Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 20, 2020

Transform a deserted island into a paradise in the Switch's version of Animal Crossing.

Never played an Animal Crossing before...what can I expect?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Let me preface this by saying the last time I was really into a Nintendo console was my GameBoy Color. I recently bought a Switch last summer and it's been great to catch up with a lot of series that I haven't played in the last decade or two.

However, one series I've never really played or experienced was Animal Crossing. I've done some research on it, and it seems like a pretty chill and relaxing game, but I'm curious what keeps people going with it since it's so laid back and doesn't necessarily have a story.

I'm all for a game with fun mechanics, so what can I expect from the series if I decide to jump in with New Horizons?

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For me it's collecting stuff to interior decorate and landscape, that's part of the reason I dug Happy Home Designer so much, it was geared towards my particular play style with few restrictions beyond not working towards a house of my own.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bunch of New Leaf, but it never really got its hooks into me. That was my first Animal Crossing, so I'm not sure if it just isn't for me or not.

Interested in New Horizons though...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a good relaxing time where you can go at your own pace, but in actuality you'll start freaking out because its already February and you haven't caught that fish that appears only in winter and OH GOD I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR BEFORE I HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE!

Also the first couple days of the game are mandatory tutorials that pass in real time so... There's that.

There's plenty of people streaming the old games in the buildup to the new one. This one just started, so maybe watch those. https://www.twitch.tv/thatsmytrunks

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You won't think you could curse an enterprising racoon at 4am, but itll happen

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@alias: Now with animation.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: Wow those animations are awesome and deserve way more views than they have

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias: Yeah, I love the dude's style. He goes by AndyRentz on YouTube and twitter, but he hasn't done much animation recently.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The appeal of the game personally is just a nice, relaxing way to spend some time each day, seeing what's up with villagers, being surprised by holiday events and just generally chilling out. There's a bunch of different hooks that you can choose to pursue, whether it be filling out your collection of bugs, plants, fruits, fossils etc. or decorating your home just the way you like it, or obsessing over trying to have at at least one squirrel in your freakin neighbourhood is that so much to ask???

Ahem, anyway it's a cool game about living a relaxing life while having your money stolen by a entrepreneurial shitbag raccoon.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: damn, that raccoon be rich

Excited to be able to craft things in the new one. Finally, the means of production are in the villager's hands!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a game about loan sharks and crushing debt, all masked by really adorable neighbors.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? Go in to expect not to have an objective. The best experiences of Animal Crossing are days when you just roam the town/island, talk to the other animals, and experience the atmosphere as you're given it. It's one of the most relaxing experiences that has been refined over the years and I... just can't wait.

jarp12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Played a bit of my daughters New Leaf on her 2DS and I'm pretty sure I was overthinking it. I can go into a game usually with no laid out goals or objectives and have a good time but my dumb brain couldn't wrap it around AC.

That said, I am getting the new one and look forward to messing around with it on my BART rides.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17 FinalDasa  Moderator

Think Stardew Valley.

There's a small list of tasks you can go tackle, a group of interesting NPCs to liven up your day, and occasional random events or items that spice things up.

Unlike Stardew, Animal Crossing doesn't have crops to tend. There's nothing you need to go do, but maybe a handful of things you could or should do.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Hmmm, I'm curious if the "lack of a path" sort of style gameplay will leave me hanging a bit. I've never really gotten into anything like that before, but it sounds pretty interesting to say the least...and I am a sucker for that Nintendo polish.

jimmyoct87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest tip someone gave me is, don't burn yourself out on it. Animal Crossing, in my opinion, is a game that you play all year. I play for 20-30 minutes a day and then put it down.

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest tip someone gave me is, don't burn yourself out on it. Animal Crossing, in my opinion, is a game that you play all year. I play for 20-30 minutes a day and then put it down.

^^^ This. ^^^ Entirely this. ^^^

That's how most of my time with New Leaf went. You can spend a ton of hours in Animal Crossing, but it'll be in bits and bobs of time across months and months. Occasionally, a longer session as you chase after something specific.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.