Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Anarchy Reigns

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 05, 2012

In a distant, chaotic future, cyborgs beat the crap out of each other in this multiplayer-heavy 3D beat 'em up from the developers of MadWorld and Bayonetta.

Going Overboard: Anarchy Reigns

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Hey guys, I think Anarchy Reigns is pretty good.

I realize my last few blog posts have been nothing but information or talk about this game after I imported it, so I think I'll make this my last entry on the subject and sum up as many thoughts as I can. I will admit up front that my opinion may be colored by my feelings for the developer. Platinum Games (formerly Clover Studios) has always struck me as a group that never caught a break despite all the great work they do in terms of style, characters, and creative weirdness. They ship complete games that aren't loaded down with excessive DLC that leave people feeling burned or cheated. If you're looking for something new or different, they're not a bad place to start.

And yet their latest game has been delayed by SEGA to 2013 just in time to be snowed under all the heavy releases in that window even though it's fully localized and ready to go. I'm not privy to the business side of things that made that decision happen, but Platinum's run of luck sure hasn't gotten any better.

So on that note, I wanted to express how much I enjoy this game. If it ever does get released outside Japan, I'd gladly buy it again.

Anarchy Reigns (or Max Anarchy)

Airstrikes Rain like Actual Rain

For a game that has "Anarchy" in the title (Japanese or English) it sure does a pretty good job coming close to the sentiment. This is especially true in multiplayer where numerous randomized events and roaming enemies make sure player on player combat is anything but routine. I played one game where four teams of two players battled it out in the street while a giant killer robot (appropriately named Cthulhu) appeared and took shots at us with a huge death ray. Then an airstrike came along and littered the area with bombs at the same time. Between the robot, the airstrike, and the eight players it was delightfully hectic and ridiculous. I got blown up in the process, but the kind of shit that happens in a normal game more than makes up for the average stress of winning or losing. Taking part in it is almost a reward all on its own.

One time I fought a guy until he got hit by a semi-truck Uncharted 3 style. On the top of a skyscraper. It was hilarious.

Anarchy Reigns is a brawler more in line with Smash Bros. than Street Fighter. It's not strictly about fighting fair. Combat deals with a light attack, a heavy attack, a throw, jumping (usually for launchers and juggling along with stage navigation) and each character's killer weapon special ability. Combos are pretty simplistic via button combinations. People who have played MadWorld on the Wii might find the set up familiar as Anarchy Reigns is a spiritual sequel with many of the same characters from that game. The killer weapon (arguably the spice of this game) lets player deal out some heavy damage with some awesome looking weapons and great looking character effects. You can't use it all the time as it's dictated by a meter that refills through damage dealt out and received. Obviously you want to work it in at the right time at the end of combos to ruin people's day. Not to mention the various items sitting around each stage like tires and street signs you can use to incapacitate targets. That's not even including the sniper rifles, satellite targeting, and firebombs you can equip and use. Death can get pretty creative in this game.

There's also something called rampage mode that you build up after taking and dishing out damage that makes you invincible and lets you tear into enemies like something out of God Hand. I imagine this might make or break some people on the experience as the only way to counter this mode is to run and hide, carefully time rolls to avoid getting caught the animation, or with your own rampage mode. I've never been able to escape or avoid it online and against bots, but some people have gotten good at dodging it. Two players who clash in rampage mode have to mash face buttons randomly decided by a prompt. The winner tears through the loser (almost always killing them in the process) and is allowed to continue wrecking shit up. To me it mostly seems like a form of rubberbanding, as you can make quite a comeback if you use it right. It doesn't last too long so it doesn't strike me as a game breaker. It is insanely useful in survival mode though.

The Story (Like the Wild West with Mutants and Cyborgs)

If you're interested in the setting and story, the campaign mode will make a decent introduction. The world of Anarchy Reigns is pretty messed up. War has littered the globe with chemical and biological weapons, pollution, and rampaging mutants. Cybernetics and nano-machines are popular ways to stay alive without turning into twisted creatures. Countries don't seem to matter that much anymore as civilization has been reduced to somewhat clean future cities where "normal" life happens and the mutated wasteland outside where guys like Edgar Oinkie and Durga prey on everyone they come across. Think of it like the Wild West with mutants where main characters Jack Cayman (pro bounty hunter and chainsaw enthusiast) and Leo (future cop with limb mounted laser blades) hunt a wanted man through the unforgiving frontier for different reasons. Also questioning the definition of justice in a world just a few shades away from the apocalypse.

Overall the story mode is pretty enjoyable. You'll play as both Jack and Leo through four stages taking on various missions where you meet, greet, and fight your way from start to finish. I don't want to say it's open world, but for the most part you'll be let loose in a large area where you find beacons to take on the different missions. It runs hot and cold. Main missions have most of the narrative meat where you run into the multiplayer cast and beat them up. But there are also free missions that have no bearing on the plot which range from funny, to frustrating, to dull depending on the objective. They're somewhat mandatory as your point score unlocks the story missions as you go. You could just hang out and fight the roaming enemies in the hub, but that will take awhile if you're that stubborn. On medium it's pretty enjoyable and will test you in some cases. But on Hard, the game will routinely crush you, even going as far as stooping low enough to use a seemingly infinite combo to see if you remembered how to break free of something like that.

Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon...

For the most part, the voice acting is fine. You'll get a solid performance from Steve Blum as Jack. The other characters are nice as well with the exception of Edgar Oinkie (by Yuri Lowenthal) who is either the worst character in this game or the greatest character in this game. My personal favorite is Robert Pine who does a memorable job voicing Maximilian Caxton. I'll say they're certainly well designed characters. Whether they're good characters is probably up for debate. Anyone with an animal motif leans a little too hard into associated puns, especially Oinkie who chants 'bacon' over and over as he runs within the game. Expect Big Bull to mention his horns more than a few times and Durga to play up his tiger "in it for the hunt" routine. It certainly carries over into multiplayer.

The Black Baron is there too (voiced by Arif Kinchen) still caught somewhere between offensive characture, comic relief, and oddly endearing despite all that. I almost want to say he's toned down the pimp talk considerably from MadWorld. You probably know where you stand on that. And as a last point, things are tied up quite nicely with an ending I felt pretty good about. Which is refreshing. Not to say the story is full of plot twists but I was pleasantly surprised how it worked out.

The Main Event (Multiplayer)

As you could probably guess, a big reason why you would buy Anarchy Reigns is for the delightfully ridiculous multiplayer. And I have to say, they didn't skimp on the various modes. I have a tough time deciding where to start, but besides the standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch of varying sizes, they have modes where players get handed out class skills, special team up abilities, and other weird rules. They also have a free-for-all Battle Royale up to 16 players and a soccer-like game called Deathball, capture the flag and more. Most of it is detailed in the honest-to-God instruction booklet included with the game (full of pages with color and everything!). But since I can't read Japanese the finer points are lost on me. Most of my favorite multiplayer sessions include the Horde-like Survival Mode, the insanity of Battle Royale, and four player Deathmatch.

You can also do 1 vs. 1 cage matches but I would say that's not where this game's strength are. The chaos of other modes are far more entertaining.

No attachments for gun legs, though

It has a Call of Duty style persistence like you could probably guess, but this mostly unlocks emblems for identification and multiplayer characters if you didn't get them through the story mode. A few perks for select modes can be earned this way, such as increasing how fast you can run, your speed when carrying large objects like cars and signposts, and other things. I haven't seen anything that breaks the game, most of it is a matter of play style or leaning heavily on something you're good at. Since it's a primarily point based game and kills aren't the be-all-end-all, some perks increase bonuses from winning duels and other factors. And you can only equip one at a time.

Since I imported it, most of my games have been spanning the Pacific with players from Japan. But despite the difference with lag, I've still had a lot of fun. Finding games have been a little difficult here and there, but it's never skipped or melted down to the point where a game suddenly crashed and ended. Once I've gotten in, it's held stable and I've had a blast. It's worth mentioning that multiplayer can be done with bots through the "Training Mode" in the menu if you have internet issues or reasons against playing with people. You can simulate any game from Survival to Deathball with the appropriate number of bots for each mode. They know how to use items and avoid the stage hazards, but they can be a little on the easy side and sometimes get caught up on geometry jumping at walls.

A Few of My Personal Favorites (Characters and Soundtrack)

Everyone Loves Rin Rin
    Everyone Loves Rin Rin

Two things I love most about Anarchy Reigns involve the cast of playable psychopaths and the soundtrack. The detail spent on the animations of characters activating and putting away their killer weapons I find damn impressive, not to mention their various animations involving throws and landing particularly hard hits. Durga, probably my favorite character overall, has an execution on the big green mutants where he jumps in their face, shoves his gun leg down their throat and pulls the trigger until his revolver cannon goes click. Almost every character has something to offer and they're all pretty fun to play. Most of the online games I've played have been dominated by Rin Rin, hersisters, and Bayonetta (pre-order bonus), but it's great that they have sixteen plus characters all crazy in their own way. While I might not be able to stand Oinkie's bacon jokes, I do appreciate his killer weapon as he hits really, really hard.

The second thing I love most about this game is the soundtrack, which continues the trend started by MadWorld to accompany fights to the death with rap and hip-hop. The nice thing is that profanity is few and far in between, as most artists use their words when it comes to exposition songs that talk about the state of the Anarchy Reigns world or detail a particular quirk about the cast, albeit in their own way. It probably won't change your opinion on the genre if you're decidedly against, but I find it adds something unique to the experience. The posturing and bragging associated with that kind of music works well considering how confident or brutal characters try to be within the game. The 32 songs with lyrics have some variety with them as some are fast paced and relentless like "Venom" by muzeOne, some much slower like "This is Madness" by Dilated Peoples, "Lights Out" by Ox, and some decidedly goofy like "They Came From Underground" by Rushden and Diamonds or "We All Soldiers" by Skitz the Samurida. Not to mention standouts like "Play My Ass Off" by Josh Clemons which has become the unofficial anthem for the game as far as I can tell.

Some of my personal favorites include "Soon Enough" by Sick YG, "Jaw" by muzeOne, and "Find You" by Doujah Raze. If you have the time, I would recommend heading on over to YouTube to give a listen. At the moment I'd have to say it's the soundtrack of the year for me even if it technically wasn't released in North American or Europe yet.

Ending the Anarchy

As for the question of importing, I think that depends on what you're willing to spend for one game, and if you really enjoy Platinum Games' style. I've heard talk that Anarchy Reigns might get a North American and Europe release sometime in March 2013. If you can wait that long (assuming it doesn't get delayed yet again or canceled) I think it's worth checking out. Platinum is pretty good at ridiculous spectacle and Anarchy Reigns certainly delivers.

"Done? This motherfucker's not even medium rare!"
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

Hey guys, I think Anarchy Reigns is pretty good.

I realize my last few blog posts have been nothing but information or talk about this game after I imported it, so I think I'll make this my last entry on the subject and sum up as many thoughts as I can. I will admit up front that my opinion may be colored by my feelings for the developer. Platinum Games (formerly Clover Studios) has always struck me as a group that never caught a break despite all the great work they do in terms of style, characters, and creative weirdness. They ship complete games that aren't loaded down with excessive DLC that leave people feeling burned or cheated. If you're looking for something new or different, they're not a bad place to start.

And yet their latest game has been delayed by SEGA to 2013 just in time to be snowed under all the heavy releases in that window even though it's fully localized and ready to go. I'm not privy to the business side of things that made that decision happen, but Platinum's run of luck sure hasn't gotten any better.

So on that note, I wanted to express how much I enjoy this game. If it ever does get released outside Japan, I'd gladly buy it again.

Anarchy Reigns (or Max Anarchy)

For a game that has "Anarchy" in the title (Japanese or English) it sure does a pretty good job coming close to the sentiment. This is especially true in multiplayer where numerous randomized events and roaming enemies make sure player on player combat is anything but routine. I played one game where four teams of two players battled it out in the street while a giant killer robot (appropriately named Cthulhu) appeared and took shots at us with a huge death ray. Then an airstrike came along and littered the area with bombs at the same time. Between the robot, the airstrike, and the eight players it was delightfully hectic and ridiculous. I got blown up in the process, but the kind of shit that happens in a normal game more than makes up for the average stress of winning or losing. Taking part in it is almost a reward all on its own.

One time I fought a guy until he got hit by a semi-truck Uncharted 3 style. On the top of a skyscraper. It was hilarious.

Anarchy Reigns is a brawler more in line with Smash Bros. than Street Fighter. It's not strictly about fighting fair. Combat deals with a light attack, a heavy attack, a throw, jumping (usually for launchers and juggling along with stage navigation) and each character's killer weapon special ability. Combos are pretty simplistic via button combinations. People who have played MadWorld on the Wii might find the set up familiar as Anarchy Reigns is a spiritual sequel with many of the same characters from that game. The killer weapon (arguably the spice of this game) lets player deal out some heavy damage with some awesome looking weapons and great looking character effects. You can't use it all the time as it's dictated by a meter that refills through damage dealt out and received. Obviously you want to work it in at the right time at the end of combos to ruin people's day. Not to mention the various items sitting around each stage like tires and street signs you can use to incapacitate targets. That's not even including the sniper rifles, satellite targeting, and firebombs you can equip and use. Death can get pretty creative in this game.

There's also something called rampage mode that you build up after taking and dishing out damage that makes you invincible and lets you tear into enemies like something out of God Hand. I imagine this might make or break some people on the experience as the only way to counter this mode is to run and hide, carefully time rolls to avoid getting caught the animation, or with your own rampage mode. I've never been able to escape or avoid it online and against bots, but some people have gotten good at dodging it. Two players who clash in rampage mode have to mash face buttons randomly decided by a prompt. The winner tears through the loser (almost always killing them in the process) and is allowed to continue wrecking shit up. To me it mostly seems like a form of rubberbanding, as you can make quite a comeback if you use it right. It doesn't last too long so it doesn't strike me as a game breaker. It is insanely useful in survival mode though.

The Story (Like the Wild West with Mutants and Cyborgs)

If you're interested in the setting and story, the campaign mode will make a decent introduction. The world of Anarchy Reigns is pretty messed up. War has littered the globe with chemical and biological weapons, pollution, and rampaging mutants. Cybernetics and nano-machines are popular ways to stay alive without turning into twisted creatures. Countries don't seem to matter that much anymore as civilization has been reduced to somewhat clean future cities where "normal" life happens and the mutated wasteland outside where guys like Edgar Oinkie and Durga prey on everyone they come across. Think of it like the Wild West with mutants where main characters Jack Cayman (pro bounty hunter and chainsaw enthusiast) and Leo (future cop with limb mounted laser blades) hunt a wanted man through the unforgiving frontier for different reasons. Also questioning the definition of justice in a world just a few shades away from the apocalypse.

Overall the story mode is pretty enjoyable. You'll play as both Jack and Leo through four stages taking on various missions where you meet, greet, and fight your way from start to finish. I don't want to say it's open world, but for the most part you'll be let loose in a large area where you find beacons to take on the different missions. It runs hot and cold. Main missions have most of the narrative meat where you run into the multiplayer cast and beat them up. But there are also free missions that have no bearing on the plot which range from funny, to frustrating, to dull depending on the objective. They're somewhat mandatory as your point score unlocks the story missions as you go. You could just hang out and fight the roaming enemies in the hub, but that will take awhile if you're that stubborn. On medium it's pretty enjoyable and will test you in some cases. But on Hard, the game will routinely crush you, even going as far as stooping low enough to use a seemingly infinite combo to see if you remembered how to break free of something like that.

For the most part, the voice acting is fine. You'll get a solid performance from Steve Blum as Jack. The other characters are nice as well with the exception of Edgar Oinkie (by Yuri Lowenthal) who is either the worst character in this game or the greatest character in this game. My personal favorite is Robert Pine who does a memorable job voicing Maximilian Caxton. I'll say they're certainly well designed characters. Whether they're good characters is probably up for debate. Anyone with an animal motif leans a little too hard into associated puns, especially Oinkie who chants 'bacon' over and over as he runs within the game. Expect Big Bull to mention his horns more than a few times and Durga to play up his tiger "in it for the hunt" routine. It certainly carries over into multiplayer.

The Black Baron is there too (voiced by Arif Kinchen) still caught somewhere between offensive characture, comic relief, and oddly endearing despite all that. I almost want to say he's toned down the pimp talk considerably from MadWorld. You probably know where you stand on that. And as a last point, things are tied up quite nicely with an ending I felt pretty good about. Which is refreshing. Not to say the story is full of plot twists but I was pleasantly surprised how it worked out.

The Main Event (Multiplayer)

As you could probably guess, a big reason why you would buy Anarchy Reigns is for the delightfully ridiculous multiplayer. And I have to say, they didn't skimp on the various modes. I have a tough time deciding where to start, but besides the standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch of varying sizes, they have modes where players get handed out class skills, special team up abilities, and other weird rules. They also have a free-for-all Battle Royale up to 16 players and a soccer-like game called Deathball, capture the flag and more. Most of it is detailed in the honest-to-God instruction booklet included with the game (full of pages with color and everything!). But since I can't read Japanese the finer points are lost on me. Most of my favorite multiplayer sessions include the Horde-like Survival Mode, the insanity of Battle Royale, and four player Deathmatch.

You can also do 1 vs. 1 cage matches but I would say that's not where this game's strength are. The chaos of other modes are far more entertaining.

It has a Call of Duty style persistence like you could probably guess, but this mostly unlocks emblems for identification and multiplayer characters if you didn't get them through the story mode. A few perks for select modes can be earned this way, such as increasing how fast you can run, your speed when carrying large objects like cars and signposts, and other things. I haven't seen anything that breaks the game, most of it is a matter of play style or leaning heavily on something you're good at. Since it's a primarily point based game and kills aren't the be-all-end-all, some perks increase bonuses from winning duels and other factors. And you can only equip one at a time.

Since I imported it, most of my games have been spanning the Pacific with players from Japan. But despite the difference with lag, I've still had a lot of fun. Finding games have been a little difficult here and there, but it's never skipped or melted down to the point where a game suddenly crashed and ended. Once I've gotten in, it's held stable and I've had a blast. It's worth mentioning that multiplayer can be done with bots through the "Training Mode" in the menu if you have internet issues or reasons against playing with people. You can simulate any game from Survival to Deathball with the appropriate number of bots for each mode. They know how to use items and avoid the stage hazards, but they can be a little on the easy side and sometimes get caught up on geometry jumping at walls.

A Few of My Personal Favorites (Characters and Soundtrack)

Everyone Loves Rin Rin
    Everyone Loves Rin Rin

Two things I love most about Anarchy Reigns involve the cast of playable psychopaths and the soundtrack. The detail spent on the animations of characters activating and putting away their killer weapons I find damn impressive, not to mention their various animations involving throws and landing particularly hard hits. Durga, probably my favorite character overall, has an execution on the big green mutants where he jumps in their face, shoves his gun leg down their throat and pulls the trigger until his revolver cannon goes click. Almost every character has something to offer and they're all pretty fun to play. Most of the online games I've played have been dominated by Rin Rin, hersisters, and Bayonetta (pre-order bonus), but it's great that they have sixteen plus characters all crazy in their own way. While I might not be able to stand Oinkie's bacon jokes, I do appreciate his killer weapon as he hits really, really hard.

The second thing I love most about this game is the soundtrack, which continues the trend started by MadWorld to accompany fights to the death with rap and hip-hop. The nice thing is that profanity is few and far in between, as most artists use their words when it comes to exposition songs that talk about the state of the Anarchy Reigns world or detail a particular quirk about the cast, albeit in their own way. It probably won't change your opinion on the genre if you're decidedly against, but I find it adds something unique to the experience. The posturing and bragging associated with that kind of music works well considering how confident or brutal characters try to be within the game. The 32 songs with lyrics have some variety with them as some are fast paced and relentless like "Venom" by muzeOne, some much slower like "This is Madness" by Dilated Peoples, "Lights Out" by Ox, and some decidedly goofy like "They Came From Underground" by Rushden and Diamonds or "We All Soldiers" by Skitz the Samurida. Not to mention standouts like "Play My Ass Off" by Josh Clemons which has become the unofficial anthem for the game as far as I can tell.

Some of my personal favorites include "Soon Enough" by Sick YG, "Jaw" by muzeOne, and "Find You" by Doujah Raze. If you have the time, I would recommend heading on over to YouTube to give a listen. At the moment I'd have to say it's the soundtrack of the year for me even if it technically wasn't released in North American or Europe yet.

Ending the Anarchy

As for the question of importing, I think that depends on what you're willing to spend for one game, and if you really enjoy Platinum Games' style. I've heard talk that Anarchy Reigns might get a North American and Europe release sometime in March 2013. If you can wait that long (assuming it doesn't get delayed yet again or canceled) I think it's worth checking out. Platinum is pretty good at ridiculous spectacle and Anarchy Reigns certainly delivers.

"Done? This motherfucker's not even medium rare!"
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Nice write up! I'm looking forward to this game! Hopefully they add Bayonetta to the NA version. Last I heard she was a JP exclusive.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sarumarine

@Demoskinos said:

Nice write up! I'm looking forward to this game! Hopefully they add Bayonetta to the NA version. Last I heard she was a JP exclusive.

Thanks! I didn't know about that. I thought I saw somewhere Bayonetta might be paid DLC outside Japan, but I can't reference that anywhere. Hopefully she's a pre-order or first run bonus in North America and Europe. Like the rest of the cast, she's pretty fun to play. It would be kind of a shame if she was exclusive in that way.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jewunit

I concur with Demo. You put together a pretty thorough assessment of the game. I am still waiting on my copy of the game. It's moving at regular speed for standard shipping, but listening to all this feedback from the game makes the waiting tougher.

Did you get a code for the extra modes from Platinum's website? I believe the two modes are Mad Survival and some kind of helicopter battle. If so, what did you think of them?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sarumarine

@jewunit said:

I concur with Demo. You put together a pretty thorough assessment of the game. I am still waiting on my copy of the game. It's moving at regular speed for standard shipping, but listening to all this feedback from the game makes the waiting tougher.

Did you get a code for the extra modes from Platinum's website? I believe the two modes are Mad Survival and some kind of helicopter battle. If so, what did you think of them?

Yeah, you can get two modes from the Asylum Bar Game on the official site (which I believe they call "Extra Rules") and I think they're both pretty good. The helicopter battle is probably the more novel of the two as every character starts on a hijacked helicopter and try to kill each other with missiles and nose guns. This game only takes place on one stage above a flooded city, so if your helicopter gets shot down you die. The rampage mode with the helicopters are pretty funny, especially when two players start a power struggle.

Mad Survival is probably my favorite though because it has some pretty cool references to Bayonetta and MadWorld with songs from both of those games that play at special moments. It's basically Survival Mode except you fight the cast from Anarchy Reigns instead of regular enemies. For example, they have one round called "Good Looking Guys" where you fight Durga, Leo and Zero. Another is "Notorious Bounty Hunters" where you fight Baron, Durga, and Jack. But sometimes they have themed rounds like "Absolute Zero" where you fight Sasha and Fei Rin accompanied by enemies with liquid nitrogen canisters that can freeze you.

The final rounds in Mad Survival are the craziest part that I won't spoil (unless you really want the details) that ante up the crazy and make for some pretty tough (and awesome) battles. Especially the Mad Survival games that take place in the Colosseum stage and the train tunnel. I haven't managed to beat those with other players yet.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MikeGosot

...I still don't know if i should import it! I won't play online, so hearing that the bots lean on the easy side kind of kills it. Can you change their difficulty? Also, there's no split screen right?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sarumarine

@MikeGosot said:

...I still don't know if i should import it! I won't play online, so hearing that the bots lean on the easy side kind of kills it. Can you change their difficulty? Also, there's no split screen right?

Yeah, no split screen.

I haven't seen options for difficulty in the training mode, but that would be cool if they patched that in sometime seeing how difficult hard mode can get. The bots can be savage in the right circumstances (like huge close quarter melees). They seem to do the best at the various team modes where I actually lost by quite a lot since most of the modes go by score and not total number of kills. The 16 player Battle Royale is still pretty amazing even with bots, but I don't know if I could recommend importing Max Anarchy on that alone, especially considering how much you'd have to pay for it.

If you really have no interest for the online part, it would probably be safer to wait till next year when it won't cost you around 100+ to get it from Japan.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Great read on Anarchy Reigns, alot of answers answered in the post for me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeGosot

Wow, i posted in here before i imported it. I'm only starting the game now, by the way, the campaign is alright, i hate the "Bar to unlock new stuff", but the game is pretty good.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sarumarine

@MikeGosot said:

Wow, i posted in here before i imported it. I'm only starting the game now, by the way, the campaign is alright, i hate the "Bar to unlock new stuff", but the game is pretty good.

Yeah, the points-till-next-mission thing feels the most out of place since that was the way MadWorld operated. Only in MadWorld they had a narrative excuse for it.

@I_Stay_Puft: Good to hear. I try to hit the highlights... because there is a lot of stuff in this game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sarumarine: In Madworld, it felt better too, because i didn't need to replay some missions for the next level, and that's what i have to do in Anarchy Reigns. I haven't touched the simulation mode yet. I want to unlock every character. So far, i played as Jack, Big Bull, Black Baron and Mathilda. Mathilda fucking rules.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sarumarine

@MikeGosot: Never got use to Mathilda. She hits really hard, but I have a lot of trouble landing her moves. Especially her heavy Killer Weapon attack. But when you do hit someone with it, it does a ton of damage.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sarumarine said:

@MikeGosot: Never got use to Mathilda. She hits really hard, but I have a lot of trouble landing her moves. Especially her heavy Killer Weapon attack. But when you do hit someone with it, it does a ton of damage.

I like her because she's quick enough when up close and when you got time, that bitch is going to bring the pain! Also, SHE TALKS, what the fuck. I also think Jack is pretty alright, but his design is kinda boring compared with the rest. Funniest characters that i didn't like very much are Big Bull and Black Baron.

EDIT: That i didn't like to use. Big Bull is too slow and it's hard to hit with the BLACK BARON(Please stop starin').
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sarumarine

@MikeGosot: Yeah, that was a weird moment when she opened her mouth. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. She probably has all of two lines throughout the entire game. I think I would prefer if she just giggled and laughed.

I also have the same stance on Jack. He's perfectly fine, but compared to the rest of the characters I find it hard to use him considering how crazy everyone else is. Plus he has story mode and a whole game with MadWorld. I don't want to say I'm tired of him, but I really want to make use out of everyone else.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sarumarine said:

@MikeGosot: Yeah, that was a weird moment when she opened her mouth. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. She probably has all of two lines throughout the entire game. I think I would prefer if she just giggled and laughed.

I also have the same stance on Jack. He's perfectly fine, but compared to the rest of the characters I find it hard to use him considering how crazy everyone else is. Plus he has story mode and a whole game with MadWorld. I don't want to say I'm tired of him, but I really want to make use out of everyone else.

It's weird, because all the returning characters from MadWorld got a new make up, except him. I think it also has to do with his colors: Black and White. It worked on MadWorld, but here, where everything is so colorful, it really feels bland. Also, the story is super funny because of how serious it is, they explain things that don't even need explanation, like the Super Sexy Fists of Fire. Dude. It's a weapon called SUPER SEXY FISTS OF FIRE, why explain it at all? Also, Jack's daughter is so normal, it's kinda weird.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sarumarine

@MikeGosot: Yeah! The story has that Platinum Games spin (like Bayonetta and more) where the characters take everything really seriously... but there's a guy with a gun in his leg with a tiger motif running around, and giant death robots are dropping from the sky, and you have whole squadrons of planes going around bombing everything like its going out of style. And if you took a hard look at anything, it doesn't make much sense- it's straight video game. But I've come to enjoy the dichotomy when it comes to their narratives.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sarumarine said:

@MikeGosot: Yeah! The story has that Platinum Games spin (like Bayonetta and more) where the characters take everything really seriously... but there's a guy with a gun in his leg with a tiger motif running around, and giant death robots are dropping from the sky, and you have whole squadrons of planes going around bombing everything like its going out of style. And if you took a hard look at anything, it doesn't make much sense- it's straight video game. But I've come to enjoy the dichotomy when it comes to their narratives.

Yeah, it really has a charm to it, something about the weird art style just rubs me the right way. It kinda reminds me of The Warriors. The movie has thematic gangs, with their own colors and uniforms, but the scenario is the complete opposite.

EDIT: Also, Nipple Spikes on Mathilda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.