Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

Cops and Robbers, but Bigger!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheMustacheHero

Recently, I got an invitation from Real-time worlds to play APB and participate in their Key to the City event. Reluctantly I started to download. My reluctance first came from the beta of the game and me not being able to play it due to graphics standards, but I thought "Eh what the heck, maybe they fixed it." And oh yes they did.

This game is amazing. First you choose on whether or not you want to be a Criminal or an Enforcer. I always liked being the good guys, so I chose Enforcer and it put me in the most incredible character customization I've ever seen in an MMO. Choosing gender, height, weight, facial details, moles, freckles, makeup, scars, facial hair, stubble. It's a lot to take in and you can easily spend 30+ minutes just making your character. Once made you go into a tutorial mode. The missions are set-up so that there's regular missions that earn you money and experience with that certain faction that you take the mission from (Praetorians, Prentiss Tigers) and there's "Back up" missions where you are basically called for support and join a group with someone who needs help on their missions. The missions are fast and simple and you never have to find a mission giver, they're all given to you on your radio. So you can be driving around and BOOM get a mission for back-up and choose whether or not you want to accept it, it's a new way to look at questing in a game and you never have to go out of your way to get into the action. 

When playing as an Enforcer you get "Prestige" for doing good things (ie completing missions, not running over civilians) The prestige bar raises to 5 stars, kind of like GTA, but backwards. At 3 star prestige you are qualified as a "threat" to the criminals. This means that when you are doing missions an "All points bulletin" can be sent out on you. This basically means, "Hey you're gaining prestige and levels too easily, so we're sending actual criminal players to fuck you over and try to kill you when you're doing your missions." This is the part I love about the game because it gives you a unique challenge of trying to blow off the dudes trying to stop you and trying to get the mission done. APBs can go either way too so you can be a criminal and suddenly have an APB put out for you, but it would be enforcers after you.

The Criminals and Enforcers are pretty much the same, the only difference is that as a Criminal you can raid shops, and get items for money, mug civilians for money, and steal cars and put them in a lockup for money. On the other hand as an Enforcer, you are able to customize your character with a badge, use non-lethal weapons to stun criminals, and then arrest them (Which gives you a bigger bonus than killing them.)

The PVP is handled really well in this game and it's not what you'd think of when you see PVP. It's not like a PvP server in WoW where when you see a guy on the road you can just totally gank him. It's hard to explain and I've already probably lost your attention.

APB is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time and the most fun I've had with an MMO ever. I already pre-ordered it on Steam :D

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Recently, I got an invitation from Real-time worlds to play APB and participate in their Key to the City event. Reluctantly I started to download. My reluctance first came from the beta of the game and me not being able to play it due to graphics standards, but I thought "Eh what the heck, maybe they fixed it." And oh yes they did.

This game is amazing. First you choose on whether or not you want to be a Criminal or an Enforcer. I always liked being the good guys, so I chose Enforcer and it put me in the most incredible character customization I've ever seen in an MMO. Choosing gender, height, weight, facial details, moles, freckles, makeup, scars, facial hair, stubble. It's a lot to take in and you can easily spend 30+ minutes just making your character. Once made you go into a tutorial mode. The missions are set-up so that there's regular missions that earn you money and experience with that certain faction that you take the mission from (Praetorians, Prentiss Tigers) and there's "Back up" missions where you are basically called for support and join a group with someone who needs help on their missions. The missions are fast and simple and you never have to find a mission giver, they're all given to you on your radio. So you can be driving around and BOOM get a mission for back-up and choose whether or not you want to accept it, it's a new way to look at questing in a game and you never have to go out of your way to get into the action. 

When playing as an Enforcer you get "Prestige" for doing good things (ie completing missions, not running over civilians) The prestige bar raises to 5 stars, kind of like GTA, but backwards. At 3 star prestige you are qualified as a "threat" to the criminals. This means that when you are doing missions an "All points bulletin" can be sent out on you. This basically means, "Hey you're gaining prestige and levels too easily, so we're sending actual criminal players to fuck you over and try to kill you when you're doing your missions." This is the part I love about the game because it gives you a unique challenge of trying to blow off the dudes trying to stop you and trying to get the mission done. APBs can go either way too so you can be a criminal and suddenly have an APB put out for you, but it would be enforcers after you.

The Criminals and Enforcers are pretty much the same, the only difference is that as a Criminal you can raid shops, and get items for money, mug civilians for money, and steal cars and put them in a lockup for money. On the other hand as an Enforcer, you are able to customize your character with a badge, use non-lethal weapons to stun criminals, and then arrest them (Which gives you a bigger bonus than killing them.)

The PVP is handled really well in this game and it's not what you'd think of when you see PVP. It's not like a PvP server in WoW where when you see a guy on the road you can just totally gank him. It's hard to explain and I've already probably lost your attention.

APB is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time and the most fun I've had with an MMO ever. I already pre-ordered it on Steam :D

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Recently, I got an invitation from Real-time worlds to play APB and participate in their Key to the City event. Reluctantly I started to download. My reluctance first came from the beta of the game and me not being able to play it due to graphics standards, but I thought "Eh what the heck, maybe they fixed it." And oh yes they did."
    Could you elaborate on this?
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Origina1Penguin said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Recently, I got an invitation from Real-time worlds to play APB and participate in their Key to the City event. Reluctantly I started to download. My reluctance first came from the beta of the game and me not being able to play it due to graphics standards, but I thought "Eh what the heck, maybe they fixed it." And oh yes they did."
    Could you elaborate on this? "
    Yeah, ok. There were no graphic settings options in closed beta. The default graphics settings was high and you couldn't change it. But now they have low, medium, high, and very high. So I was actually able to run the game :P
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I'm a sucker for character customization, and from what I've heard APB's is insane. I also heard something about that and other parts of the game being free maybe? Do you know anything about that?

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @MarkWahlberg: Yeah there's 3 districts in the game. There's the Social, Financial, and Waterfront. The Social district is a non-combat zone and is also where you change the look of your character and car. Now, since you're going to be in the social district for a long time making logos and customizing your look and such they made it so that when you're in the social district your game time ours do not run out. So if you're on the 20 hour subscription model and are in the social district you don't go wasting all your hours trying to make one logo rather than playing the actual game. But while in the "action districts" like the financial and waterfront, your hours tick away for however long you're in there.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

monthly fee, im out.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @TheMustacheHero: Oh. That's nice of them.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @MarkWahlberg: You can also auction items and designs for RTW (Real Time Worlds) Points, which you can exchange for more "action" play time, or auction for in-game money so you can buy more items. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I've been keeping an eye on APB and it's looking pretty cool, I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions but I'm definitely going to give it a try.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Bucketdeth: Well the Key to the City event is still going on and you can get a key for free from the EA store. I would recommend picking one up and trying it out for free before you make any purchases.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Cool just got a key, how long is the event going on for?

Also whats your user name in game, maybe we can meet up and cyber.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " Cool just got a key, how long is the event going on for?   Also whats your user name in game, maybe we can meet up and cyber. "
    Not sure how long it's going on... but the real game comes out on the 28th. Aside from that, I'm on the First North American server. My Enforcer's name is TheMustacheHero, my criminal's is Scalper.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By Seedofpower

Some of my friends just pre bought this game. Looks promising, is it going to be subscription based or free to play?
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Seedofpower said:
    " Some of my friends just pre bought this game. Looks promising, is it going to be subscription based or free to play? "
    Subscription...sorta.  You can pay 10 bucks a month for unlimited game hours or you can pay 7 bucks for 20 hours of gametime. So if you don't play that often you can buy the 20 hours and play on your own time (The hours never expire). Also, in the social district (where you customize everything) you have unlimited play time, so you don't have to feel rushed when making a design or something.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By Seedofpower
    @TheMustacheHero: Word thanks, I think I need to get back into an mmo. I have too much free time to kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.