Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

Amnesia or Penumbra?

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By StillVictor

Hi there. I saw that both Amnesia and Penumbra are on sale on Steam right now. Is there anyone who has played both that could tell me which one should I buy?

I don't usually play games on my computer, but since they launched the Steam client for mac that's slowly starting to change.

Thanks.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pibo47

I have yet to play amnesia, but i plan on it considering how much i love the penumbra games. They are soooooooooooooo goood!

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jimi

At this point penumbra may not have the same effect on you as it would have a few years ago, due to the limitations of the engine.  Amnesia takes everything that was amazing about penumbra and moves it onwards. 

In my opinion you should play Amnesia, see if you like the style and if so go back to play the penumbra series.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If I were you, I'd start with Penumbra.

That way you can move on to Amnesia later on.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

You can get Penumbra: Overture for how much you want here along with 4 other games.  Not sure if they're MAC compatible but you can redeem a code to download them on Steam. 

Edit:  Nevermind, sorry, that deal is now over.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By KillyDarko
    @StillVictor: Both, if you can! "Penumbra: Black Plague" is awesome, but "Amnesia" is even better.
    Now, if you can only buy one, this might help you decide: The Penumbra trilogy has more puzzles, Amnesia is more frightening. Either way, they're worth their money and more :)
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Penumbra. Amnesia is the better/scarier of the two, so I think it's best working your way up, otherwise Penumbra just won't seem nearly as good. However, I think Penumbra's story was better. Anyway, if you had to pick just one - Amnesia.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

After playing a little of both, I would say Amnesia but get penumbra later If you can.

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StillVictor

Thanks guys. I will definitely get Amnesia, but I may have to get Penumbra too.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By BBAlpert

@FancySoapsMan said:

If I were you, I'd start with Penumbra. That way you can move on to Amnesia later on.

This is how I'd do it. Penumbra is great, but if memory serves, it's got some pretty rough edges with the gameplay. Also, if you do play Penumbra, play that and then Black Plague. There's a third game that does a little bit more with the story, but not nearly enough to make it worth the gameplay changes. The first 2 are all about the atmosphere and tension, the third is mostly first person platforming and rudimentary physics puzzles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.