in the Wii U GamePad and the New Nintendo 3DS. In 2015, Nintendo will release an accessory for the original Nintendo 3DS that lets players use Amiibo on it as well.

Sell me on Amiibos

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is there any reason to buy an Amiibo? What exactly is an Amiibo and what does it do? So far as I can tell they're cheaply made and give your mii a costume in MK8. I also have Smash Bros. Do they do anything useful for that? Is it true you can't use it for multiple games?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

Don't buy one. That's my sales pitch.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jadegl

Honestly, as someone who loves little figures (I have all of the first batch of Skylanders plus a few more from each subsequent iteration, plus some Infinity 2.0 figures) I would say not to if you're feeling any doubt. So far the usability of the Amiibos leaves a lot to be desired, and without further information it looks like they are far less interactive than Skylanders or Disney Infinity toys.

I am only purchasing the characters I love love love for amiibos, and only on sale. Toys R Us was doing a deal and my husband and I ordered Mario, Peach and Kirby. Later, we plan on getting Villager and Sonic (his choices) and Zelda and Rosalina (my choices) and we'll probably look for a sale before we buy.

I want to see what happens and if more interactivity is added, but at this point it looks like they're actually just Smash Bros figures with very limited uses in other games, like the racing suits in Mario Kart 8.

But again, we don't know what the later announcements will be, this is just my opinion based on what has been revealed so far. They claim they will be compatible with other games, like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Yoshi's Woolly World, but what that means? No idea.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

bastard stole my shitty joke!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amiibos are better, and cooler...and in conclusion, the list goes on. Amiibos life!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

These here premium Official Nintendo Entertainment figurines are 100% authentic Nintendo merchandise bottled straight from the source at Lake Miyamoto, Nintendo Island. You won't find a purer rendition of crystalized Nintendo than these lovingly hand-crafted designs. The term "A.M.I.I.B.O" is an anagram for Anodized Miniature Intimate Interesting Booty Organism, and they each come with a sentient core, which means your Amiibo figurine is furthermore able to play video games with you. They've come all the way from the year 2642 just for your video gaming pleasure. This means they're also able to interface with your Nintendo Entertainment System Wii-2 and actually download you video game content from the future. This here is a class-2 civilization technlogy. Don't be a jabroni playing with your sticks and stones. The future is now. Amiibo forever.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's well-made figures of Nintendo characters. If that sentence doesn't grab you, don't get them. The game functionality is secondary for me to just having all those sweet characters on my shelf.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don't even have a wii u and I want Kirby and as a joke, wii fit lady. depends how big they are. Space is at a premium on my desk

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9 chaser324  Moderator

Unless you're really hyped about the limited functionality that's currently been shown off, you probably shouldn't buy them. If you just want a cool Nintendo character figure, there are a lot out there that are far cooler and not that much more expensive.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigmess

I just bought the Marth amiibo when I got my copy and it looks pretty shitty. The sword is all flacid, his face is scary, he's got a bad haircut and there seems to be excess white paint on his black pants.

I knew going in the quality was bad but I just had to know how dumb this amiiber stuff was.

That said, some of the other characters looked good. I'll definitely buy a Ness figure if they make one.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bigmess said:

I just bought the Marth amiibo when I got my copy and it looks pretty shitty. The sword is all flacid, his face is scary, he's got a bad haircut and there seems to be excess white paint on his black pants.

I knew going in the quality was bad but I just had to know how dumb this amiiber stuff was.

That said, some of the other characters looked good. I'll definitely buy a Ness figure if they make one.

Flaccid sword and excess whiteness on his pants? Marth...Marth, buddy. Pull yourself together.

I was really considering getting a Yoshi figure for my mother for Christmas, but like what @chaser324 said, it seems like you could purchase novelty Nintendo figures elsewhere for much higher quality.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

Unless you're really hyped about the limited functionality that's currently been shown off, you probably shouldn't buy them. If you just want a cool Nintendo character figure, there are a lot out there that are far cooler and not that much more expensive.

This is a great point. I am getting the few I mentioned to use with Smash and to see how they'll work with other games, but if you really want a cool looking figure, there are other and maybe better or cheaper options out there.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

read this as sell me an animus

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ripelivejam: What if all along, the reason the Assassin's Creed series is becoming stale garbage is because Ubi is dumping all the profits into actually developing the Animus, and the AC games are just elaborate ads mentally preparing us for how cool it will be to have an Animus?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@azrailx said:

@aegon said:

bastard stole my shitty joke!

But is it really a joke?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'm gonna get a few of the characters I like, because I like them, and also probably Shulk. If that's not how you feel you should probably not get them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero

It's kind of a bummer how superfluous their game integration is. Well, I guess it saves me money because I can just pass on them entirely, but I'd rather that Nintendo come up with ideas that aren't a waste of their time and money.

It's weird that they're trying to integrate them in an inoffensive way into existing games (thus making the Amiibos irrelevant) instead of just making Nintendo Skylanders, which is the more obvious use, especially when the Nintendo brand is increasingly trying to target children. I guess this is another case of "Nintendo choosing to be completely oblivious to the competition's products, and insisting they redesign the wheel themselves, instead of realizing that games that came out 1-2 years ago are already doing their idea better, and they should do their own take on the conperitor's idea." I guarantee Nintendo could make a 3D action platformer thing that plays as well or better than Skylanders/Disney Infinity.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

It rhymes with Dean Ambrose.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jadegl

@i_stay_puft said:

It rhymes with Dean Ambrose.

This guy here gets it. Perfect reasoning, flawless logic, you have now convinced me to purchase the entire run of amiibos.

No Caption Provided

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By spraynardtatum

I think they're just the right amount of useless on a console that no one owns that they'll be worth some money down the road.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BisonHero

@jadegl: Dean Amiibrose? ENGLISH DESERVES BETTER THAN THIS.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Do you like figurines? Do you like Nintendo? If so buy them, you will only get more value out of them if you play games that use them.

That's how I see them. They are collectables with in-game bonuses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.