Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Drew Scanlon

Person » credited in 9 games

A past contract artist from Backbone Entertainment and former Video Producer at Giant Bomb, Drew ran the West Coast production arm of Giant Bomb along with Jason from 2013 to 2017, whilst also appearing regularly on the Giant Bombcast, in Quick Looks, and in other such video content.

I'm so happy to finally be able to bring to you my 1 on 1 interview with the always exciting Drew Scanlon! Enjoy!!!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders! I just wanted to post my interview with Drew for you guys to see. I also wanted to thank you all for the support for every time I do one of these. It's my goal everytime to dive a little deeper into the amazing personalities we all know and love, and I hope that comes across. It means the world to me that you guys tune in. I mean, I'm still learning how this whole thing works, but I want to make a career in front of a camera. It's all I've ever wanted. Thanks again, and keep being amazing!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh nice, although I'm guessing What Drew Plays now is counting a bunch of money. Sorry, Final Fantasy VI.

So happy for the dude, can't wait to see him get on a regular schedule with these docs.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are cool and you're a cool dude for doing them.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lv4monk: That's so incredibly nice of you to say. Thank you!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: It's very exciting! Can't wait to see more!

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Where can I find the rest of the episodes?

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Good work, enjoyed this!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great interview!

Some critiques, just to help:

As evident throughout, this is why Skype has been abandoned from professional use, especially for video and audio combined (it works OK sometimes for Audio - far from reliable though, as I'm sure you know). The audio syncing, bitrate drops for no reason other than shite infrastructure behind it, and freezes have been there since the beginning and 10+ years later, MS has no intention of improving any of that it seems (in fact, I believe it's gotten worse, at least from the bloating of the client software and non-existent fixing of the backend over the years, combined).

I don't know if it was from Drew's end, but his mic was way hot throughout. That should be at least mostly fixable in post, though.

Unfortunately, if you're looking to make a career out of this, you've got to tighten the editing a bit. No one wants to watch super long videos anymore, unless they're covering a variety of topics or you just look at the "hardcore" audience of Drew/GB/Your fans. I appreciated the depth and length, but from experience, most YouTube viewers are young (read: most of your potential audience) - they want quick and dirty. I would maybe split it up into parts, or do a shorter edit and link to the full, unedited interview. Something like that. I'm not a pro, but a hobbyist, so I don't have the best answers to these issues, I'm sure.

Thanks for doing this, I was really interested in hearing more in depth what Drew is doing, and more about his past which we got surprisingly little of throughout his years at GB. So, overall, great work!

Selftest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Hey man. I like the video, but Drew's mic is way hot throughout. maybe try taking it down in post? Thanks bud!

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mekon

Aside from previously mentioned technical issues, this was a good interview and video, I hope it goes well for you. It was interesting to hear about Drew's early interest in a flight simulator. I wasn't aware this interview was happening unfortunately, but if I had a question it would've been "which was the first simulator that made you want to write notes, or is this not limited to simulation games" (I'm guessing the latter probably, considering some games). I also hadn't heard of the broad scope of the things he'll cover, i.e. entertainment in different countries but not just video games, so that will be interesting.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would suggest researching and trying out some low latency teleconferencing software, and ditch Skype. It gets really awkward and ruins the flow of the conversation each time you interrupt Drew mid-sentence, and you guys take a moment to apologize and say "go ahead" to each other.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I'm familiar with most of the Origins Of Scanlon, I didn't know Drew's first Whisky video editing gigs were working on stuff for Comic Vine and Anime Vice. Drew edited for Anime Vice. Literal. Anime. Editor.

It was Drew all along, he played us like a damn fiddle!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would suggest researching and trying out some low latency teleconferencing software, and ditch Skype. It gets really awkward and ruins the flow of the conversation each time you interrupt Drew mid-sentence, and you guys take a moment to apologize and say "go ahead" to each other.

HI! Thanks for watching! If you have any suggestions for this, I would live to hear it. I use Skype because it's all I know. "Poor excuse" but I would absolutely love to learn another reliable program! Thanks again!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: Drew is a mastermind that in which we have never seen before! Who else can play all of the MGS games as close together as he did and retain that much information! He's probably a computer to be honest...

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mekon: Hi! Thanks for the comment! And I really appreciate the kind words! :) Have a fantastic day Duder!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.