Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

APB Patcher Update: There's 'Light At The End Of The Tunnel for APB'

• 81 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Here's an unexpected one: APB might not be so dead after all. While the game's official website and social media channels (like its Twitter page) are down or dormant, it appears as if the MMO's patcher is still breaking the hottest APB news. The juiciest item by far is the most recent update which reveals that someone is indeed interested in purchasing the game.

"It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB," an unknown person wrote on the October 22 update (via Massively). "The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game."

An earlier update in mid-September said, "various companies are still interested in operating [APB] as a live game" and there are "ongoing negotiations," however no companies or persons were named. 

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==APB went down in mid-September. In fact, the last official bit of news we heard in regards to APB before developer Realtime Worlds went into administration was about the game's looming closure.  

"APB has been a fantastic journey," Ben Bateman, former RTW social dude, wrote on the game's official forums, "but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close."

Word from the patcher is surprising and perhaps not an accurate source of intel. The origin URL doesn't appear to be official, but then again, RTW no longer exists in a functional form. But what makes these words believable is that Bateman, the same dude who brought the news of APB's then-impending closure, re-tweeted the patcher's URL after the October 22 update. We've checked with Bateman to see if this feed is official or what can be confirmed.

No Caption Provided
    And speaking of that, when Eurogamer brought this news to RTW administrator, Begbies Traynor, the pub was given a flat no comment.

Rumors have pegged Epic Games as a company that was interested in purchasing APB, and while it hasn't ruled such a move out, nothing has happened.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Here's an unexpected one: APB might not be so dead after all. While the game's official website and social media channels (like its Twitter page) are down or dormant, it appears as if the MMO's patcher is still breaking the hottest APB news. The juiciest item by far is the most recent update which reveals that someone is indeed interested in purchasing the game.

"It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB," an unknown person wrote on the October 22 update (via Massively). "The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game."

An earlier update in mid-September said, "various companies are still interested in operating [APB] as a live game" and there are "ongoing negotiations," however no companies or persons were named. 

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==APB went down in mid-September. In fact, the last official bit of news we heard in regards to APB before developer Realtime Worlds went into administration was about the game's looming closure.  

"APB has been a fantastic journey," Ben Bateman, former RTW social dude, wrote on the game's official forums, "but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close."

Word from the patcher is surprising and perhaps not an accurate source of intel. The origin URL doesn't appear to be official, but then again, RTW no longer exists in a functional form. But what makes these words believable is that Bateman, the same dude who brought the news of APB's then-impending closure, re-tweeted the patcher's URL after the October 22 update. We've checked with Bateman to see if this feed is official or what can be confirmed.

No Caption Provided
    And speaking of that, when Eurogamer brought this news to RTW administrator, Begbies Traynor, the pub was given a flat no comment.

Rumors have pegged Epic Games as a company that was interested in purchasing APB, and while it hasn't ruled such a move out, nothing has happened.
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

Please, just let this thing die.  It was a failure.  Nobody needs to buy it.  Don't buy it Epic.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Moth_Pope

Good idea? Should probably just let it die... I really liked the creation stuff but playing it was sadly pretty bad.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jayross
    chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By chu52

Wooo

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie
    @LordCmdrStryker: Hey did you play it? No. A lot of people who played it really enjoyed it.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Romination

Oh boy! I, as a company, who's chief goal is the money and appropriation of more, CANNOT WAIT to pick up a failed MMO!

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

No.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm just curious if someone's trying to pick it up on the dirt cheap so they can rip the character customization code out of it and dump the rest into the trash.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @Baillie: One could argue that it was a failure because I didn't play it.  I had less than zero interest to get involved with their convoluted, awful payment scheme and their bland, boring game.  Would I have liked it?  I guess we'll never know.  Personally, I'm not really feeling a huge sense of loss for missing this one.  I think I'll survive.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora

The current game itself is pretty bland from what I hear, but there's some potential with the IP.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I liked the concept, it was just too repetitive and unbalanced. The AK47 was the only weapon you needed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

There was potential with APB. They failed pretty hard, but maybe another company can come in and get em to make the game fun, though its problems seem fundamental.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I'm just curious if someone's trying to pick it up on the dirt cheap so they can rip the character customization code out of it and dump the rest into the trash. "
    I wouldn't doubt it. The character customization was the only amazing thing about the game.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adoggz

oh god, ther are making APB a zombie? STAY AWAY IT WANTS YOUR BRAINS!!!

not that anyone who would play the games has some brains or anything.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I'm just curious if someone's trying to pick it up on the dirt cheap so they can rip the character customization code out of it and dump the rest into the trash. "
    That would be my guess too.
    pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pantzing_nome

huh

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FirePrince

Free to play.Now.Do the right thing.
    JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Stories like this just show how weird journalism has gotten these days.  We're getting potential leads from Patch clients now?  And Twitter is watched religiously for any potential tidbit of breaking news.  All that aside, is APB really worth reviving?  Is there a company out there that could actually wring a profit out of that thing?

captrofl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captrofl

Why do i have this feeling that this won't die.
    EVER

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Mrskidders

Hooray?

Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Swick

As much as I'd like to see success for the genre, can we just let the game die? It really wasn't very good.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PK_Koopa

If a company can pick this up and make this a good game then great. APB sounded like it had some potential in it's ideas but then ended up...sucking.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Surprised and inexplicably happy about this news.

Xichro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xichro

None of you are actually thinking of the direct association of Epic and APB though are you? Epic made the Unreal Engine, a modified version used for APB, thus making Epic probably the best company to buy it outright, they could improve it vastly. 
    I played the game for about 40 hours, enjoyed it thoroughly, all apart from the bugs and the rating system they had going on, the scaling was all wrong imo. 
    If they are thinking of improving APB, they WILL make it a proper sandbox. 

TL;DR: Epic Games own Unreal Engine, APB runs off UE, Epic will make it osum!

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By ribeye

they're so ridiculously invested in this monster, and it's completely over-budget, i'm not surprised someone wants to try and recoup some of it 

whoever it is i wish them the best of luck 

we shall see
    winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By winsord

I'm one of the few, insane, people who actually liked this game. Hope it comes back and they fix most of the crap. XD

lazyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lazyb

make it free to play is my advice

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By aurahack

Boobies.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KillaMaStA

I cant imagine they would come back with a new marketing push saying "no guys, this games actually awesome please buy it" and I cant believe that their going to start developing the game again after its been finished..so, APB2?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By tourgen

Something about the setting and concept is kinda cool.  Execution wasn't that good.  You just can't make a heavy-instanced MMO populated with static quest-givers anymore.  That's been done and the people who want to play that are already playing it elsewhere.  APB was trying out some kinda new ideas.  Maybe if it gets picked up it'll get gutted and something cool will be built with the pieces.

Maybe go heavily into an M rating and add more explosions?  I'd be on board for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordCmdrStryker said:
    " Please, just let this thing die.  It was a failure.  Nobody needs to buy it.  Don't buy it Epic. "
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By cornbredx

Its an MMO. MMOs never die.  

While I never played the game it seems to me with a few fixes it could be pretty decent. The payment model was one of the worst things, and the gameplay was repetitive. Those were major complaints I heard about it. The bugs on top of that made presumably an unfinished product. This is all a guess on my part though so take that for nothing if you need to. 

I dont know how they could fix the game, never having played it. I also dont know if the game will actually be bought. It coming back is highly likely, though, and I think if they changed the pricing structure they could probably get enough people to play it to possible improve upon it. That is assuming thats what they do. They could also bring it back, change the pricing scheme and then not really do anything with it worth talking about but still somehow make enough of a profit to get back what was spent to make it. 

There is other possibilities. The world is full of them. I guess my only point is, having played and seen alot of MMOs (of which only one that actually died was URU) I find it plausible this will come back. Whether or not that means anything is hard to tell.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By Crono

The plot thickens.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DougQuaid

I imagine some Chinese or Korean company will buy it and make it free to play.

Fistbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fistbeard

APB WAS an awful game, mechanically.  It still managed to be a lot of fun.

If anyone can fix all the flaws, it's Epic.

Aut0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aut0n

Come on, APB...DISpatcher. Anyone? Eh? Eh?

user_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By user_1

Please, rise from the dead, I loved you APB!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#39  Edited By sammo21
    @Baillie: I tried it and I thought it was horrible. People liking it doesn't make it a good game, just popular.  Hell, Earth Defense Force games are popular in some circles.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#40  Edited By BeachThunder

:o I want the character creator!

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Cybexx

The hill this game needs to climb in order to come back and be successful is kind of crazy.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sn1PeR

I appreciate the concept, but the instanced games were not big enough to really be considered a MMO.  They should have just sold the game as a persistent multiplayer shooter/"rpg" for one flat cost.  I know that would have made me buy it.  A lot of people are turned off the second you mention monthly fees.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SSully

After seeing the quick look i think whoever did buy it would REALLY have to polish and refine a lot of things with the game. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By scarace360

Just make it die. Just let it die. Im sorry to be the one to say it but some things have to die.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dvorak

If all the strange bugs were taken out of it, with a couple changes, it could have been an awesome game. 

I just don't see that happening.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Question: If it lives on, does that mean some people actually did get a free game from customer support? I mean, they can't exactly take those back...

The_Traviz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Traviz

Remember it for what it tried to be...

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Codeacious
    @CornBREDX said:
    " Its an MMO. MMOs never die."
    Really now?
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Skald

Who would purchase this corpse of a game? Nobody would subscribe to this game now, knowing how volatile it's been in the past.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
    @isnipeyoudie said:
    " @CornBREDX said:
    " Its an MMO. MMOs never die."
    Really now? "
    To be fair, Tabula Rasa exhibited more of an implosion that a death...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.