Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Is anyone going to get the "Definitive Edition"?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

There are quite a few games coming out, today, and in a few days, all of which I'd love to get, and can get, but this game in particular is something I'm a bit concerned about. I mean, I got the game on 360 when it was on Gold, but I wasn't as interested at the time, so I had only played about five or so hours of it. That said, I'd love to get into it, and in such a fashion, with the possibility of a smooth frame rate; high resolution, and with all (or at least a bunch of) the DLC along with it, but I'm concerned that it may not be a good purchase considering we have had absolutely no news on it other than an E3 trailer. I ask the question in the title, but what I really want is for those that are going to buy it, if anyone here does, to come back on here and please report how it is. Oh, and just so you know, if I could, I would have gotten the PC version, but my PC probably can't run it too well, so it's not an option. For now, I'll be waiting for game sites to report anything. Off topic, but today I'll get Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (and maybe today or at some other point soon, Until Dawn), then in a few days, MGS5, and perhaps Mad Max. I'd love it if Dishonored was a part of that as well. Many games to play...

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe in a few months, but at the moment my funds are dedicated to MGSV.

Mad Max seems rad too, so I'm not sure if I want to spend money on a game I already own.

Avatar image for dude_dudenstein
    Dude_Dudenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably eventually get it but with the single player nature of the game and it being a re-release I'm going to wait until the price is right. I'll for sure get it though because I never played the dlc and I heard they really fleshed out the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That game has such a specific shading style that I don't think it will be really making much use of the better hardware. It's more for people that haven't played it before to enjoy on the new consoles together with the pretty decent DLC.

I played both the original game and the DLC so no real reason for me to get it, although it's a good game.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Nahh... don't think so

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Next year when I'm done catching up with some of this year's big AAA releases.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

I have it on 360 but never got around to beating it, i believe i was going for the ghost achievment (or whatever it was called) and somehow i got a glitch where a guard saw me right before i knocked him out. Then i stopped playing and never went back, but game was pretty good

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Alright, I got it. Today, the one game I was sure about getting, which was Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, I actually didn't end up getting, and instead I got this game, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, which I got on the Xbox One, so I'm really hoping that was the right choice. I have less games on the One, at least physically (perhaps overall), so I wanted to get more there. It's installing now. I also got Until Dawn, which awkwardly I am not in a hurry to play at the time, even though it's new, and it looks pretty good. My brother bought the DMC Remaster, which is a game I had never played. I'll probably get Gears of War at a later time, after Metal Gear Solid 5, and probably even after Mad Max if I play that. I had asked Eurogamer if they could post any news on their Digital Foundry page about the differences between versions, they emailed back and said they're just looking at the One version right now and they will update soon.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got it and played about 30-45 mins. It is hardly a "definitive" edition. If you already have it, especially on PC, don't bother. All they did was up the resolution to 1080p. It's not entirely clear if textures are better or not. It's most definitely 30fps and some people are reporting a bit of tearing. There doesn't seem to be much AA other than FXAA, which is the worst kind.

I hope Digital Foundry makes a comparison/analysis, because right now it seems like it might not even look as good as the PC version, which people have been able to run at max settings and 60fps on hardware less powerful than the current consoles.

It's no wonder they literally didn't advertise it outside of the initial reveal. It would be a miracle and is quite unlikely, but I'd like it to be patched like Z.O.E. 2 HD was.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@strife777: Yep. I just started playing, and everything you said is true and what I was about to report here. That said, for me personally, while somewhat unfortunate, it's fine. It seems like a mostly solid 30fps, and the art makes it still hold up setting wise. I kind of wish I went back to the 360 version to see what the difference was, but I won't. When I played it on the 360, I was using a different sound system (as I thought my current one was broke, but it wasn't), and I had a different TV, so it's a bit different now, and while yes, this may not be as definitive as one would hope, just with my current set up, it's already much better. The sound is very good, and I really like the art, being held up in 1080p. I agree though that people shouldn't get it if they played it on PC. I am still waiting to see Digital Foundry's results though. So far, I am not really regretting the purchase.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Eh, I got it on PC (and PS3 thanks to PS+ for that matter) and it runs totally fine on that. I'm good.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played through that game 6 times for the Platinum on ps3 back in November of 2012, It was one of my favorite games of that year. I bought it for PC soon after that and played through a bit of it, but I've never played through any of the Daud dlc so that is a tempting factor in getting it on PS4.....and getting another Platinum for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Yeah, despite what it doesn't do that it should be able to do, I am really, really enjoying it. Also, for me, it's not entirely easy to tell if it's 30fps because as such, it runs really smoothly so far (though I'm only just about to escape the prison). On last-gen consoles, you get used to playing games that are supposed to be 30fps, but often times goes below that. The game could use better anti-aliasing; while I'm fine with the frame rate, 60fps would be better, and I suppose some textures (as in, letters and stuff on walls) could be crisper, but honestly, I think this game holds up well visually due to its art. I'm not sure how great the draw distance is comparatively, but at the beginning, looking out over the water at smoke flying over roof tops, and lighthouses and boats going by in the distance was somewhat impressive, though maybe not something to be overly complimentary about considering it may have been that good on last-gen (minus the resolution), and as good or better on PC. I'm also really into the sound design, it's just really immersive. I'm glad I bought it, and only somewhat disappointed so far by the lack of further improvements they could have made. Maybe my judgement is a bit clouded considering this could very well have been a superb game to me all along, I just hadn't played enough of it when I played it on 360 with the set up I had, and wasn't truly into it as I was other things at the time. I do agree that if you have played it on PC, this is probably not worth it, and if you've played it on last-gen, with all DLC, it's not worth it, though if last-gen was your only option and current is now another, and you hadn't played the DLC, maybe it is worth it if you enjoyed what you played.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If I haven't played the game before I'd pick up the definitive edition but I don't feel like going back for slightly better graphics.

GoodlyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want to but I really suck at stealth games.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Duffyside

I wasn't interested in this, though I did like Dishonored, but the rad deal of being able to buy this for $20 because I bought the first version really tickles my loyalty bone. I dunno, I just like being treated well. I did want to replay it, and this gives me a good reas... excuse.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

I just finished the game, and to say nothing (or maybe little) about it being a remaster, I really liked Dishonored. It's a great game. I kind of wish you got more equipment, and/or abilities that dealt with stealth, because I went through the entire game not killing anyone, doing stealth kills, and yet what they mostly give you throughout is stuff to kill the enemies. I was never lacking anything, that's not the issue, it's just that you get more abilities and stuff for killing, which I'm sure is fun, but not how I want to play it, so it was kind of awkward, especially considering you get a bad ending if you kill, I think. I'm not sure about that. As a Remaster, it felt like the 360 version just put in 1080p, that I can't be sure about either, but even if it is, it still looks great I think. It is somewhat disappointing they didn't take it further, as I know it's possible. Also, some of it kind of reminded me of Bioshock Infinite. Alright, now I can finally start Until Dawn. I'm hoping to complete that before MGS5. So, perhaps I'll start in a couple of hours.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am probably going to get it. I own it on the PC but for whatever reason, I just like playing stuff more on my PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably not this version but after really enjoying it on previous gen, I keep intending to replay it on PC with the DLC.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they doing anything special with this thing? or is it basically just the PC version with DLC, now on consoles? I already played the PC stuff and it was sharp and smooth.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of creating a new topic I'll just use this one to ask a question:

Seeing as I never paid any attention to Dishonored at all and just saw some footage of Dishonored 2 that I thought was really interesting, I am thinking of picking up the first game before getting into the second one. I'd go for the Definitive Version for the PS4, but I read that it might have some performance issues as well as really long load times as compared to the original version. I still have my 360 hooked up, can anyone give me advice on whether it's best to buy the PS4 or the 360 version? Have there been any patches for the PS4 Definitive Version since its launch that have improved performance?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bsw: I've heard reports from the streets that Dishonored 2 comes with the remaster of 1. So might as well go for that for the sake of getting a deal.

As for technical issues, the PS4 version on Amazon has a 4.5 average rating out of 5 so I would guess it's a solid port.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Thanks for letting me know. I just checked, and the Limited Edition does indeed come with a code for Dishonored Definitive Edition. Well, that settles that.

And I did check Metacritic before posting and saw similar overall ratings, but with warnings about longer load times and some performance issues. Hence my question about the two versions. Depending on how often it has to load new areas (and how often I am prone to die and will have to reload), long load times can really pull you out of the experience (as I have with for instance the Witcher 3).

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By DharmaBum

@bsw: Between those two options go with the Definitive Edition on PS4. Even if it's not up to snuff with the PC version, it's better than on 360.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@csl316: thanks for mentioning this. I was considering getting DE's definitive edition so I could go through the game again before playing two and this saves me some money. I'll just wait for a price drop on DH2 and get them both at the same time.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@bsw: Between those two options go with the Definitive Edition on PS4. Even if it's not up to snuff with the PC version, it's better than on 360.

Yep, DE seems the way to go on consoles (especially if there is still stock of the LE with it included with the sequel).

The PC version of D1 is very nice. It's a similar Unreal Engine fork as Mass Effect 2 so you can now actually get proper (sparse grid) anti-aliasing working, rather than leaning on the old FXAA post-AA mode it shipped with. Really cleans it up nicely [audio spoilers, mute if you don't want a plot point spoiled], even if some of the texture work is rather low res now when you get up close.

No Caption Provided

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.