Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 08, 2012

The player takes the position of town mayor in this version of Animal Crossing for the Nintendo 3DS.

Time travel: do you ever do it?

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Poll Time travel: do you ever do it? (171 votes)

Yes, at great spans at a time to build interest, even at the cost of my town 5%
    Yes, but only in small chunks to avoid down time at night (Stores closing, etc) 11%
    No, I play the game at the pace intended, without ever changing the clock 69%
    Other (Maybe I'm missing something) 3%
    Show results 12%

Just curious what is most popular when it comes to the in-game clock, especially how New Leaf makes it super easy to go backwards and forwards in time. I skipped ahead a few hours personally to get around stores closing and hastening my expansion. Now I've gotten to the point where I have passed the Night Owl ordinance, I shouldn't have to do it anymore.

How about you guys?

• 
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ViciousReiven

I'm trying really hard not to, but looking at faqs about how long it takes for new stuff to be available it's really tempting.

I know the 24 hour clock is a big feature of AC games, but I'd kill for an AC that had a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory style 'every second is a minute' type clock.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chop

AC isn't a game I play to win or be a completionist. I play to relax and enjoy myself at the lazy pace the game encourages. To me, time travel literally destroys any and all of the game's appeal.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I haven't done so yet, but I'm considering setting the clock forward (or backwards) about 12 hours so I can actually do stuff when I play (which is only late at night).

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I've only ever played the Gamecube version before this, and I messed with the clock like crazy. I don't think I ever even bothered to stay on a normal time schedule. That may be why I haven't touched one of them again until now. I plan to never touch the clock, no matter how tempting. I may sometimes wish that I could do more on any particular day, but I have plenty of other stuff to do in the meantime.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@chop said:

AC isn't a game I play to win or be a completionist. I play to relax and enjoy myself at the lazy pace the game encourages. To me, time travel literally destroys any and all of the game's appeal.

for me personally, it isn't the completionist in me, it is the fact that I game primarily at night, and you can't do anything real meaningful after 10/11PM or so in the AC games. I'm glad they added the ordinances, because it seems like that won't be an issue anymore with stores now not closing til 2AM under Night Owl.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I jump forward single days so I can power through daily routine stuff. But I never do long term interest jumps.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I played on the 'Cube and the DS, I'd time travel all the time. KK Slider only comes once a week. What's up with that shit?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I did that with the gamecube AC because I was young and naive. I am no longer a dirtbag so I will not be doing that in this AC game.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

I used to travel to the end of the game clock to see what the post apocalyptic version of my town was.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No, because what's the point of cheating at Animal Crossing?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sister and I did it a lot when we were little kids but I'm not gonna do it for this one.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MezZa

No, I did it in Wild World and City Folk (Wasn't aware of it on the gamecube), and I regretted it big time. I feel like it makes the game boring super fast because I can just get what I want whenever I want. Nothing to look forward to when you can reach it by changing the clock. It wouldn't be too bad if I did it just to get shops open and whatnot, but it's a slippery slope for me.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the living fuck out of it in Gamecube and Wii, but never to fast forward into the future. Mostly just to keep stuff open when I needed it. I'm not gonna bother for this one since the stores are open fairly late anyway.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

Nah. It just ruins the game.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sanity

No, It kills the game for me. I did it on gc and it makes the game get old fast. I plan to just enjoy the ride.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Ben_H

I was just about to start changing the clock but decided not to, no matter how tempting it is. I did all the time on the GC version and Wild World as well (just so I could get the biggest house possible), but that was because I played those games for like 5 hours at a time. This one I just play for 20 minutes every once in a while.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm too stubborn to do so. But I accidentally sold my watering can and can't get one for another 2 days... so ive been really tempted to say the least.

Akane5689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am guilty of changing the time. The reason why is because it takes my trees three days to go so when ever I plant a ton of trees I skip three days. LOL I cheat so much.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

I considered it when my 3DS froze on me, after I used the browser and tried to go back to the home menu while the game was suspended in the background. I lost a whole day of progress, and considered using "time-travel" to go back one day and try to make up for the lost effort, and only just.

I was able to recuperate most of the stuff I lost though, and ended up not doing it.

So only if the game/system messes up and I end up screwed over for it will I consider such a thing, I think. There may be other exceptions though.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it once but only because my 3DS date was off by a day.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By insouciant

I never time travel. It even bothers me when I have to change the clock one hour for daylight saving time.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I did the very first day I had the game, because I got impatient. Then I changed it back and have played it straight since. My town is now developing nicely, good folks, big house, rolling in bells, and only a little debt. Working on saving up for the Reset centre as we speak.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the first day i got the game i did it a couple of times to progress through the opening hour or 2, just till i had my house and mayoral powers and what not.

Also does it count that i permanently flipped my 3ds clock so it was always day time when it was actually night time? Because i did that to.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly didn't know you could. I assume the game would know and the town would go to shit? I don't mind the weird pacing of the game anyway. In some weird weird way I don't think I'd still be playing the game if it weren't this daily routine thing. And I'm enjoying the way the town grows each morning. It's a more honest and rewarding progression to the game. I feel like I'm actually making this town into something, not just triggering unlocks.

I do fucking hate how slow it is to do specific things in the game though. All the worthless dialogue trees. The frustratingly tiny inventory space. The fucking song during the boat rides. Jesus Christ, those songs. Fuck those songs. If you could more quickly skip through dialogue, upgrade your inventory, and skip that fucking boat ride, the game would be a markedly better experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: During the boat ride, press any button a multiple times, you can skip the songs.

That being said, if all the stuff you mentioned really irritates you, perhaps Animal Crossing isn't quite what you are looking for.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scampbell

I never time travel. It even bothers me when I have to change the clock one hour for daylight saving time.

Daylight saving time should be banned.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now my town is about 20 minutes behind real time because I missed an appointment I made with Fang.

bruceodyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bruceodyssey

I work during the day and don't get home until 7-ish, so I'll rewind to before noon to check turnips prices and see if anything happened in the morning, and then move the clock back to normal time to check turnip prices again and finish out the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.