Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Anthem

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 15, 2019

A multiplayer-focused third-person action RPG from the studio behind Mass Effect and Dragon Age, featuring fully-customizable exo-suits (known as Javelins) with a wide variety of special abilities.

Metascore Chocolate Bars

adamxkuhn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For sure.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You never really want to see a project fail because of all those years of work the people making it put into the thing, but I can't think of another big name game, from a big publisher, that released in such a middling state. It's not even that it's a bad game but that it seems like such a big nothing - it's dizzying.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheRealTurk

I dunno man, that ratio might be off. Does that mean the game is 62% dark? In that case is the game 38% milk . . . toast? Because it's considerably higher from what I've played.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are there Anthem branded chocolate bars?
    They in the game or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The company I work for uses "Anthem"-branded toilet paper. It's a small-town paper manufacturer, apparently.

Needless to say, the temptation to meme it is real.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@humanity said:

I can't think of another big name game, from a big publisher, that released in such a middling state.

Destiny?

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: yeah I’m very confused. Why/how does this photo exist? I can’t imagine this was done by the Anthem dev team.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deckard: If it is the dev team, all I can think is they put the order in before the game was released and told the producer to add whatever the metacritic score on release day was to the label. And then forgot/didn't have a chance to change the order later.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CreepingDeath0

@fezrock @deckard

It's the cocoa percentage, not the metacritic score (which is lower than this). The chocolate was made for the dev team launch party.

Quite why anyone would think a generic chocolate bar with your project name on it would make a good celebratory gift is anyone's guess though...

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a strange cocoa percentage, aren't they usually a number that ends in 0 or 5 (60%, 75%, 80%, etc.), why 62%

Also, yes, strange launch gift; unless they were getting tons of branded swag and this one was just unfortunate.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Efesell

@fezrock: The percentages on chocolate are all unnecessarily precise. It seems very dumb but I'm certain an expert could lecture me on why it has to be that way extensively.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fezrock: I'm seen some high 60s and high 70s that weren't divisible by 5.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hope that's real chocolate non of that fake compound shit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Destiny was lacking in content but the general gameplay was fun and satisfying even at launch - people were hooked on playing what little was there to the point of standing outside a cave and shooting into it for hours. Anthem doesn’t seem to have any hooks, it’s all just flat.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@mike: Destiny was lacking in content but the general gameplay was fun and satisfying even at launch - people were hooked on playing what little was there to the point of standing outside a cave and shooting into it for hours. Anthem doesn’t seem to have any hooks, it’s all just flat.

I mean that's not fair, every game has it's hooks into someone, it depends how many when it comes to a game like this that determines what matters. If it has enough people playing, we get more cash shop crap and content, if not, the game is done with updates in 9-12 months; forever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: well full disclosure I did not play it myself but from everything I've seen and hear-say on the internets it doesn't seem like it's getting it's hooks into a lot of folk. Granted I've seen some folk like Mike Mahardy say they are way into it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fezrock @deckard

It's the cocoa percentage, not the metacritic score (which is lower than this). The chocolate was made for the dev team launch party.

Quite why anyone would think a generic chocolate bar with your project name on it would make a good celebratory gift is anyone's guess though...

This is the most upsetting thing about Anthem by far.

adamxkuhn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am enjoying ragging on this game because I got suckered into a preorder I couldn't get out of and I feel that earns me a little bit of good-natured ribbing, but even though the game's pretty much not for me -- I don't think I'm all that wild about third-person shooters -- I really do wish the game well and hope it finds a lasting and devoted audience. It sucks when a game people like goes under because of lack of support, or lack of faith, or jerks like me unfairly maligning something a lot of people seem to really like for a cheap laugh.

This was just *too good* not to share.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The graphics and gameplay are good, it probably has the best story in a looter shooter, but that's not saying much. It needs better mission design and more endgame stuff, that's about it IMO. Division and Destiny launched in worse shape to me - at least Anthem's content is free. D1 wanted us to replay missions dozens of times then pay for DLC to get the good stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Yah I guess it's just a matter of taste. Everything I've seen of Anthem has looked incredibly dull to me and yet I spent dozens of hours playing Division. I guess I just thought the level design was more interesting in the Division, the way you entered a subway and somehow ended up on the rooftop of a building at the very end, and then you rappelled down some scaffolding to the place where the mission begun in the first place. The fact that I lived in NYC for a long time probably had something to do with it as well. The loot was admittedly awful in Division as far as RPG-dress-up goes. Oh wow a blue beanie or a legendary green beanie..

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hestilllives19

@creepingdeath0: Metacritic scores are very close to this though, which is obviously what the joke is implying. It's got a 60 on PC, 63 on PS4, and 65 on XOne, and if you average them together based on how many reviews (since PC has drastically more reviews due to early access, and I know that this is probably the wrong way to do this math, it's just faster as I'm not going to look up the individual scores of all 75 reviews), it comes out to about 61.02, so really close to that 62. I also agree that this was a terrible decision by Bioware to do if this was indeed taken there, haha.

For those comparing Destiny 1's launch and The Division, if we are using Metacritic as the barometer (I'd probably advise against but ok), Destiny 1 launched to a 76/75 Metacritic and The Division 80/80/79. IMO there is a pretty huge gap between upper 70's and low 80's and barely scratching 60's. The last EA game to do this bad was NBA Live 15... I'm not saying Destiny 1/The Division had the type of success that future iterations (Taken King, Destiny 2, Forsaken) had or The Division 2 looks poised to, but from a Metacritic perspective, Anthem is really being dumped on right now. And while I'm enjoying parts of it (mostly just my friends and any game that lets me hang out with them), it pretty much deserves all of the criticisms, and as a Bioware fan I kind of hate it and am a bit sad about it.

Note: Since it's being talked about, Anthem's story was really bad IMO. Not The Division bad, but definitely worse than any of the kinda meh stories Destiny has told since House of Wolves in Y1 (and yes, I thought it was worse than Osiris). The only even remotely interesting encounter IMO was the Bartender stuff that was just dialogue tree's you could easily skip. I've found myself just using the O button to skip the vast majority of it, because it's super lame and uninteresting. This is so far removed from the Mass Effect 1-3 Bioware Edmonton, and the Drew Karpyshyn's loss is very clear.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this game is actually worse than Andromeda?

@mike said:
    @humanity said:

I can't think of another big name game, from a big publisher, that released in such a middling state.

Destiny?

or Andromeda lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.