Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Anyone else playing Dishonored for the first time?

xCharlieSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Games with Gold on 360. Downloaded it, and damn! I really enjoy it. Just was to busy, and flew by my radar when it first came out. I'm glad Xbox is catching up w/ PS plus and putting out solid relatively recent stuff. Keep it coming. Only a few hours into Dishonored, and I am pleasantly surprised. I remember Patrick really liking it, but no one else giving it a real shot.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm playing it, but so far stealth isn't very easy for me at the beginning of the game, and I know that killing too many people will get you the bad ending, which kind of sucks. I'm probably going to just say screw it, finish the game killing everyone, and then watch the good ending on You Tube. I've never been a big fan of stealth in FPS games.

But yes, it's a great title for Games with Gold.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

I got it at launch for PC and I absolutely loved it. The gameplay, the art and the story are all great and there is a ton of replay value in speedruns and collectibles. Still need to play the DLC...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@xcharliesheen: Moved to the Dishonored board. Please try and keep all topics in a relevant area. Thanks!

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it for PC when the price dropped. Amazing game! I've already played it multiple times to see how the chaos level affects gameplay and to get all the endings.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It started a bit slow for me, but I ended up quite liking it. First DLC was pretty great as well, just haven't played the second and last one as of yet...saving it for that special occasion, I guess!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, I played it when it came out. It was one of my favorite games that year and I heavily defended it for a GOTY podcast I was on.

Great game.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Blackout62
    @spaceinsomniac said:

I'm playing it, but so far stealth isn't very easy for me at the beginning of the game, and I know that killing too many people will get you the bad ending, which kind of sucks. I'm probably going to just say screw it, finish the game killing everyone, and then watch the good ending on You Tube. I've never been a big fan of stealth in FPS games.

See everyone always assumes its killing everyone that gives you a bad ending when its really high profile actions like letting alarms go off and getting into huge public swordfights. I killed everyone at Lady Boyle's party and got a low chaos ending because no one touched the alarm before rats happened upon them.

@glottery said:

It started a bit slow for me, but I ended up quite liking it. First DLC was pretty great as well, just haven't played the second and last one as of yet...saving it for that special occasion, I guess!

That second DLC has a beautiful final level completely out of left field artistically from the rest of the game. Green is the prominent word.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Christoffer

I'm playing through it right now for the first time (on PC). I'm about 10 hours in, think I'm near the end. I like the mood and the gameplay a lot, and some of the characters are great. I have had a few problems with the execution of the story though. But nothing that ruins the game.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I loved Dishonored when it came out. Had the most satisfying first person stealth mechanics since Deus Ex: HR in my opinion. The only thing I hated was the melee combat when you eventually got caught. Just felt like flailing around. Story was also forgettable, but whatever

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Liked Dishonored a lot, but the game gives you all these awesome killing powers then locks the "good" ending behind not killing anyone. The "good" ending can go to hell along with the mountain of NPCs I killed along the way. I also like how Samuel tries to screw you by letting the guards know you're coming in the final level if you were a murderous maniac throughout the game. I would've killed him too if the game had let me.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it when it came out on PC and really liked it. It was the best game of 2012 along side with XCOM. If you're liking the game give the DLC (The Knife of Dunwall) a try, it's great!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Without spoiling anything.. If you're playing dishonored to see the endings you'll probably be really disappointed in what you get from it. The experience of playing it and interacting with the cool world/characters they built is the best part. Play it for that stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@spaceinsomniac said:

Without spoiling anything.. If you're playing dishonored to see the endings you'll probably be really disappointed in what you get from it. The experience of playing it and interacting with the cool world/characters they built is the best part. Play it for that stuff.

Thats true but the bad ending can really be a motherfucker of a bad ending.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@rongalaxy said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

Thats true but the bad ending can really be a motherfucker of a bad ending.

Don't click unless you've beaten the game.

I'm not going to complain about the actual context of the endings because they really did the best they could do. It was always going to be "Everything's happy now thanks to you not killing so many enemies corvo. Yayyyy" or "damn corvo, you took out a lot of dudes. Now everyone gets eaten by rats". It's just an inherent problem with that style of game (even Bioshock, which is lauded for having a great story, succumbs to this).

My real problem is the execution of the endings; the way they are presented to you. It's just a bunch of fucking static character models while the demi god dude says the things I outlined in my first paragraph. The whole presentation aspect of it felt mediocre and lazy.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it a long time ago but never got around to playing it. Just started yesterday, and i love it!

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
    thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

Bought it a long time ago but never got around to playing it. Just started yesterday, and i love it!

Exactly the same here, been sitting in my steam library for an age but with the recent games with gold it got kinda pushed back into the light and i decided to finally play it and its pretty great.

One thing that i hope a follow up would address is the lack of abilities for non-lethal only play through's

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rongalaxy: Oh no I agree completely that the way they handle the ending is terrible, but I was specifically speaking of the dichotomy of the endings. The extremes of each version, or rather the extreme reaction of characters in the bad ending can really put a damper on the whole experience in my opinion. If I had gotten that bad ending the first time around I would've been kinda pissed actually.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

One thing that i hope a follow up would address is the lack of abilities for non-lethal only play through's

That's actually something they address a bit more in the DLC, with tools like shock mines and whatnot.

Also Dishonored is great and people should play it. Like stated above, I wasn't a huge fan of the way the endings of that game play out, but I also think the story and characters in that game are just forgettable enough that it's also not a big issue.

TopLeftCenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game never does very much with the story, but I love what the blink mechanic does for first person platforming and sneaking and I think they did a good job of keeping the level design open. Depending on what objectives you choose and how you accomplish them missions can go very differently.

I see a lot of people mention feeling pressure to avoid killing enemies in this game but you actually don't really need to worry about that. The story choices you make have a much bigger impact than how many guards you kill. I forget the exact figure but you can kill something like 1/4 of the guards in a level and still get low chaos. I found I actually had to go out of my way to be loud and murderous to get a high chaos ending.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This might be a rehash of known issues with Dishonored, but just a few observations from someone who has played it recently.

As someone who cares about the story, I don't feel like they did a very good job of having your actions match the outcome. I spared every single target leading up to the final mission, Daud included, but managed to have a pretty violent run through the flooded district, resulting in a moderate chaos ending. When Samuel calls me out for being "brutal" it seemed to completely contradict my actions. When I saved Emily, she asks if they're all dead and then makes a comment that she would have killed them anyway as Empress. First, I knocked out both Martin and Havelock; Pendleton died from his wound. Second, the implication is that I taught her to want revenge. How? By sparing those who wronged me. Yes, I killed a lot of weepers toward the end, but I also completed 2 of the missions with no kills and no alarms. When a game gives you choices and asks you to role-play a character, I expect the story to match my actions. It really sours my opinion of the game. I think they should have tied chaos to how you dealt with your targets.

The gameplay for this game is fantastic...if you don't mind getting a high chaos ending. If you care about getting the better ending, then I hope you enjoy blinking, choking, sleep darts and loading a quick save. Maybe the point is to make people work for a good ending, but it doesn't result in an enjoyable experience. I think Patrick made a mistake in comparing this to Deus Ex; because the gameplay variety in Dishonored just doesn't stack up. Yes, the DLC addressed these issue by giving more non-lethal options, but they should have brought those items over to the main campaign.

That's it really. I enjoyed playing it when I stopped worrying about being non-lethal and stealthy, but I didn't appreciate the impact it had on the story. Seriously, having Samuel tell me off made me so angry I quit out.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By crithon

I can't get enough of it, replayed it 3 times because it plays so well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.