Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

Fear and Loathing in the Dark Descent

• 163 results
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By napalm

Paranormal Activity 2 is my Blair Witch Project.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#102  Edited By ChrisTaran

I really hate that "fun" is still so closely tied to video games. There have been and will be more and more great video game experiences where the word "fun" should never really be a thing.

Some of my favorite games of all time I would never label as "fun," but I still loved the experience it gave me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#103  Edited By musubi

I've played a total of 15 minutes of the game. I haven't been brave enough to go on. I don't know what it is about what they do but the tension works so well.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Orbitz89

Maybe I need to watch Communion from the beginning to get some context for that scene.. Because right now I'm incredibly disappointed with what you linked to. I was expecting something scary and what I got was confusion.

Oh and the Alien slithering back behind the door literally had me chuckling.

Nonetheless, Great Article Pat.

Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By Cogzwell

When A machine for pigs comes out, I'll buy it, play 2 hours of it, then NEVER. TOUCH. IT. EVER. AGAIN.

but bless frictional games and what they do.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By sockemjetpack

Excellent stuff. I was waiting for this story and I didn't know what exactly to expect but I'm glad it was more than an Amnesia retrospective. It's interesting what different people find scary. Blair Witch never frightened me at all but in turn the computer generated face of Cain from Robocop 2 left me sleepless. Particularly this scene:

I mean just look at the thumbnail! That's friggin' terrifying to a young kid. I remember walking into a living room where my cousins were watching the movie after we rented it. I had seen it the night before and couldn't handle seeing it again. I covered my ears and closed my eyes and inched along to wall to wherever I was going.

Getting back to the meat of the article: I never considered that a love of simulated horror could stem from the guilt of having a lack of horror in ones life. It's an interesting concept. It reminds me of doing a 30 hour fast when I was in high school to raise money for starving people. You subject yourself to a taste of what they go through in order to keep yourself humble.

Keep up the great work.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#108  Edited By Thoseposers

I'd have to disagree with you

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#109  Edited By Dagbiker

I lived right next to Burkittsville, MD, where the Blairwitch was filmed. And I couldn't stop hearing non stop about these indy film makers making a big production. So I never had that fear that the Blairwitch was real. Kinda wish I did. That would have been awesome.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Mumrik

“What the fuck am I doing? This isn’t fun. No one is forcing me to do this.”

I feel like that too Patrick. That's why I don't play horror games.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Really interesting article, Patrick.

I must admit horror games aren't for me; I couldn't even finish Dead Space

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By darkstorn

@fox01313 said:

Still one of my favorite quotes from him on Dead & Buried special dvd:

"Fear sensitizes you, your perceptions, your thoughts, you entire awareness and so if you frighten an audience they become momentarily more sensitive to everything in the film and the story, and that's one of the things that make Lovecraft's stories have such impact. Lovecraft simply isn't a catalogue of slimy frog monsters, and he's very good at creating an atmosphere of building fear, and by the time Lovecraft gets you good & scared that's when he starts to spring some of his cosmic ideas about the nature of the universe, the place of man in the universe, is there a god, is there not, the scale of the universe; and I guess his core idea is that out there somewhere things are different than they are over here. If you hit someone with this on the first page it won't mean much, but once you get the person frightened they become sensitized to anything and specifically they become sensitized to the story they're reading, the book they're seeing.

-Dan O'Bannon (Dead & Buried featurette on creating fear)

Excellent quote, Dan O'Bannon is a genius.

I'm also a big fan of Dead & Buried. It has an impressive atmosphere and was filmed in my hometown up in Northern California.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By mathey

Great stuff, Patrick!

I think there's something really interesting going on here and in the article about Spec Ops: The Line when it comes to the player's complicity in what happens in games. Even if the outcome is a foregone conclusion you're forced into by the narrowing list of options given by the designer, there's still something powerful about being the one who initiates the action.

Regarding Scary Moobies: Ever see The Changeling? Its an old, somewhat obscure George C. Scott ghost story from late '70s or early '80s. It sort of blindsided me when I saw it, and its also interesting as a clear source of inspiration for lots of later stuff (esp. Ringu).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SockemJetpack said:

Excellent stuff. I was waiting for this story and I didn't know what exactly to expect but I'm glad it was more than an Amnesia retrospective. It's interesting what different people find scary. Blair Witch never frightened me at all but in turn the computer generated face of Cain from Robocop 2 left me sleepless. Particularly this scene:

I mean just look at the thumbnail! That's friggin' terrifying to a young kid. I remember walking into a living room where my cousins were watching the movie after we rented it. I had seen it the night before and couldn't handle seeing it again. I covered my ears and closed my eyes and inched along to wall to wherever I was going.

Getting back to the meat of the article: I never considered that a love of simulated horror could stem from the guilt of having a lack of horror in ones life. It's an interesting concept. It reminds me of doing a 30 hour fast when I was in high school to raise money for starving people. You subject yourself to a taste of what they go through in order to keep yourself humble.

Keep up the great work.

Fucking Metal Gear Solid 2. Campbell's fucked up digital face in that shit. Though I wasn't a young kid at the time it kind of disturbed me. It was just so unexpected. I wasn't really scared, per se, just disturbed.

Just reminded me of that for the first time in a long time. Think I repressed that.

Avatar image for superfunhappygun
    superfunhappygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amnesia is only scary because it makes you feel weak and powerless in everything you do. Come on, you gather a crowbar but can't even use it as a means of defending yourself? If I were in the same situation I'd run and hide from the monsters too but at least I'd arm myself just in case. I know it's gonna sound silly but that was the turning point for me, the point where I thought that it wasn't "realistic", where I realised I was just playing a game, which completely pulled me out of the experience. It was the point where Amnesia stopped being scary for me.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#116  Edited By Y2Ken

@damnable_fiend: I hate being in water. A lot. Oh god what's down there.

Fantastic article Patrick, thanks again for this.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#117  Edited By fox01313

@sixpin:

Agreed about the mythos on the Blair Witch movie being quite rustic & interesting even if the first film has it's polarizing views to it (either really liking it or not). Probably why I liked the sequel better, took the mythology of the Blair Witch & made a normal film about it which turns out a lot better.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Fantastic write-up Trick, thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I agree with you about the roller coaster ride comparison, it's the reason I boot up Slender once a day to try and get those 8 pages KNOWING that I'm gonna fail and get scared shitless in the process... but I still choose to do it.

You played anymore Slender, Patrick? They recently put out a new update, adding fog and other stuff.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By avantegardener

Good read, as someone who is a perennial scaredy cat with the horror as genre as a whole, I am fascinated with some peoples ability to shrug it off or 'enjoy' the experience of being scared. Mind you, I'm still always interested in the genre, but I usually pursue it through a safe medium like reading. I own Amnesia, it is never getting played :)

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#120  Edited By CJduke

Great article Patrick! Me and a friend just started playing Amnesia and I'm pretty sure I said "this isn't fun" like 3 times, but continued to play. I think the reason i continue to play even though I'm scared shitless is because its an awesome sense of accomplishment to beat a game so scary.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#121  Edited By buzz_clik

I'm not saying they're wrong for feeling the way they do, but I don't understand people who are horror movie devotees that still get scared by the genre. And I don't mean that in a jaded, "I'm too cool to be scared" kinda way; I'm just always too busy looking at the process behind making the scares to fully invest myself in what's happening.

But that's not to say I don't get creeped out or even (jump) scared by games - in fact, while movies never do it for me anymore, games totally can. But I never have that crippling sense that I'm fucked that the true "horror" feeling of my childhood is supposed to evoke. Even while playing something like Dead Space and having that tense sense of dread I know in the back of my mind that I'm having my chain jerked, and that just makes me more chuffed than afraid.

But Patrick's self-analysis on his relationship with fear, and how it dovetails into his sadness over his father, is a really interesting insight. I always like reading Patrick's stuff, but this was a really poignant and mature moment that really got me.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By DukesT3

The ending of Blair Witch still gives me goosebumps... fuuuuuuuck.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By cthomer5000

Great article. I'm a definite wuss with horror games, even Dead Space (which i was playing with headphones on, in the dark) eventually creeped me out enough that i quit it halfway through.

It really is the fact that you, the player, have to propel the action.

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By thebigJ_A

Five hours? I put in at least twice that, easy. Did he miss an area or two?

aragorn546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By aragorn546

I hate all of you who "remember this when i was 14"

I was just starting college when that movie came out. Damn i am so fucking old.

NuDimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#126  Edited By NuDimon

@aragorn546 said:

I hate all of you who "remember this when i was 14"

I was just starting college when that movie came out. Damn i am so fucking old.

I rember when I was 14 and watched 12 Monkeys at the movies. That was pretty awesome!

Oh and Blair Witch Project is one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FunExplosions

Amnesia isn't scary. It bored me to death and frustrated me with unclear "pixel-hunt-esque" puzzles. I got to the part where you fix the elevator, go down, then I explored that area and couldn't find out what to do where you see a "too-small" hole in the ground. Wasn't worth my time.

aragorn546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By aragorn546

@NuDimon: lol no shit, i was 14 for 12 monkeys and remember going to see it in theaters with my dad. What a great and formative movie for me during those years

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By xbob42

That Blair Witch video STILL gets me all tense. I think it has instilled a permanent fear within me. You were a little older than me when you saw it, Patrick, by about 2 years. As a film you know is fake, it's not very scary at all... but as something a 12-year old thinks (Well, in my case hoped) was real, it was fucking terrifying.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By falling_fast

@gaminghooligan said:

@Christoffer said:

The reason I'm scared playing Amnesia is the thought of not feeling anything. I have a terrible habit of debunking a game into numbers, triggers, vision cones and other exploitable coding flaws, in my head. The last game that made me feel tense was a haunted house moment in Vampire: the Masquerade.

But yeah, I'm well aware I'm acting tough now and that I should shut up until I play Amnesia.

the bedroom on the second floor. scariest shit at the time

the ghost dropped an elevator on me :/

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mrburger

Good words.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By GozerTC

OKay you guys think you feel old when Patrick was 14 at Blair Witch? Try being the Movie Theater Manager to all you young Patricks watching the bloody thing! :p

Seriously though the movie never did a thing to me because I saw it all cut up everywhere. (I.e walking in to check on the theater every 15 minutes or so.)

That said I can't play scary games. Hell I barely get around AvP because of the jump scares. (Even when I'm the alien!) There's something about "controlling" what's going on that does it to me I know.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By sixpin

@fox01313: I never saw the second one. I might check it out if I get the chance. Sounds interesting.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#134  Edited By c_rakestraw

I got a hold of Amnesia in the last Humble Bundle and so I feel like I have to play it now. Really not looking forward to it because I just know I'm going to lose days worth of sleep.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm with you Patrick, Blair Witch Project ruined me for a month at least.

Razputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Razputin

Great write-up, Patrick. Worth the wait!

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By dropabombonit

Great article. I played Silent Hill 2 when I was 11 and that scared the shit out of me. I played it again recently and even a decade later, the atmosphere still gets to me. Can't play any SH game for more than 2 hours. Although I can listen to the music outside of the game and appreciate the craft

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#138  Edited By SpawnMan

My mum told me the Blair Witch Project was actually real and after I watched it (I might've been about 14?) I couldn't sleep for two weeks. Scariest film I watched as a kid. : {

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By fox01313

@sixpin: Bought the boxed dvd set a while back & glad that it had this sequel as well as all the Blair Witch PC games (which weren't all that great when they came out but haven't played them much since so might have to take another look at them.

trailer for sequel:

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Wesker411

Well this article got me itchin to play the game and I've had it sitting in my Steam library for awhile. So I began my descent last night. So far so good(?), the game definitely creates a lot of tension. Made into the wine cellar and encountered the shadow for the first time. If that were an rl situation I would shit my pants, literally. It's bad enough in a game, lol.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By sixpin

@fox01313: Haha, that's Jeffery Donovan from Burn Notice as the male lead. Now I have to see this. That dude is great at playing a smug jerk, plus I love seeing actors in early roles.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By benjo_t

Awesome article, it really communicates the "pull" of these types of game. Also, my condolences, Patrick.

batmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By batmat

A great piece of writing. I can really relate to the first half of your article.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#144  Edited By thepantheon

Scoops, sorry to hear about your loss. And a great article man. You have friends in us here.

Astiaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Astiaks

@fox01313 said:

...the Blair Witch PC games (which weren't all that great when they came out but haven't played them much since so might have to take another look at them.

Do so by all means. They're great games!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#146  Edited By natetodamax

Great article, Patrick. I think I'm slowly becoming a horror fan myself. I recently watched all three Paranormal Activity movies and really enjoyed them (well, the third wasn't that great). Before that, I had avoided pretty much everything that had anything to do with horror. It just wasn't something that I was in to. Playing Condemned: Criminal Origins and both Dead Space games has really gotten me interested in the genre.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By dungbootle

Good article, Patrick.

Catlicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Catlicker

Sad to hear about your father, Patrick.

KO4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By KO4U

Real men can't wait to crap their pants! Just finished Silent Hill 2 the other night (really, for the first time) and freak'n loved the dead stank of those corridors. Where's the scary at?

vech24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By vech24

I'm 31 so I was in college when Blair Witch came out. For me, it was the opposite of scary. You'll find a lot of things that entertained/scared you in your youth don't hold up well. Aside from masturbation and video games of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.