Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

amiibo

Concept »

Amiibo is Nintendo's NFC figurine and card program that works across multiple games. Amiibo work natively with the Nintendo Wii U via the NFC reader in the Wii U GamePad and the New Nintendo 3DS. In 2015, Nintendo will release an accessory for the original Nintendo 3DS that lets players use Amiibo on it as well.

So... do they actually suck in person?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've recently started looking at some Amiibo's, after ordering the limited edition 20th Anniversary Pokemon 3DS just to try one out. But the thing that bums me out a little bit is that they seem to be of pretty poor quality. Anyone who knows me on these forums knows that I have quite a few different anime statues in my game room, and I realize that those can cost anywhere between $70 - $200+ whereas Amiibo's are generally no more then $30, but what you see in those advertisement pictures of those statues is what you get. The final product usually looks as good, if not better. I was looking at Peach specifically and it looked like the bullshot ad version looks so much better then the real product, with actual engravings on her dress and real details on her broach (I think that's what it's called.)

The face just looks wrong too.
    The face just looks wrong too.

From my experience any of the figures that actually require any intricate detail, like the Fire Emblem ones or the Zelda ones look kind of bad as opposed to the easier cartoon looking ones like Pokemon. Is this true in the experience of Amiibo owners, if those exist outside of Dan.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I have toon Link and regular Link and they both seem fine. Do they surve any purpose besides me having them on a shelf? No, but that is besides the point.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have toon Link and regular Link and they both seem fine. Do they surve any purpose besides me having them on a shelf? No, but that is besides the point.

I think toon Link looked great from what I saw, but regular Link seemed to have a weird face.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I suppose it depends on what Amiibo you get, like the more detailed the character the more goofy the flaws and cheapness will appear.

I have Mewtwo and Pac Man and they look... fine, I guess? Pac Man's shade of yellow is a bit darker than it should be but otherwise it's fine. I did briefly have a Palutena one and besides the face that was one of the nicer ones as far as detail goes. For $13... you get what you pay for and nothing more really.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The ones I have seen look nice. Better than I thought they would actually.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've got a few and they all are cute. The only one I have with a painted? face is the Kirby Amiibo and he looks right. Though...kirby doesn't really have much going on in the details department to start with.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the three Amiibo I have (Pikachu, Megaman and Captain Falcon) I think they all look pretty darn good for figures that are supposed to be this cheap. Even Captain Falcon who has a lot more detail on him than my other two looks pretty darn good but I understand that he was released later and Nintendo got the manufacturing process down.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They are $13 children's toys. What do you expect?

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got that 3 pack Splatoon one and the quality of it seems good.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the earlier ones (which are the ones you are specifically talking about it seems) were a little more iffy on quality. I mean mostly that they showed a prototype, which of course is going to look really nice, and then the actual produced products did not meet that prototype. The faces on the more human characters tend to look less detailed or a little "off" maybe, but I find the cartoon characters are really great. And, as they have continued making them, I find that the ones coming out more recently are much nicer and the details are better. I think it's also them finding their footing on producing the figures and finding what works and what makes for a good looking figure and what doesn't work.

But, my favorite figures are ones that aren't really realistic looking. I think my favorites are Pac-Man and Duck Hunt. I do have some of the more realistic amiibos, like Rosalina, and I think they look nice. Sure, they're not prototype nice (they were never going to be, imo) but they do look good and the newer ones look even better.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

While some people may collect them, these are not collectibles. For $13, one should temper their expectations on what they are getting. Even then, they're actually well produced for what they are.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think this just show of the UN-FIXABLE dichotomy of the whole "toys to life" environment. These figures are part of the game -so cheap enough to buy, yet most people have them as collectibles -so they wish they were of high quality? You can't really fix that when you try to split the difference without missing out on sales or disappointng adult fans.

I'm not saying it is easy and as I said this could be un-fixable, since the figures have to fit into the world that aldready has decades of Gasapon toy-capsules to fight.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Superkenon

The quality is good. I'll echo the sentiment that some of the 'human' characters have funny lookin' faces, but the more cartoony characters/creatures are effin' rad. Every single Animal Crossing amiibo is beautiful.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

Wow, her hands are less detailed in the real product too. I was actually on the fence of buying one of these once--I love Chibi Robo, and Super Mario Bros. is probably the first game I ever beat--but I started looking at the quality of the products, and considered that I don't have a gaming use for it. It just seems like if you want a nice display piece of one of these Nintendo characters there are probably way better options. These seem okay for their relatively low investment, but they are not really something that I think look cool enough to own just as a display piece.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not sure what you're expecting for 12-13 bucks but I've been pretty satisfied so far. People are definitely correct the later waves have been higher quality on average but I think the detail and paint jobs have been very good for a figure that cheap.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only have Lucina and she looks great if you ask me.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hatking: I have a Chibi Robo, and it looks fine. If you're worried, just check one out at a store instead of ordering online.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still tempt myself wirh getting the neondroid toon link figure but i already have enough crap cluttering my desk.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still tempt myself wirh getting the neondroid toon link figure but i already have enough crap cluttering my desk.

What on earth could possibly be more worth having on your desk than a Toon Link figure?!?! Throw all the shit away!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Each one hand painted or I'm out

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dixavd

I think most of mine look great. Shulk and Lucina look even better in person (and Yarn Yoshi is just the cutest :3). Here are pictures I took of mine for another thread on a similar topic a few weeks ago.

Edit - Sorry about the slightly blurry images: while my phone has a pretty good camera, I have tremors which it doesn't cope super well with. Also ignore Link's slightly bent sword; that's from moving it between my home and University addresses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.