Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Franchise »

The Fallout franchise is a post-apocalyptic series of role-playing and tactics games originally developed by Black Isle, and most recently, Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian Entertainment.

Should I play Fallout 1 or 2?

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jNerd

I want to play a Fallout b4 3. Which one shouldI play? Pros/Cons/Why?

Moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Moose

Apparently you don't need the back story, but you have got a few weeks before release. Perhaps you could pick up an old copy somewhere and get the background on the universe (or read Wikipedia)

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

You should play them because they are great games, not because you're looking for backstory. That is not needed with Fallout 3. ...and if you really want to play one of the originals; the original Fallout is free on Gametap.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshs

I myself find it pretty damn difficult to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days. I played them both when they came out but I can't bring myself to look at them for more than an hour on my monitor. Being locked to a resolution of 640x480 on a LCD monitor that is 1680x1050 native is terribly ugly. I realize that it shouldn't matter but it just does not keep me interested enough to stare at it for long periods of time. Granted, they are both wonderful games and I love them all the same.

If I were to pick one, I would say 2. It had a number of improvements over the original.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By elko84
    JoshS said:
    "I myself find it pretty damn difficult to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days. I played them both when they came out but I can't bring myself to look at them for more than an hour on my monitor. Being locked to a resolution of 640x480 on a LCD monitor that is 1680x1050 native is terribly ugly. I realize that it shouldn't matter but it just does not keep me interested enough to stare at it for long periods of time. Granted, they are both wonderful games and I love them all the same.

If I were to pick one, I would say 2. It had a number of improvements over the original."
    I agree, I can't stand to play them like that either.
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Black_Raven

Its funny you mention it, I've just started playing through fallout 2. I downloaded it awhile ago but never had the time to play it. Its a really great game but it may take you awhile to get used to its dated graphics.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

I can't stand Fallout's old combat system.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshs
    atejas said:
    "I can't stand Fallout's old combat system."
    It all depends on the types of games you played back when they were released. I liked it at the time. Right now, of course, it feels pretty dated. But people like me can look past that. I'm one who got Baldur's Gate the day it was released. On my 10th birthday no doubt. Also, yes I realize that was released after the original Fallout, but that gives you an idea of the types of games I played then. :)
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By atejas
    JoshS said:
    "atejas said:
    "I can't stand Fallout's old combat system."
    It all depends on the types of games you played back when they were released. I liked it at the time. Right now, of course, it feels pretty dated. But people like me can look past that. I'm one who got Baldur's Gate the day it was released. On my 10th birthday no doubt. Also, yes I realize that was released after the original Fallout, but that gives you an idea of the types of games I played then. :)"
    Well, I can never get into those older Forgetten Realms games either, so....
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshs

My point exactly. They were very much aimed at a specific audience. I just happened to be a part of that audience.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Bulldog19892

Play both. They were both fantastic.

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaneesh

About @JoshS said:

" I myself find it pretty damn difficult to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days. I played them both when they came out but I can't bring myself to look at them for more than an hour on my monitor. Being locked to a resolution of 640x480 on a LCD monitor that is 1680x1050 native is terribly ugly. I realize that it shouldn't matter but it just does not keep me interested enough to stare at it for long periods of time. Granted, they are both wonderful games and I love them all the same.If I were to pick one, I would say 2. It had a number of improvements over the original. "
    You dont miss HD untill you look at it all the time :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.