Like the main Elder Scrolls games, Battlespire is a first-person role-playing game. The player character is a Battlemage apprentice, awaiting their final test in the Battlespire, a magic academy situated in a void between Oblivion and the mortal world.
Battlespire takes place in the time of the first Elder Scrolls game, Arena. Instead of Tamriel, the entire game takes place in the Battlespire. Even though it uses the same engine as Daggerfall, the gameplay differs greatly:
- there are no merchants or currency, leaving the player to find items and resources
- there is no rest feature to allow health regeneration
- enemies do not respawn when killed
- the world is not open, but split into 7 large levels
This makes the game more difficult as every resource becomes highly valuable.
Originally the game was planned as an expansion for Daggerfall, but in the end it was released as a stand-alone game. Battlespire features an improved rendering engine, higher resolution, and much more detailed 3D environment.
PC System Requirements
- CPU: Pentium 133MHz Processor
- Graphics: SVGA, VESA 2 Compliant Video Card
- Memory : 16MB RAM
- Handdisk: 150MB Hard Disk Space
- Sound: Sound Blaster compatible Sound Card
- Other : 4X CD-ROM Drive, Mouse