Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Anthem

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 15, 2019

A multiplayer-focused third-person action RPG from the studio behind Mass Effect and Dragon Age, featuring fully-customizable exo-suits (known as Javelins) with a wide variety of special abilities.

Anthem impressions thread

• 87 results
    pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: You can play all story missions without matchmaking, just need to set the mission to private, and nobody will fill in unless you invite them.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@salarn: Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about that! Regardless, the point still stands that, even when playing with 4 strangers, the game basically feels like you’re playing solo. I don’t think actually playing alone would change much of anything, apart from maybe the difficulty.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jacksmedulla: Yeah one month of Origin Premier is quite enough. Even the 10-hour trial is probably enough. I played about 9-10 hours and I'm GOOD. No thank you EA, no thank you.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: I think playing with randoms in any game feels hollow/solo, I only play with friends for the most part, but there is a team dynamic here due to the powers, the combo system, and the different classes. For example, having a tank in front, the storm being long range, and so on.

I think all the past loot shooters have been meh. Anthem has better gameplay, story, and graphics than Borderlands, Destiny, Divison, etc. The story part is easy since the other ones hardly tried.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jacksmedulla

@deathstriker: I really disagree on that. The encounters just aren't complex or creative enough to encourage tactics like what you describe. After playing for 20 hours, the combat has boiled down to spam your two abilities and maybe someone else's abilities will correspond and combo off of yours or vice versa.

As for your last statements, I disagree even more. I keep seeing people saying that Anthem has a better story than Destiny, and what that actually seems to mean to me, is that Anthem just has MORE story than Destiny. It's just as generic of a story as Destiny, it's just as poorly told as the story in Destiny, and the dialogue is just as simplistic and trite as the dialogue in Destiny. The only difference between the two, is that Anthem constantly forces the player to engage with the dull, boring story, to the point where it severely interferes with the best part of Anthem, the gameplay. Destiny's story involves a handful of 2-5 minute cutscenes, which are completely non-intrusive to the act of playing the game, while Anthem is constantly shoveling shitty dialogue and boring sarcasm machines down my throat, to the point where I have found it actually frustrating me.

Maybe the gameplay is better than The Division or Destiny, but there weren't any interesting scenarios or enemies that ever actually let that shine, so it hasn't mattered at the end of the day. I still much prefer the act of playing Destiny 2, thanks to the variety of scenarios and play styles available.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I wish I was having as much fun as you seem to be having, because I do like the gameplay. However, there a far, far too many flaws getting in the way of that enjoyment for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anthem's story is serviceable, by the numbers action schlock that comes with all the tropes you expect, a big bad and a MacGuffin to chase.

The awful part is not the story but its presentation. The way Anthem tries to fill in the world via the dialogues system is just a prime example for why you should show, don't tell.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: Some of those tactics like the Colossus being the tank, the Storm being long range, etc are built into the game. I'm not sure how much strategy someone can expect if they only play with randoms. My friends and I would strategize like making sure someone has acid for bosses/armor, a lighting power since it's best against shields. I don't know what difficulty you play on, but we only do hard since that gives better loot. Normal was a little too easy, and you have to be more careful on hard.

I hate mute main characters, excluding Half-Life, so that's a big negative when it comes to Division and Destiny's stories. Anthem actually has some cool cut scenes, I don't remember any cool cut scenes in other loot shooters. I'm not saying it's a great story compared to Mass Effect or Bioshock, but compared to other loot shooters it's better than them. It felt like Destiny could've been written by an 8 year old sometimes "the light can destroy darkness" blah blah blah. If anything, Anthem sometimes tries too hard with the sci-fi babble talking about multiple realities and stuff. Maybe Anthem is the "tallest midget" when it comes to story in loot shooters, but it's definitely at the top to me.

I think a lot of the game's flaws are UI related and other things that Bioware can fix. I think everyone should compare Anthem to the first week of Destiny, Division, and others, not to their state right now with years of patches and DLC added.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: We will just have to agree to disagree on many aspects of Anthem it seems, Deathstriker.

I think everyone should compare Anthem to the first week of Destiny, Division, and others, not to their state right now with years of patches and DLC added.

Again, I really disagree with this sentiment. Anthem is released today, in 2019, when Bioware has had literal years to take note of the mistakes that other games from the genre have made and iterated upon. Anthem's competition exists in the here and now, not in 2017, not in 2016, and not in 2014. It deserves to be, and will be, judged by how it compares to its contemporaries. Even were we to compare Anthem to Destiny 1's release state, the dearth of content in Anthem still pales in comparison to what Destiny 1 provided at launch.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: Destiny 1 was awful to me since it involved playing the same missions over and over. I never got the Destiny hype since it had no story, didn't have a lot of missions and wanted you to replay the same crap, and it didn't even give loot out right. That's why stuff like the loot cave happened and there was other drama like Ghost's voice acting being so bad they changed it later. I was glad I rented it day one instead of buying it day one. I might wait on Anthem, it's not an automatic day one for me either. I think all the loot shooters are lacking something.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla:I think it's fair to complain about anthems bugs, UI, loading issues, story etc when talking about "games in 2019", but I don't think @deathstrikeris bringing up division and destiny 1(I'd argue diablo 3 is a good metric too) at launch to go "remember games 2016?", he's saying it because like MMO's: content and well designed gameplay don't always just happen at launch just because you could look at other games that did it right.

A game built from the ground up on making the numbers bigger, but with actual gameplay, online with other people often don't just nail it when they launch. I wish more did! I wish it wasn't like this! But it's common enough that it exists and I don't think can always just be swatted away "well it should've been better cause so and so did it better by now too".

I'm really looking forward to playing. I enjoyed the open beta/demo thing. I'm ready for me to not give a shit about the story or characters, unfortunately, deal with an annoying hub, and to be constantly annoyed at even reduced loading times because you have to load constantly. However, playing with some friends and having the mobility that I so desire in games(the Platinum fan in my brain eats that shit up) will be worth it to me, even if I wish it was better. It had some awful problems that I could not look past recommending this game to someone based off the demo unless they wholeheartedly agree with me in enjoying the basic act of playing the game, but I hope it gets better and I plan on playing either way.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: I don't think it's as simple as dismissing Anthem's content problems as being "just another looter-shooter launch". As you have yet to play the full game, you're commenting on something that you haven't experienced. There is LESS content than Desinty 1 or the Division at launch. Destiny has been lambasted for 5 years now for a lack of content at launch, and Anthem manages to somehow release with an even more significant paucity of content. Of course the game isn't going to release in a perfect state. In these games, numbers will need to be tweaked, abusive methods of gathering loot will be identified, certain gameplay loops will need to be refined, etc. However, Anthem's problems are far beyond those simple shortcomings. The loot drip in Destiny 1 at launch may not have been great, but the loot itself still had a logical progression, and it still hit the right vanity buttons. Anthem, on the other hand, has a loot system that is broken at it's core. The main loot you acquire, the abilities, do not change at all over the course of the campaign. I have played for 21 hours at this point, and I have not received a SINGLE item that is unique in any way. No armor has dropped. No guns with a special skin or strange gameplay changing bonuses has been awarded. Instead, I receive the same guns and abilities over and over again, with a bigger number in the corner and negligible buffs. Beyond that, mission types are less varied than Destiny 1 and the Division at launch. There is no PVP, unlike Destiny or the Division at launch. There are more bugs and performance issues than either Destiny 1 or the Division had launch.

These are glaring, obvious problems that have absolutely no business being in a full priced game with micro-transactions made by as prominent of a developer as Bioware. Especially when this game has been in development for an apparent 6 years, over the course of which, numerous games of the same vain have had the same foibles at launch. "It's a looter-shooter, and they always have these problems at launch" is not a valid excuse for the state Anthem is in.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By tds418

@deathstriker said:

I don't remember any cool cut scenes in other loot shooters.

I raise you...this (graphics looked better in game than on YouTube, obviously).

Also it's hard for me to take you seriously when you keep saying Destiny has no story. Yes, vanilla Destiny 1 was extremely barebones in that regard. But every major release since then (Taken King, Rise of Iron, Destiny 2, Forsaken) and even the more more minor ones (House of Wolves, Curse of Osiris, Warmind) had coherent plots. I'm not going to say most of these stories have been great (though I did enjoy both Taken King and Forsaken), but they've been there. The D2 campaign, for example, has a dramatic opening, a big baddie that's introduced, and a bunch of misadventures along the way to taking down that big baddie. That's a story right there. From what I've read, it's not all that different from Anthem's.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418: When I talk about Destiny I'm talking about the base games, so the video you linked to doesn't count to me. I said Destiny 1 didn't have a story, D2 does have one, even though it's not very good. The idea that you have to spend $60 on Destiny then a lot more money on paid DLC to get a full, good experience out of it is pretty crappy. Anthem, Warframe, and even Divison have somewhat avoided that. Destiny deserved to get way more hate for that, since Bungie hid the cool/unique behind a pay wall.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By tds418

@deathstriker Kinda feels like you're shifting the goalposts now. Whether or not you agree with the pricing structure, my point was that Destiny had at least one cool cutscene and has told plenty of stories at this point. And personally, except for a few months after Osiris where I fell off, I've been playing D2 fairly regularly for a year and a half at this point, and I think it would be unrealistic not to have spent money above the purchase price of the base game to see content that has come out in that time. Games cost money to make, and every MMO or 'loot shooter' needs a revenue stream to justify new content, Anthem included. If you're not charging for new content, you're throwing a lot of microtransactions in people's faces. Honestly, I prefer the former.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418: I'm not changing or shifting anything. The one cool cutscene from Destiny 1 being in the paid DLC backs up my point IMO.

Of course devs need money, but Destiny always seemed greedy to me. If it had a season pass like Battlefield that wouldn't be so bad, but their DLC doesn't work like that from what I know. It's not just more content behind a pay wall, it's the best content in the game getting locked is my problem.

Money for cosmetics is way better to me than paying for DLC. Warframe has a good method too. The Divison had paid DLC, but they didn't lock their versions of strikes or raids up.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: right now unique item ability are only on masterwork or above items, which don't start dropping until lvl25+

You can see examples at this data mining website.

http://anthemarchive.com

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After putting a few hours into the released game now, I don't understand this game. Not on the level of not understanding what to do or what's going on, but on the bigger scale of "what were they thinking?". Even bombs like Fallout 76 or generic games like Far Cry: New Dawn I can understand what they were trying to do even though they fail to miss the mark, but this game.... It just comes off as if no one at any point spent any time thinking about what they were trying to accomplish and how well they've pulled it off. The lack of cohesion, the story-telling, the mission structure, the world building, every new discovery I make in this game leads me back to the same question, what were they thinking? And then you have all the technical stuff on top. Is any of it what they actually were trying to do?

With the right director this game could've been improved ten times over, but what we have right now seems completely bewildered and lacking any understanding of what makes games like these appealing.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the core gameplay quite a bit, I've only done the tutorial missions so far, so I can't comment on the mission design yet (which seems to be the biggest area people have issue with), and the story seems fine, certainly no more or less interesting the Destiny 2's.

I can see why people would be dissapointed by the story if they're approaching this as a Bioware game, but approaching it as a Destiny like, I'm not really to bothered.

Disclaimer: I got my pre-order free with my new GPU, so I haven't spent a penny to get this game.

Also, it looks damn good on the PC containing the aforementioned GPU.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Is anyone else getting constant crashing to dashboard on PS4?

Been playing for almost 5 hours and the game has crashed like 6 times. Usually during NPC conversations in Tarsis.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@hansolol: I got disconnected or crashed a bunch talking to the vanity store guy on the PC version.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anthem is a 10 year project let's hope they don't pull the plug a year from now which they will probably do. I don't see extra content fixing it's core problems.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played a bunch of the Origin Access trial and played a bit of it tonight after full release.

I really like the combat. I’ve been playing the Storm and the Interceptor which both are really fun and quite different from each other. The enemies are fun to fight when you have a mix of types. I like the ability options on the Storm, feels like a bunch of cool choices. Interceptor so far feels like it has fewer effective choices but the mobility is really great.

I like some of the side conversations, like the “sexy danger” freelancer. The binary choices get a bit of flavouring, not a lot but it does feel like I’m defining my character a bit. But it is weird that mission dialog is totally linear with no choices whatsoever. Lots of weird situations where my freelancer is making choices on how she feels about characters with a lack of agency that doesn’t mesh well with my other dialog with sometimes the same characters.

Game runs okay for me. My PC was top of the line when Witcher 3 came out, now less so. But it runs the game okay on high. Heard from friends with better graphics cards that have had less ideal experiences. Recommend installing to SSD if you can.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By knoxt

I dig it a lot more than I thought I would. Certainly isn't the game Jeff made it sound like on the bombcast and I am glad I went with my own intuition because I'm havin' a good time, don't stop me noooow~

EVA Vanquish 4 Dead Void Planet Hunter ...stiny.

I have optimism now I did not during the beta, we will see how it goes but I dig.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

That's it, that's it, this is my game of the year. Hands down. I've never laughed so hard playing a game before I did this.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: Just so you know you better put what my thoughts are on the game, I am overall positive, I just spent an hour roaming around tackling random stuff with people, its a good time, a little bare maybe but I like to think this is a platform base for them to overhaul over time as destiny or warframe has. The framework is there, I don't know why people think it's so broken that it's unfixable. Gambit mode was a recent addition to Destiny, and funneled people into regular competetive modes, so while Anthem doesn't have PVP or much versus at all right now, down the line, who can say? For what it is right now, I'm enjoying pretty much moment to moment, I'm sad to be in the minority on this, but glad the negativity pre-launch didn't shake the urge to play it.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@salarn: I’m aware that it improves a bit later on, but in a loot driven game, not getting any kind of interesting loot for 21 hours is a major flaw.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Deathstriker

@jacksmedulla: What's interesting loot to you? I was getting gear that gave bonus stats like +10% ultimate damage or +20% combo damage pretty early. I think the way it gives out loot is (mostly) really good, since when your overall level is green you'll get mostly blues, when you're blue you get mostly purple, and I'm assuming it'll keep working like that higher up. I'm halfway through the campaign with 20+ hours in the game and nearly all purple and it doesn't feel grindy at all. I don't recall Borderlands having a lot of grind, but Division and Destiny defintely do.

I do think there should be a store to buy stuff with the in-game currency that's white/common. I didn't get the power I wanted, burning orb, until level 11 which is too long. I should've been able to buy it at a store from the start.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is a fun if relatively uninspired 7/10 and it's ridiculous how thoroughly it is getting roasted.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just reached level 300, and this is where I quit. I've suffered enough. Do NOT get this game for $60.

What can I say? It is a bad game, but not a complete fucking distaster. Going to give it a 4/10.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Yeah, I was saying to a friend if this was a Batman movie it would be The Dark Knight Rises, not Batman & Robin or BvS, which is how most the internet is acting.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like this game better than Destiny and I liked Mass Effect Andromeda's combat, but this game is fucked for reasons that have already been mentioned. In fact, I might start a poll on which issue this game has that people think is the worst.

1. Loading times
    2. Poor combat feedback (meaning it's hard to tell which direction you're getting hit from and prioritize enemies, this game could use a cover system, IMHO)
    3. The tomb challenge bullshit
    4. The bad loot economy and lack of loot in general. This really shouldn't have been a loot game. Or at least not in the state the game is in.
    5. Worthless crafting system. I liked the one from Andromeda in comparison and I can't believe I'm saying that.
    6. Bugs (Though to be expected I guess)

I could mention the way the pacing is, the mission structure and the story are also flaws, but they're flaws that are inherit with the genre, sadly. I liked the B-movie Mass Effect that Andromeda was going for, but this game requires a lot of reading encyclopedia's worth of information if you want to understand the terminology.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jacksmedulla

@deathstriker: Based on what you've said previously, it doesn't seem that you have particularly enjoyed loot oriented games in the past, but 10% buffs to your ultimate damage isn't interesting or fun to me in the slightest, especially when the enemies scale with your damage output. Good, interesting loot should change the way the game plays, not simply up the numbers in a negligible way. Destiny has numerous different types of guns that shoot and handle differently from one another, even among guns in the same weapon class. Anthem, on the other hand, has a very narrow pool of guns that all handle the same, regardless of the level. Again, in my 22 hours of playing, I've yet to find a single piece of gear that dramatically changes the way my Javelin plays, which serves to only draw attention to how lacking the mission encounters are in their design. When you get even deeper into the loot in Destiny, you get special, unique guns that have special behaviors and gameplay changes that are actually tangible. Guns that call lightning bolts down from the sky on headshots, cause enemies to explode when hit with a precision shot, make you temporarily invisible after a kill-reload, etc. Loot needs to be unique beyond generalized stat increases, and you need to get some of the cool shit at lower levels. Otherwise, the game will suck until you've hit the level cap and can start earning the "interesting" stuff.

And beyond all of that, we need loot that changes the look of the Javelins: chest pieces, shoulder pieces, leg pieces, gun designs that go beyond a simple change in color.

I've uninstalled the game at this point. I find it tedious and frustrating, and I feel I've given it the fairest shake I could. Furthermore, I think the general consensus among the review community is spot on. Most of the reviews I've seen have echoed my thoughts to a T.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: I like looter shooters, I just don't love any of them (including Anthem). Division eventually became good, Warframe eventually became good. I beat both Destiny's and did some of their endgame - neither did anything for me. D1 wasn't fun since they wanted us to replay the same missions over and over and over and over - D2 wasn't bad to me, they're both too paid DLC focused.

If that's the loot you're looking for I can see why you feel that way about Anthem, but Destiny's weapons don't change that much until you get exotic either. I don't recall any game changing gear in Division at all at the moment. I have seen people get masterwork gear online and those can have crazy, game changing properties. I see where you're coming from with the cosmetics, but having two sets of helmets, arms, and other body parts the first week of the game isn't a problem to me. Bioware has already talked about adding more stuff. The customization here is better than Destiny and Warframe. D2's one time use shaders was an awful idea and anti-consumer IMO. Warframe has good customization, but most colors and some other things are locked behind a pay wall.

If someone isn't having fun they should definitely move on from a game, no reason to torture yourself. Maybe Bioware will update some stuff and you'll like it months from now. It seems like all these games change/grow in time. I don't think it's a great game, I just find it laughable that this and Crackdown 3 are being reviewed at about the same level. Anthem is around a 7.5 to me, while Crackdown 3 is barely a 4 - and I liked the first game a lot. Those critics are entitled to their opinion, but I disagree with them.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Yeah, I suppose that about sums up the entire Anthem release pretty well, haha. People having drastically different experiences with it. I hope Bioware is able to turn the ship around, because I do enjoy the core gameplay. I just don't have much faith in their ability to pull that off, though. There's another thread (here), in which I explain why I'm not confident in Anthem's future, but time will tell.

I've finally gotten around to playing Prey, and it has immediately grabbed my attention, and there will be plenty more to play in the meantime. I'll be interested to see how Anthem does over the next year or two.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Bane

This game is in a weird place. On one hand it can be really good, and on the other it's baffling how bad it is.

The traversal, combat, and moment-to-moment gameplay can be a lot of fun if you're in a squad with friends. The javelins all feel distinct from one another. It's gorgeous. It sounds great.

The baffling parts don't really make themselves known until after you've spent some time with it.

The worst aspect of the game is it doesn't flow. It's literally impossible to get into the groove. Why? Three reasons: One, the god damn loading screens are egregious. Two, you can't do more than one mission in a row without being interrupted by the useless post-mission briefing and getting sent back to the Fort. And three, the BioWare loop of mission > walk and talk around the hub > mission breaks the game up into these 10-15 minute chunks of gameplay > story > gameplay. The game never gives itself time to get going, or gives the player enough uninterrupted gameplay to get into a groove. It's just a whole lot of stutter steps strung together.

The next worst aspect is the loot. For being a shlooter they really dropped the ball here for several reasons. One, I don't agree with the decision to lock the tiers of loot behind your power level. If I'm in an uncommon javelin I still want the possibility of getting a rare/epic/legendary drop. Two, I don't think the amount of loot we get is very good at all. Our squad defeated a boss that didn't drop any loot at all! NONE! That's just absurd. And three, if you're going to be so stingy with the drops you absolutely have to get rid of the useless rolls. Why does this heavy pistol have bonus autocannon damage? The Colossus can't equip heavy pistols! And while I'm at it, I've got all rare equipment on my Colossus so why in the hell is it still considered uncommon? The loot power level math doesn't compute into the appropriate corresponding javelin power level! C'mon people!

I've got three pages of notes about broken and wrong shit in this game. It's astounding that even though they had five (?) years of development, and all these other loot games to take lessons from and to use as inspiration I still have three pages of broken and wrong shit.

adamxkuhn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My experience with the game was buggy to the point of unplayability until this weekend, when I was able to play on console. Once I got it on PS4, it worked well enough for me to realize the game has no personality and doesn't do anything particularly well. The shooting is functional, the flying is kind of clunky, the classes aren't all that different. Meh.

It *did* send me back to Destiny 2, though, which I have a renewed interest in. Gambit reset!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.