Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

Why APB Failed

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dark_Jon

My friend just set me this blog from an ex-RTW employee. It's a very interesting read and will hopefully prevent other developers from making the same mistakes that they did.

Summary of the Blog

• (Founder of RTW) Dave Jones had a Reality Distortion Field where employees could believe almost anything. (An example is that they believed the game would come together at the last minute)
    • They spent all the money made available to them (Luke says they were following Parkinson's Law) and as a result, hired way too many staff members with useless jobs.
    • As a result, time was wasted with numerous meetings that went nowhere.
    • Hired the wrong people and as a result, there were arguments between the people who wanted to become more "corporate" and imitate other large companies and others who wanted to keep the company the same way.
    • The Development Team and Business Team were separated to the point where the Business team handled all the finances and the Development team was kept in the dark about the actual costs for everything.
    • Mentions that while the gameplay and mechanics were poor, they were part of a larger problem. He says, It would be tantamount to pointing the finger at a small number of staff and saying “it was all your fault”. 
    • They were afraid to show of their game and even the so called, "live" gameplay was practiced over and over by the staff.
    • They wanted to wait until the mechanics were perfect before allowing users to test the game but without feedback there was no way they would reach that level.
    • Even the community team had many divisions which prevented other teams from reading the forums or another team to record forum activity. All these divisions got in the way of communicating with the players.

Let this be a reminder, if you make a successful game, don't let it go to your head!
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Nice find! Thanks!

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bhhawks78

I love how he ignores the gameplay decisions when even if it was executed the way it was pitched it would be mediocre at best even if free to play.  Gta style online with cops/criminals....no thank you even if made "well".

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dark_Jon
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " I love how he ignores the gameplay decisions when even if it was executed the way it was pitched it would be mediocre at best even if free to play.  Gta style online with cops/criminals....no thank you even if made "well". "
    Look at CrimeCraft. That game is horrible and what did they do? Made it free to play. Somehow, it's still going. Same with DnD Online and LOTRO. It's just a shame they couldn't do this with APB just because of how much money they spent on it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Jon said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:
    " I love how he ignores the gameplay decisions when even if it was executed the way it was pitched it would be mediocre at best even if free to play.  Gta style online with cops/criminals....no thank you even if made "well". "
    Look at CrimeCraft. That game is horrible and what did they do? Made it free to play. Somehow, it's still going. Same with DnD Online and LOTRO. It's just a shame they couldn't do this with APB just because of how much money they spent on it. "
    No shit. I really really really really  motherfucking like the core concepts of this game, and would buy it in a heartbeat if it was Free to Play, even with all its shittiness.  But if I'm too cheap to pay a sub for a good MMO, I'm definitely too cheap to pay a sub for a shitty one.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is this the biggest disaster in MMO history?

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ShadowofIntent

The short, simple, and real explanation to why it failed is marketing.  I still had no idea what this game was till i read about it's failure.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dark_Jon
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Is this the biggest disaster in MMO history? "
    Right now, Yes. I don't think any other MMO has failed in like 3 months since release?
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By T0mF5

Maybe it failed because it wasn't a good game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Even Hellgate: London and Tabula Rasa lasted longer. 

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bhhawks78

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.  Hell even if rockstar made a free to play mmo with their game mechanics I'd have zero interest unless their writing/story was all over the place.  This is coming from someone who considers gta4 the first/2nd best game of this gen.  smh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.