Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Android

Platform »

Google's mobile OS, available across multiple devices.

The Android game recommendations list

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

So my brother has an Android phone and I'd like to play great games on it. The damn-this-shit-is-so-great-it-almost-should-be-on-a-console kind of great!

Edit: This topic turned from a simple request into a mega linked game list!

My recommendations - sorted by greatness:

(Free games are underlined)

Updated post with duder recommendations below:

No Caption Provided

For descriptions look at the posts below!

FREE:

PAID: (sorted by size)

lotrsam0711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By lotrsam0711

Rebuild is the one I've sunk the most hours into. It's a base management zombie survival game. I know, I know, another zombie game! But it's one of the best in recent years and a great one of those "just one more turn" games.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starbounder.

Not only one of my favourite Android games, but probably one of my favourite games full stop.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solitaire by Ken Magic

Brings me back to pre-Windows Vista/7 Solitaire simplicity.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By lumley

Kairosoft games such as Ninja Village and The Pyraplex

Super Stickman Golf 2

The Room (Only available via the new Humble Bundle I think)

7x7

Sword and Sworcery

Super Hexagon

Contre Jour

I need some new games so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The Bards Tale (which is a port of the PS2 game, but whatever, it's great. Also includes the original PC Bard's Tale games from the 80s/90s)

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Angry Birds Star Wars is a really fun game. I played it on iPad but it's probably the same thing on Android.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

WarMongers (single best game app I've played, only available through the Amazon App store I believe)

Beat Hazard Ultra (this might actually be an xbox live indie game as well I think)

RPG Alphadia (done by a group that has made many NES style, pretty genric RPGs, this one has English and is decent)

GameDev Story

Samurai 2: Vengence

AirAttack HD

Last, yes I know, tower defense games, but I find the genre to be pretty fun and these for me were by far the best.

Myth Defense LF

Radiant Defense (really hard though and "free", but basically without at least a few booster packs way too hard to recommend)

Sentinel 3: Homeworld

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Plague Inc

You are a deadly plague and need to wipe humanity off the face of the earth. There are scrolling news headlines that are pretty hilarious and the game is well made, fair amount of tactics involved with getting your bacteria/virus/fugus/bio-weapon/nano-virus etc. worldwide, keeping undetected for as long as possible and working your magic before humanity finds a cure.

Loading Video...

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a game called God of blades the other day and it kicks ass, it's very simple mechanics but it controls so well and it's very satisfying being timing based, the music and art-style are great and pretty unique too, everyone should check it out(huge battery drain on it though).

I also play a lot of:

- osmos HD

- eufloria

- dead trigger (surprisingly fun)

- super hexagon

- rebuild

- Nethack

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying Open Sea

Loading Video...

I need some new games so remember this: "I'll be watching you.........thread."

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By limpbishop

The Room < This!

Might still be part of the Humble Android Bundle.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By probablytuna

Game Dev Story and 10000000.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Room and Onlive

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horn - Bit like Infinity Blade with a slightly more open world
    Bladeslinger - Character action game with very slick one-hand touch controls
    Great Little War Game - Advanced Wars clone
    Great Big War Game - Sequel to above AW clone
    Trainyard Express - puzzle game. It's technically a demo of Trainyard, but it's a completely different set of puzzles, so there's some reward to playing through all of Express and then buying the full game if you like it.
    Where's My Water - puzzle game
    Where's My Perry - similar to WMW but with some fun new mechanics
    Fragger - Mechanically similar to angry birds, but with more emphasis on precise aiming
    League of Evil - Probably my favorite 2D platformer I've played on a touch screen
    Dungelot - Roguelike + Minesweeper. Very addictive
    Cut the Rope - puzzle game
    Cut the Rope Experiments - sequel with some new mechanics

Contrary to popular belief, there are a metric ton of great games on Android. Just depends on your tastes.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

Nun Attack is already on consoles, and android. But its free to play.

Also, screw what I just said, download NetHack.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are fantastic, I just bought the Humble Bundle for The Room, and also got Super Hexagon, Starbounder and Plague Inc. Fucking amazing games I think I'm gonna hijack my bro's phone :D

@kidable said:

Starbounder.

First of all, that game is really.. well, not hard, but it makes me angry, in a good way.. Motion games have been my least favorite but this one is a keeper!

And secondly, I got the biggest nostalgia punch in the face when the first level began and I found myself on a Guitar Hero-ish track, dodging floor gaps and collecting orbs.. Please tell me you know what that childhood game is that I remember nothing of :(

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beginning of Starbounder was very reminiscent of F-zero.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sooty

ChuChuRocket and Super Hexagon are all you need.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By csl316

Rayman Jungle Run. Good time, just a simpler, different version of Origins.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Loafsmooch

I recommend Pixel Dungeon. It's a roguelike in development, constantly updating, and it's free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon&hl=sv

Some people have compared it to Brogue. but with smooth animations and graphics.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OfficeGamer

Updated thread with the amazing recommendations

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Daveyo520

Sword and Sworcery is so good, if you have not played it you must. Amazing music and art style.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MegaLombax

Battleloot Adventure. It's probably the best turn based RPG I've personally played on the Android platform. Great visual style, requires occasional grinding, simple enough game mechanics to be a mobile game but enough to keep you invested. There's no real main storyline, just a collection of quests. Developers seem to try to inject humor in these small quests though (which are quite funny).

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By onarum

I recommend Pixel Dungeon. It's a roguelike in development, constantly updating, and it's free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon&hl=sv

Some people have compared it to Brogue. but with smooth animations and graphics.

Oh wow, thanks for recommending this, it's a fantastic roguelike, I love the animations, gonna give nethack a break :p

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By myke_tuna

Please continue this thread in perpetuity or as long as possible. This is the first list/article/anything that has some actually good Android games.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this tread is great, Never knew chu chu rocket was an option and pixeldungeon and dungelot are great games.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28 MattyFTM  Moderator

I've just recently got an Android phone myself, so all these recommendations are great.. The games I've bought that jump out are:

Letterpress - a fantastic little word game.

Slingshot Racing - a fun little racing game with a super simple mechanic.

Rayman: Jungle Run - it is just an endless runner, but it oozes with Rayman charm.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Chip Chain is a good puzzle game. It got some buzz on iOS when it released there. It's free with optional IAP to unlock more of the game quicker, but I think you can get everything just by playing.

Yesterday is a quality point & click adventure game that was released on PC last year. Vinny did a Quick Look. I only played 3 minutes to test out the Android version, but there's a $5 app and a free one (that I tried) which I assume is just the demo.

Loading Video...

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gerrid

Surprised no one has mentioned Waking Mars, very interesting little game, well worth playing.

Also heard good things about Knights of Pen & Paper.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By louiedog

3 games have been added to that Humble Mobile Bundle -- Another World, Raiden Legacy (which is 4 games), and Funky Smugglers. All three of those are pretty good and all 9 games for $5.53+ (the current average) isn't too shabby at all. If you already bought the bundle at any price the three new ones are already yours.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Thanks for updating the post. Will look at some of these tomorrow

Avatar image for theoreticalpunch
    theoreticalpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like what would have been my recommendations are already on the list, but I'm still glad I came—I'll be sure to check out some of these others that I haven't yet tried.

I am ashamed though that probably Canabalt HD is probably the Android game I've played the most, but that's probably because it's the easiest to pull up when you're standing and waiting in line for something, or to pass back and forth between friends.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap maintaining a thread list is hard work, but it's worth it :D Updated it just now.

@louiedog: Why would they add games like that? I already bought it, that's not cool.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I hope someone can answer this: I wo 't be buying my (first) Android device till this weekend, and it might not arrive before the 9th. I already have an existing Google account that I use for YouTube and er, not a lot else. Can I buy the Humble Android Bundle speculatively for my new device before it arrives?

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap maintaining a thread list is hard work, but it's worth it :D Updated it just now.

@louiedog: Why would they add games like that? I already bought it, that's not cool.

If you bought it earlier then you get the games added to your bundle automatically. The .apk links should be on the page they emailed you after purchase and also available to download from within their app.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope someone can answer this: I wo 't be buying my (first) Android device till this weekend, and it might not arrive before the 9th. I already have an existing Google account that I use for YouTube and er, not a lot else. Can I buy the Humble Android Bundle speculatively for my new device before it arrives?

As with other Bundle games, they are tied to your Humble Bundle account. I bought the Android Bundle for my Nexus 7 and the games don't appear to be tied to the Play store at all. You actually have to change some settings to allow the games to download and install without using the regular app store.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsmash said:

@chavtheworld said:

As with other Bundle games, they are tied to your Humble Bundle account. I bought the Android Bundle for my Nexus 7 and the games don't appear to be tied to the Play store at all. You actually have to change some settings to allow the games to download and install without using the regular app store.

Sorry I missed that question before my last comment. I must have glazed right over it. I can confirm that the above comment's response is accurate. You don't need an Android device. Also, if you're not sure how much you want to pay right now and aren't sure if you want the beat the average games you can pay whatever you want now and increase your order amount up to 30 days after the bundle ends, so as long as you put in some money now the 9th isn't your last chance.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

@loafsmooch said:

Oh wow, thanks for recommending this, it's a fantastic roguelike, I love the animations, gonna give nethack a break :p

Anything to spread the word of rogue brother! If you got any questions about the game mechanics you can pm me ;)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bouncy Ball

Free simple platforming game with hundreds of levels that range from very easy to tablet-smashing, piss-me-the-fuck-off. It's huge in Korea where judging from the konglish description it was likely developed:

Best killing time game!! This free game is similar to the BUMPY(old game). You must control the Bouncy Ball and eat the star. You will feel Thrill and puzzle! Are you Bounce! Bounce! Ready? Just Enjoy!! 

You can play it online too.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsmash said:

@chavtheworld said:

Awesome thanks, I'll grab it now.

@louiedog: The average is only like $5 something right? I'll just go over that, The Room is the game I'm most interested in and five dollaz isn't that much!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bollard

My Nexus 4 is here, time to get cracking on this list :D

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By psylah

I love to play Monopoly (paid app)

xwordfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossword Rush is a great free crossword puzzle app for Android.

Hinamotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank the heavens for this thread! I have an android and struggle to find some great games to play. For now I've downloaded nethack and pixel dungeon and they seem great.

Thanks duders!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've been playing a bunch of They Need To Be Fed 2 recently. It starts off extremely easy, but the dificulty takes a significant ramp up once you unlock the "Epic" mode, and it is a really fun platformer. Art style is simple yet attractive, and it's certainly worth the money.

Also, I've been somewhat addicted to Zookeeper Battle for a while. The core gameplay is just standard bejewled style match three. But you're going head to head against other people on the internet, earning attack and defense points which you use to deplete your opponent's health bar. It's an interesting twist.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently playing a decent action-rpg titled Queen's Crown 2.

It's free with the occasional pop-up advertisement that can be closed. Don't let that prevent you from trying out one of the better "free" games I've played on the Android. Also, don't bother with the original game, as I notice it's exclusive to iTunes. Both seem to get great reviews.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OfficeGamer

@uniform: @mattyftm:

@psylah said:

I love to play Monopoly (paid app)

@xwordfan said:

Crossword Rush is a great free crossword puzzle app for Android.

Thanks, just updated the original post

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.