Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 10, 2013

Sequel to 2010's Amnesia: The Dark Descent, this time developed by thechineseroom, with Frictional Games producing and publishing.

Squeal Like A Pig in A Machine

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

I tried hard to come up with a clever/stupid title for this thread and I believe I succeeded in that! Anyhoo, figured I should make a new thread for this, since the last "proper" discussion one is already over an year old and the game is finally coming out, on September 10th to be more specific.

My experience of Amnesia limits to being freaked out in the demo, watching some Let's Play videos and buying the full one from Steam sales last year (haven't played it properly yet, of course). Despite that, I still decided to buy AMFP, since there can't be enough (hopefully) good horror games.

Aaaand now that I'm waiting for this to come out, I'm trying to decide between whatever to play Dark Descent first or not. I'm kinda leaning towards "not" since I'd like to keep the gameplay experience fresh-ish and what with AMFP happening 60 years after the first game and has a different protagonist, it probably shouldn't be necessary to experience the first game in order to make sense of the plot, rite?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'd recommend playing the first one, even though it's not required. It's made by a different developer, and they've stated that they want AAMFP to feel fresh even to people who played the first one.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I am both excited and not excited for this game at the same time. I want to play it, but I'm going to hate every second of it.

Fuck headphones.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

"You look juss like a hog... Juss like a hog... I bet you'd squeal like one too. Come on, squeal for me! Squeal! WEEEEEEEEE! COME ON, SQUEAL, WEEEEEEE! weeh... WEEEEEEE... weeh.. weeh... WEEEEEEEEEEEE!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest fear is that Hamnesia will suffer the horror curse of being too familiar. I replayed Dark Descent a couple days ago, and I was mildly startled one time throughout. By contrast, my first playthrough was absolutely harrowing. It's not over-familiarity with the progression that was the problem (my memory is awful), it was that I knew what the creatures could and couldn't do, and atmosphere became rote mechanics.

If the new creatures don't have a whole new set of tricks, The Pork Descent will be massively disappointing.

That said, play the first one. It's a fantastic game, and the prison section is one of my all-time favorite horror experiences.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"You look juss like a hog... Juss like a hog... I bet you'd squeal like one too. Come on, squeal for me! Squeal! WEEEEEEEEE! COME ON, SQUEAL, WEEEEEEE! weeh... WEEEEEEE... weeh.. weeh... WEEEEEEEEEEEE!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Gawd I felt sorry for the look-like-a hog guy, and it seemed like it caused some deep resentment in him.

I have Machine for Pigs on pre-order with their 15 or so % off. I don't know how I will feel about the game, but I really liked how Dark Descent was put together. And the graphics were pretty good also. Normally I do not go for pure horror, but the pure honesty of not being to defend oneself actually won me over. Otherwise I'd prefer go the other route and Dead Space it. Nothing inbetween

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@shagge: its a different developer so I suspect they will have new tricks. We'll see, though, how they do.

I have the game on pre-order on steam- which I never do.

Oh ya, i'm terribly excited to play this game. Unlike everybody else who seems to not want to.

COME ON AMNESIA- TERRIFY ME AGAIN!!!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

@shagge: its a different developer so I suspect they will have new tricks. We'll see, though, how they do.

Yeah, that's part of my worry. Frictional is truly in a class of their own. Now, if they had gotten the White Day (the only game I found scarier than Amnesia) devs to do the sequel...

All concern aside, bring on the bacon!

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FengShuiGod

I wonder if games like this and Outlast are the next CoD/Rockband bubble. I have been playing stuff like this for awhile and it was super effective, but half way through Amnesia the jig was up for me. After I came face to face with a monster I kind of realized the whole thing is a game and the sense of tension that permeated the genre just kind of dissipated. I was able to run through the rest of the game with no problem except my own boredom. I felt the Penumbra games were really fun too, but the game play between Amnesia, Penumbra, and the Slender stuff is really similar. Hopefully Pigs brings something new to the table beyond keep your sanity/avoid shambling horrors/collect stuff/solve puzzle. The whole thing kind of hinges on you being scared of the monsters, and once you get used to the trope the game loses its ability to have that awesome tension, at least for me.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By sawtooth

High hopes for this. If they can nail the ambiance and sound design, while losing the clunkiness of some of the originals mechanics, it'd be a masterpiece. That being said, really took issue with the inability to fight back in any meaningful way in the original. Ijust an immersion thing that stuck out, in my opinion. They really need a better ending for machine for pigs because dark decent just got really goofy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

porcus ex machina?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Playing it right now on my review code. I find it a bit less scary than the first one so far. And oh man those framerate drops :(.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

I have the game on pre-order on steam- which I never do.

Oh ya, i'm terribly excited to play this game. Unlike everybody else who seems to not want to.

COME ON AMNESIA- TERRIFY ME AGAIN!!!

As I understand it they are co-developing, at least every website lists Frictional as involved still

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

Playing it right now on my review code. I find it a bit less scary than the first one so far. And oh man those framerate drops :(.

That's unfortunate.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have to replay that first game. I never found it as scary as everyone else did, but this time I'll try it out in the dark with headphones. Still don't think it will beat Silent Hill 2 for me, though.

Also, should I get around to watching Deliverance?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@klei said:

That sounds like a bummer. One has to wonder why the framerate would drop like that. How many pigs do they try to fit on the screen at once?

Still looking forward to it though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity
    black2s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Playing a review copy myself. Psssst, it's awesome duders. And no framedrops for me.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black2s said:

Playing a review copy myself. Psssst, it's awesome duders. And no framedrops for me.

How do they handle puzzles in it? I'm tempted to buy it, but I never really cared for how they handled puzzles in Amnesia/Penumbra games. It's hard to tell what's interactible and what isn't sometimes. Which may be on purpose, but it often leads to obtuse solutions and frustrating moments between the scares and exploration.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

?????

Well, okay then.

REEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEGH!

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By squiDc00kiE

@minipato: Yeah the puzzles were not why I played Amnesia. Whenever we came across one we just looked up the solution.

My friend and I played through the original together a year ago or so and the memories still get referenced in our daily conversation to this day. Hopefully our play-through of AMFP will be just as good.

Also, everyone who hasn't finished the original GO FINISH IT. The things that happen/you see in the final third of the game still send shivers up my spine when I think about them too long.

Also Dear Esther was one of my favorite experiences of this past generation so with The Chinese Room on this I'm really excited.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MarkWahlberg

'The Machines are going to fail' would seem to be the more relevant quote.

@shagge said:

Hamnesia... The Pork Descent

porcus ex machina?

Developed by The Porcine Room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.