Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone else like these?

I used to be a huge AMV nut, kinda still am, but unfortunately the site where I used to find them all, animemusicvideos.org, has been on a steep downward spiral since YouTube started taking over everything. From a high of almost 38,000 AMVs submitted in 2005, last year there were less than 800. Of course people still make them, but I miss that community.

Anyway, a quick check of the folder properties for my AMV folder tells me I've got about 470 of them saved to my hard drive. They're of varying quality; some I just like because I feel a particular connection to the anime or song used. But some of them are truly astounding, greater than the sum of their parts. I thought I'd share some of my favorites from over ten years of collecting them, and of course I'm interested to see if anyone else has some of their own favorites they'd like to share (or maybe even stuff they made themselves).

I’ve included the following information with every video so they can be keyword-searched and easily assessed at a glance:

• Video Title
  • Video Creator
  • Anime
  • Musical Artist
  • Song Title

Hopefully someone will find something they enjoy. I’m posting them in alphabetical order by anime used, starting with “various” (i.e. multiple sources) first.

Video Title: "Memory Flash 3 -- Into the Mirror"
Video Creator: AMV France (coordinators: MoC, S.o.H)
Anime: Various
Musical Artist: Imogen Heap
Song: "The Walk"

Video Title: "Jihaku"
Video Creator: Tyler
Musical Artist: Foo Fighters
Song: "Best of You"

Video Title: "Nara"
Video Creator: Oro$hi
Musical Artist: David Nevue
Song: "No More Tears"

Video Title: "Creating Something Beautiful"
Video Creator: siny
Anime: Various Ghibli
Musical Artist: NeedToBreathe
Song: "Something Beautiful"

Video Title: "Airwave"
Video Creator: DigiCat
Musical Artist: Kay Stone
Song: "Alone (Vocal Club Mix)"

Video Title: "Resonance Drift"
Video Creator: Benreparn
Musical Artist: Nadia Ali, Starkillers & Alex Kenji
Song: "Pressure (Alesso Remix)"

Video Title: "Lost in Paradise"
Video Creator: MusicFish, 51Jian
Musical Artist: John Newman
Song: "Fire in Me"

Video Title: "Pins and Needles"
Video Creator: Luggeriano & Velhou
Anime: Various Satoshi Kon-directed anime
Musical Artist: The Birthday Massacre
Song: "Pins and Needles"

Video Title: "Momentum"
Video Creator: Koopiskeva
Anime:5cm Per Second
Musical Artist: Mae
Song: "Awakening"

Video Title: "Whoarriors"
Video Creator: Ileia
Anime:Beyond the Boundary
Musical Artist: Imagine Dragons
Song: "Warriors"

Video Title: "Dare to Love Again"
Video Creator: Perfect Blue
Anime:Clannad
Musical Artist: Poets of the Fall
Song: "Carnival of Rust"

Video Title: "Immerse"
Video Creator: AimoAio
Anime:Durarara!!
Musical Artist: Pendulum
Song: "Witchcraft"

Video Title: "Advent Sword of the Complete Stranger's Children Extended"
Video Creator: Silk_SK
Anime:Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Sword of the Stranger
Musical Artist: RTPN
Song: "Awakening"

Video Title: "Free Willies"
Video Creator: Amaterasu
Anime:Free! (+a few others)
Musical Artist: The Lonely Island
Song: "No Homo"

Video Title: "Incubus"
Video Creator: Radical Yue
Anime:The Garden of Sinners
Musical Artist: Above and Beyond
Song: "Can't Sleep"

Video Title: "Between Rage and Serenity"
Video Creator: Cenit
Anime:Gargantia On The Verdurous Planet
Musical Artist: Icona Pop
Song: "In The Stars"

Video Title: "Binary Overdrive"
Video Creator: Nostromo
Anime:Genius Party Beyond
Musical Artist: Sugar Jesus
Song: "Get a Hold of Yourself"

Video Title: "P.Y.A. (Perfect You Are)"
Video Creator: Vann
Anime:The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Musical Artist: Halou
Song: "Honeythief"

Video Title: "Apathy"
Video Creator: Mosaic
Anime:Hyouka
Musical Artist: Helios
Song: "Bless This Morning Year"

Video Title: "My Favorite Days"
Video Creator: CrackTheSky
Anime:Kids on the Slope
Musical Artist: Lights
Song: "Running with the Boys"

Video Title: "Falling Dreams"
Video Creator: MysteriousRyder
Anime:Kingdom Hearts (yes, Kingdom Hearts is most definitely anime)
Musical Artist: Within Temptation
Song: "See Who I Am"

Video Title: "Cold and Bloody"
Anime:Lupin III
Musical Artist: Kid Ink
Song: "Ride Out"

Video Title: "Alight"
Anime:Lupin III
Musical Artist: Carly Rae Jepsen
Song: "Run Away with Me"

Video Title: "Center of the Sun"
Video Creator: Feanor
Anime:Metropolis
Musical Artist: Conjure One
Song: "Center of the Sun"

Video Title: "One-Eyed Fish"
Video Creator: Rider4Z
Anime:Mushishi
Musical Artist: Nightwish
Song: "The Last of the Wilds"

Video Title: "Evangelion Opus"
Video Creator: Kaysow
Anime:Neon Genesis Evangelion
Musical Artist: Queen
Song: "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Video Title: "Phobia"
Anime:Paranoia Agent
Musical Artist: Blue October
Song: "X Amount of Words"

Video Title: "The Nightmagi Cometh"
Video Creator: Kisanzi
Anime:Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Musical Artist: Joman
Song: "Daymanstep"

Video Title: "Euphoria"
Video Creator: Koopiskeva
Anime:Rahxephon
Musical Artist: Frou Frou
Song: "Must Be Dreaming"

Video Title: "Vertical Limit"
Video Creator: [key]Scarlet
Anime:Redline
Musical Artist: Sergey Fisun
Song: "Aura"

Video Title: "SlashDash"
Video Creator: Rhohir
Anime:Samurai Champloo
Musical Artist: Styles of Beyond
Song: "Superstars"

Video Title: "Ringleader"
Video Creator: Hagaren Viper
Anime:Soul Eater
Musical Artist: Britney Spears
Song: "Circus"

Video Title: "Vintage Misery"
Video Creator: Shin
Anime:Soul Eater
Musical Artist: Fall Out Boy
Song: "The Phoenix"

Video Title: "Awesome Bunneh"
Video Creator: AllyKatAVR
Anime:Summer Wars
Musical Artist: Blue Stahli
Song: "The Pure And The Tainted"

Video Title: "Imagine"
Video Creator: Lord Rae
Anime:Texhnolyze (probably my favorite anime ever, incidentally)
Musical Artist: A Perfect Circle
Song: "Imagine"

Video Title: "The Wind Calls"
Video Creator: Tyrfalger
Anime:The Wind Rises
Musical Artist: Thomas Bergersen
Song: "Homecoming"

Video Title: "Fidelity"
Video Creator: Xophilarus
Anime:Wolf Children
Musical Artist: Lauren Aquilina
Song: "King"

Video Title: "Echo of Life"
Video Creator: Ookami
Anime:Your Lie in April
Musical Artist: Jason Walker
Song: "Echo"

Video Title: "La La Land"
Video Creator: JazzsVids
Anime:Your Name
Musical Artist: DVBBS, Shaun Frank ft. Delaney Jane
Song: "LA LA LAND [Lincoln Jesser Remix Edit]"

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can already tell that this thread is going to be a test for everyone's internet speed. Just saying.

Anyway. I'm a tough audience when it comes to AMVs. I started watching them when AMV Hell was relatively new, which was a great series of videos that are still pretty amusing to watch these days. But I also noticed AMVs during the Windows Movie Maker era, which was not particularly great because of almost everything was shows that weren't relevant to my interest mixed with Linkin Park, Evanescence and other groups of that vein. As for now-a-days, I do look though MAL's "share your AMV thread" every now and then, and I am anything but impressed by people taking the more simplistic route to editing by just letting scenes play to the chosen audio. They're basically glorified PowerPoint presentations.

That said, I can put my money where my mouth is when it comes to editing. I'm not really up for advertising my channel since GB is not my target audience given the one series that I like to use, but I basically address my criticisms with AMVs by editing on beat, using lip syncing, and actually think about which scenes are the best fit for certain moments in a song, rather than try to just get out a video in the shortest amount of time just for the sake of views and subs. Also, I do have two notable AMV Hell inspired videos out there of which are about 20 minutes long and each took me at least 100 hours to edit, with a third one in the pipeline, so I also have my way of keeping the AMV Hell legacy going since nothing else is really doing it for me.

So, TL;DR: AMVs are more fun to make than they are to watch. I'm not a pro; I don't know how to use Premiere and After Effects and I'm not willing to take the time to learn how to use them just to make better AMVs, but I'm certainly no amateur; I can get some pretty good results by mixing things together with Vegas Pro and Photoshop. ...And long live AMV Hell.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: I certainly know the AMV Hell project and have enjoyed watching those videos, but I guess I've also never gotten why people seemed to love it as much as they do. The focus was on short parody bits, with a deliberate choice to not bother trying to create seemless transitions between scenes or have any real unity to the piece, as opposed to other MEPs that tried harder to be a coherent whole. It always seemed like kind of a lazy way to go about things: let's just take a bunch of unrelated parody clips and smash them together. Fun to watch once, but there doesn't seem to be much there to go back to. I've got nothing against good parody, especially if the lip sync is on-point, but I'd rather see a full-length single thing than fifty 15-second short bits back to back to back. Different strokes, I guess.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher:From my perspective, I hold the Hell series in pretty high regard for exposing me to various shows, movies, music and pre-YouTube internet references of which none of my real life friends at the time would talk about. Without Hell, I probably wouldn't have discovered metal or know about relatively obscure shows for today's audience like Excel Saga or Grenadier. MAL wasn't much of a thing for me until 2012, so I probably wouldn't have know about those shows by any other way.

As for Hell's structure: Yeah, sometimes it can be hard to make a connection when an obscure/esoteric reference is made. There are certainly some clips that still go over my head. But, there are also plenty of moments where the audio used actually relates to the shows and characters that it's applied to, and I think there's a certain point where it's more on the onus of the viewer to understand and appreciate those references as opposed to having everything spelled out. Sometimes the straight forward/conventional approach works for me, like Hype-Odermic Studios'/Beowulf's classic mix of Neon Genesis Evangelion and TEoE with Radiohead's "2+2=5", another good mix a saw was with Perfect Blue and "Needles and Pins" by Deftones, and I do acknowledge "Euphoria - Must be Dreaming" as a very high point for AMVs at the time. But the reigning majority of beginning and amateur editors continue to poison the water for me to where I feel like I'm the only editor that can impress me these days.

So, to speak from the perspective of an editor, something that I've been doing on and off since 2009 with WMM and Vegas: Again, you do make a fair point in that AMV Hell's scene selection lacks narrative cohesion because essentially everything from every show is on the table (not that I would recommend AMV Hell as a "too long; didn't watch" summery for a certain show, except for Azumanga Daioh), and I don't expect everyone to like sketch comedy; specifically Robot Chicken in this case since the two are pretty similar. But with how I approach my Ikkitousen parodies (where yeah, sure, me focusing on a single franchise is different from mixing multiple franchises, but hear me out), I actually write a script and plan things out, like; which alternate source of audio is an appropriate fit for which scenes and characters, try to balance between how often characters and scenes show up so that I'm not repaying myself too often, balance internet references with music, TV shows and movie, try to use different genres of music, and make the videos safe enough for YouTube even with marking them as mature. With all of that considered, it can take me up to 3 hours to put together a 15-second clip. That's anything but lazy. So I guess my point here is that you don't have to strictly follow Hell's blueprint and that you can get the best of both worlds if you put the time and effort into it, and arguably actually put your personality into a video as opposed to just merely retelling a story.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: Well, I think you misinterpreted a couple of things I said. First, I never implied that actually making any clip, including a 15-second one, was easy or "lazy." What I was saying was that AMV Hell as a composite of a bunch of short clips other people had made was kinda lazy, in the sense that usually the clips had nothing to do with one another, and no one really tried to make them, all they did was add the shot of the static-y TV between clips, and that was it. Like, there's really no need to put them together at all, it could easily just be a YouTube playlist rather than a single long video. And like any such random amalgamation of short bits, some are good and some are meh. I'd rather see one unfied, longer-form video I really like than fifty short clips of varying quality smooshed together with no rhyme or reason to it, just like I'd rather read a good novel than Reader's Digest.

Second, you said: "As for Hell's structure: Yeah, sometimes it can be hard to make a connection when an obscure/esoteric reference is made. There are certainly some clips that still go over my head." But again, I wasn't talking about the "structure" of individual clips. That would be an insane thing to do since there are so many and they're all so different, and it wouldn't be fair to paint them all with the same brush. What I was saying is that the AMV Hells as long-form videos didn't really have a structure. They're just strings of unrelated gags. And while that may be fun to watch once, it's not something I want to hold on to. I'd way rather have a good full-length single-source parody video instead.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: Well, nuanced misunderstandings aside, I think we get the main points of what we're saying.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

I once sat and watched an entire AMV contest at Metrocon.

That's my story.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeDangerous

Thanks this was fun to hop down memory lane for some of these AMVs! I too used to roll around AMVs back in the Hell days and that site. It's been a hot second since I've seen the "Best of You" and "Dayman Cometh" videos so that was fun.

The only three I can think of that I like to keep track of are kind of weird. (that I didn't see here):

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Apocalype Wow! Amv" (title is misspelled)
Video Creator: eternaldragon345 (not his work but current channel)
Anime: Geobreeders / Geobreeders 2
Musical Artist: Quarashi
Song: "Baseline"
Note: Quarashi is basically Beastie Boys but Baseline slaps too hard to not recommend. Also I never see Geobreeders used anywhere else.

(Link to Danger Days AMV)

Video Title: "Danger Days"
Video Creator: bestamvsofalltime (edited by Squall)
Anime: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Musical Artist: My Chemical Romance
Song: "Na Na Na"
Note: I've never seen a song fit so perfectly with an anime before for this AMV. Kinda impressed.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "AMV - chu chu lovely hinamizawa (Editor: rurisis)"
Video Creator: maplexman2
Anime: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)
Musical Artist: Maximum the Hormone
Song: "Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura"
Note: Nothing can act as a proper companion to Higurashi's tonal duality than this song by Maximum the Hormone.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The VCAs get smaller every year. The only AMV that really grabbed me upon reviewing all the finalists for this year was this one, but I do like it quite a bit and thought it worth posting here:

Loading Video...

Video Title: "flow/er"
Video Creator: lokkiclu/Soul's Team
Anime:Tokyo Ghoul (+various)
Musical Artist: INZO
Song: "Overthinker"

The speaker is the unmistakable Alan Watts, a British guy well known for giving popular lectures on eastern religions for western audiences. Technically I guess you could say the song (which has been shortened for this video) "samples" Watts, but really, his speech is so prominent that it would be more accurate to say that it's just Watts with music put over him. The (edited) speech is from a lecture entitled "Overthinking Will Kill Your Reality."

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Quite frankly, I wasn't aware that AMVs had gone beyond Linkin Park and Papa Roach poorly synced to Dragonball Z and Bleach fights in 240p.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Yep, it did kinda seem like that for a while there. But they did in fact evolve into other things!

Personally, I just like good music videos or trailers/teaser trailers of any kind. Sometimes I find a really good one and just sit there looping it for half an hour.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258 said:

Quite frankly, I wasn't aware that AMVs had gone beyond Linkin Park and Papa Roach poorly synced to Dragonball Z and Bleach fights in 240p.

My ire words that era aside (as well glorified PowerPoint presentations from this era), one of those older AMVs got me into "Crawling in the Dark." Kinda cheesy? Sure. But fuck it. It's an old school banger to me.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtheistPreacher

@facelessvixen: Actually, speaking of cheesy 90s and early 2000s music, another overused band for AMVs was Evanescence... which I never liked all that much, really. But after all the Evanescence vids got taken off animemusicvideos.org, it seemed like people just started using Within Temptation instead, a Dutch metal band which had a similar sort of style but was much better, to my mind. Their "Silent Force" album is a favorite of mine. And I discovered them through AMVs (the opening post actually contains an AMV using one of their songs).

Also, unrelated, but that actually led to what has to be my funniest interaction with a celebrity. I ended up buying the special edition CD of "Silent Force," and in the liner notes, the band thanked some of their inspirations, which included George R. R. Martin. This was years before the HBO series was a thing, but I had read the books, loved them, and wondered if Martin knew about this Dutch band thanking him. So I emailed him and told him. He emailed me back and told me that no, he hadn't been aware of that one. What made it funny was the amount of time it took him to reply: two and a half years. I mean, I didn't really expect a reply in the first place, but to get a response to an email years after I sent it, and from GRRM no less, was a memorable experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I consider this peak AMV, the fact it was made in 2005 and makes sure not to hide it is what makes it so good.

arleyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

For me this AMV kinda good.. And still my favourite.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AtheistPreacher

@arleyne said:
Loading Video...

I have to say first that I haven't seen any of the source material for this video. And because of that, I did not notice at all that the creator was apparently shipping two characters from entirely different shows. That's a pretty impressive thing to be able to pull off, especially eight years ago when software wasn't quite as good. I mean, I don't love the music, it's pretty middle-of-the-road for me, but I can respect the craft.

It immediately made me think of this video from 2014, which manages to combine footage from quite a variety of different sources in order to tell an entirely new story, while at the same time appearing pretty seamless for anyone who doesn't know what the editor was up to. It would be easy to think it was single-source rather than from five different animes.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Unbound"
Video Creator: Ryuu-Dono
Musical Artist: God Is An Astronaut
Song: "All Is Violent, All Is Bright"

Some of these creators are just really good at this stuff.

arleyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arleyne said:
Loading Video...

I have to say first that I haven't seen any of the source material for this video. And because of that, I did not notice at all that the creator was apparently shipping two characters from entirely different shows. That's a pretty impressive thing to be able to pull off, especially eight years ago when software wasn't quite as good. I mean, I don't love the music, it's pretty middle-of-the-road for me, but I can respect the craft.

It immediately made me think of this video from 2014, which manages to combine footage from quite a variety of different sources in order to tell an entirely new story, while at the same time appearing pretty seamless for anyone who doesn't know what the editor was up to. It would be easy to think it was single-source rather than from five different animes.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Unbound"

Video Creator: Ryuu-Dono

Musical Artist: God Is An Astronaut

Song: "All Is Violent, All Is Bright"

Some of these creators are just really good at this stuff.

If you know that the original author which make the video is passed away. I feel the song is have the 'different meaning'.

The list of the anime if you curious:
Anime: K-on!, K-on!!, K-on movie, Hyoka, Kimi ni todoke, Mawaru Penguin Drum, Bakemonogatari, Fate Zero, Toradora, Kurakami, Durara!, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Fuyu no Sonata, ef - a tale of melodies, ef - a tale of memories, Steins;Gate, Hachimitsu to Clover, Kuroshitsuji, Toaru Majutsu no Index, Guilty Crown, Kara no Kyoukai, Karas, Ga-Rei -Zero-, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Yosuga no Sora, Naruto, Bungaku Shoujo, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon, Angel Beats!, Clannad, Clannad After Story, Kannagi, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth ~ The Animation, Black Rock Shooter, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, White Album, Nogizaka Haruka no himitsu, Bleach, Another, Inu x Boku SS, original animation

The original video

Loading Video...

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Goodnight"
Video Creator: JazzsVids
Anime: Various (mainly Devilman Crybaby)
Musical Artist: MUNA
Song: "Crying on the Bathroom Floor"

Man, some people are just ridiculously talented at this stuff. 8-O

The same creator did this Your Name AMV, which I had at the end of my initial post, and is also ridiculously good.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never thought to ask, but upon realizing that I like editing more than watching, I might as well: What's the appeal to watching AMVs these days?

Is it seeing an anime that you like being mixed with a song that fits one of the show's story lines and/or motifs? Is it from hearing music that you like being mixed with a show that can fit the lyrics and/or the emotional tone of the instrumentals? Is it because both are familiar so you in turn like the video? Or is it just a general appreciation for the craft where it's an opportunity to discover some new shows and music?

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: It depends, but generally speaking for me it's that last one, at least for initial discovery.

I mean, taking this one I just posted as an example. I haven't gotten around to watching Devilman Crybaby, though I've certainly heard some good buzz about it and still might. As for the song, I had never even heard of MUNA. But it turns out I really like the song, and the footage is really skillfully and artfully edited to it. It's just a joy to watch. I've always loved music videos and trailers for the way that they can capture emotional highs in a condensed form, kind of all sex and no foreplay. And then I may well look into the musical artist or anime further, if both are new to me. Sometimes the actual full anime can't live up to the AMV for me.

I've certainly also gone at it from the angle of looking for AMVs of shows I know and like, or from the angle of music I know and like. I think perhaps it's most important of all that I dig the music to some extent. I'm generally not going to repeat watch anything for which the music doesn't do anything for me, no matter how skillfully edited. E.g., I could appreciate Nostromo's vids on a technical level, but the music he chose was so bland/meh for my tastes that his vids overall fell flat for me most of the time (though I liked the one he did with Sugar Jesus, that one's up there in my initial post). By contrast, if I like the song well enough, the editing can be a little marginal and I might still like it okay, though there are limits.

Maybe it also helps to understand that I'm one of those people who will find a new song I really like and then play it on an endless loop for days on end--for that honeymoon period with a song where it just seems like magic, like the best thing ever--before integrating it into a larger playlist. And when I find a really good AMV (or music video in general, or maybe even a trailer), I usually do the same thing, to a lesser extent. When I discovered this one last night, I probably watched it about a dozen times in a row. And some nights I'll be in an AMV mood, go into my big-ass AMV folder and just re-watch a bunch of my favorites that fit whatever mood I'm in.

Maybe I'm a little unusual or obsessive in this regard? I dunno. I don't think I have a good sense of other people's viewing habits.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite anime amvs routinely being associated with early 00s mixes with Linkin Park, there's actually a fun underground scene in which creators take rap music, and sync them to anime, and pretty much act like they're in a rap battle.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

And for something different

Loading Video...

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never thought to ask, but upon realizing that I like editing more than watching, I might as well: What's the appeal to watching AMVs these days?

Is it seeing an anime that you like being mixed with a song that fits one of the show's story lines and/or motifs? Is it from hearing music that you like being mixed with a show that can fit the lyrics and/or the emotional tone of the instrumentals? Is it because both are familiar so you in turn like the video? Or is it just a general appreciation for the craft where it's an opportunity to discover some new shows and music?

Based on the videos I posted, it's less about seeing songs that have anything to do with the anime, and more about seeing how creators can sync scenes with the music. But yeah the Death Grips one I posted is an example of a song absolutely fitting the tone of the anime.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just gotta say this brings me back to 2002. I'm just grateful it not all Lincoln Park AMV's

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher& @kemuri07: Well, thanks for for confirming that I really am better off doing whatever I want; not that I ever cared too much about views/engagement (and in turn wouldn't ask people around here to like, comment and subscribe), but now I'm even more sure that me being satisfied with my own projects is the most important thing to go for.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: I mean, yeah, I'd think doing what you want as a creator is almost always the best policy. I don't think there's anyone actually making money doing AMVs, much less making pandering AMVs, right? Unless I'm missing something.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

RE: The appeal of watching AMVs these days - I'm typically drawn towards AMVs that work as a trailer for a show, I can send them to people as an example of how the show is. But I also just like hype reel and exciting AMVs. Cool factor and inspirational feel counts for a lot. They're usually songs I'm unfamiliar with, but the lyrics usually fit the show narratively, or the visuals easily conform to the narrative of the song.

Here are some I like:

Loading Video...
  • Fair and Square
  • CrackTheSky
  • Ping Pong The Animation
  • Walk The Moon
  • Work This Body
Loading Video...
  • Kizumonogatari - Castle
  • Bayons AMV
  • Kizumonogatari
  • Halsey
  • Castle
Loading Video...
  • Deku - High Hopes
  • Mocha AMV
  • My Hero Academia
  • Panic! At The Disco
  • High Hopes
Loading Video...
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Trailer Remastered
  • Animekid9000
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Peter Gabriel
  • My Body Is A Cage

Loading Video...
  • A Sporting Chance
  • Tigrin - Otaku Lounge Productions
  • Various ( Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice, Yowamushi Pedal, Ace of Diamond, Hajime no Ippo, Free!, Kuroko's Basketball)
  • The Struts
  • Could Have Been Me

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:
Loading Video...
  • Fair and Square
  • CrackTheSky
  • Ping Pong The Animation
  • Walk The Moon
  • Work This Body

CrackTheSky has done some great stuff. I have a few of his vids in my opening post. Here's another one of his I like that hasn't been posted here (unfortunately not great resolution, there's a link to a slightly better-res version in the YouTube description).

Loading Video...

Video Title: "My Town"
Anime: Tekkonkinkreet
Musical Artist: Paper Route
Song: "Glass Heart Hymn"

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher said:

@facelessvixen said:

@atheistpreacher: *Google searches "Boku no Pico White Christmas"* I'm guessing the specific AMV that you're referring to doesn't have too much to do with Mariah Carey, though I'm sure that an HMV using the song by Bing Crosby exists on some corner off the internet at this point.

Actually, FWIW I just realized I was mixing up my milquetoast Christmas songs. D'oh. It wasn't "White Christmas," it was "Let It Snow." The video is "Antichristmas 2009."

And this is why I champion the AMV Hell style off editing. The more irreverent an AMV is, the more that I might care about it.

Thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Found this AMV recently and it's been constantly on my mind

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda going against my better judgement, but if by any slim chance any one here would be interested in seeing AMV Hell filtered though an obscure big titty anime:

No Caption Provided

It's age-gated on YouTube for however long that will last due to 20 copyright claims, but I have direct download MediaFire and Mega links for an uncensored version (seeing as how Ikkitousen is thoroughly within the ecchi genre) on DeviantArt, as well as links to parts 1 and 2 which were released in 2015 and 2017 respectivly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Been thinking about the king of AMVs recently, I never thought I'd come across a Urusei Yatsura music video that aired on MTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Started watching Haruhi recently and I just had to post this. Absolutely iconic AMV.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animemusicvideos.org is once again running their annual Viewer's Choice Awards. Voting for the semi-final round runs through the weekend, if anyone is interested. But I thought I'd post three videos from this year's contest that jumped out at me.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Different Light"
Video Creator: VideoBeats
Manga: Girls' Last Tour / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Musical Artist: Christian Löffler, ft. Menke
Song: "Lys"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Invisible"
Video Creator: NekoKitkat25hug
Anime: Modest Heroes: "Invisible"
Musical Artist: Zara Larsson
Song: "Invisible"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Aoi's Bassline"
Video Creator: Arcothy B3stEck
Anime: Her Blue Sky
Musical Artist: Davie504
Song: "Slapp"

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh my God, I can't believe animemusicvideos.org is still around and doing their yearly contest. I just checked for the heck of it and I can still log into my account there haha! I registered March 23rd, 2003! My account is about to become 19 years old, God that brings me back. Scrolling through AMV.org because there wasn't a YouTube and trying to guess what will be the best AMVs because it was about to take me anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes to download one video. Man this is legit a nostalgia trip.

I'll throw in the two AMVs that I can always remember. Quality is awful because they are so old, but man if they still aren't awesome.

Loading Video...
  • No clue what it is
  • No idea who made it
  • Inu Yasha
  • Joy Enriquez
  • How Can I Not Love You
Loading Video...

• Again not sure
  • Don't know this as well
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
  • Don't know, it's a DDR song I think though
  • Moonlight Shadow
franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By franzlska

@madpierrot: The first one (Inuyasha) seems to be listed on AMV org as "How Can I Not Love You!!!!", by Liljlo2 of "Inuyasha fans 4 Life!!!".

The second one (Vampire Hunter D) also seems to be on the site, listed just as "Moonlight Shadow" by Pyro Wolf of Cyber Moon Studios. The song used does appear in DDR, it's a cover of Moonlight Shadow by the artist Missing Heart. The original Moonlight Shadow was by Mike Oldfield (like, MGSV's "Nuclear" Mike Oldfield.) Bonus trivia: for those who, like me, have listened to a statistically outlying amount of nightcore, the version of Moonlight Shadow that tends to show up in nightcore compilations is a sped-up version of Groove Coverage's cover.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Lord Rae. Now that's a name I've not thought of in a long time. A LONG time.

They're the reason I know 8Stops7 and their one great song "Uninspired."

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FacelessVixen

...Oh, yeah. I do have an AMV.org account. Maybe I should update my profile since what I released back in October was kind of a big deal to me.

Aaaaand, the site is in an infinite loading loop while I was trying to add a new entry.

...Fuck.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is a great idea for a thread. It reminded me of the not-quite-related mashup of Disney Animation by Lindsay McCutcheon, Fan.tasia. The song featured is yet another mashup by Madeon called Pop Culture.

Loading Video...

It's a real jam. Definitely not anime, not in traditional AMV form either. But it has some really creative edits.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AtheistPreacher

Welp, AnimeMusicVideos.org is once again running their annual contest. I have dutifully worked my way through them all once again and voted in the first round. For me it seems like a stronger year than the last couple... or at least I found more stuff that spoke to me. I saved eighteen videos this time, but I'll limit myself to sharing these four. Enjoy.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Contemporary Dog"
Video Creator: Hikikomori
Musical Artist: Eurythmics
Song: "Sweet Dreams"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "UNDRGRND"
Video Creator: Amanystya & Shadox
Musical Artist: Topic & Bebe Rexha
Song: "Chain My Heart (FRDY Remix)"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Summer Youth"
Video Creator: Nekokitkat
Anime: Summer Ghost
Musical Artist: Daughter
Song: "Youth"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Attack on (Some) Titans - Part 1"
Video Creator: Under The Box Productions
Anime:Dinosaur War Izenborg
Musical Artist: The White Stripes
Song: "Seven Nation Army"

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AnimeMusicVideos.org is once again running their annual contest, and I have dutifully worked my way through all ~700 submitted videos and voted in the first round. Here are a few that I particularly liked.

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Run Makoto Run"
Video Creator: Qwaqa
Musical Artist: Apollo 440
Song: "Stop the Rock"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "Beauty’s Not Eternal"
Video Creator: Aruru-
Anime:Kaijuu no Kodomo (Children of the Sea)
Musical Artist: Lindsey Stirling
Song: "The Arena"

Loading Video...

Video Title: "The Apparition"
Video Creator: Blader
Musical Artist: Sleep Token
Song: "The Apparition"