AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AtheistPreacher

It's coming August 25th.

Is it possible for an upcoming release to feel both obvious and deeply strange? Armored Core used to be FromSoftware's most successful series by a lot, and yet hasn't had an entry in a decade after the Souls games took the world by storm. And I'm genuinely not sure how it will end up being received. So many modern FS fans have never touched an AC title or anything like one.

FWIW, Armored Core: Verdict Day was released in 2013, a year before Dark Souls 2. It was the fifteenth entry in the series. No one really cared. Since then, FS has released only two non-Souls-type games: a Japan-exclusive Monster Hunter spin-off title for the 3DS (2015), and a 2018 PSVR game that got very mixed reception (Déraciné). Armored Core 6 will be FS's first high-profile release since they hit it big that fundamentally isn't a Souls game.

Maybe AC6 will be a runaway success that will spawn as many sequels and imitators as the Souls titles. Or maybe the huge following that FS has cultivated on the strength of a very particular type of experience will largely pan it because it's just not what they're looking for out of FS. Those would be the extreme cases. Safe money says it'll end up somewhere in the middle. But I'm fascinated to see how it all shakes out.

EDIT: Not for nothin', currently the two top-rated comments on the YouTube trailer are:

This looks so fun I’ve never played armour core before

As a huge Armored Core VI fan since 5 minutes ago this means the world to me

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Based on the information that has come out, it sounds like they’re making it far more Soulslike. Probably not a surprise because that’s making them a kajillion dollars at the moment, but I would love to hear what classic Armored Core fans think once they play this game.

I’m most surprised how early this is coming out. I pegged it as an early 2024 release (which could still happen), but late August / early September is suddenly densely packed with notable releases. Here’s hoping it rivals the other recent From releases in quality.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m most surprised how early this is coming out. I pegged it as an early 2024 release (which could still happen)

I mean, they did announce it at TGA as a 2023 release. We all know how easily games can slip, but I tend to take them at their word unless I've got good reason not to.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

August 25 is awesome and wild. I definitely had my money on it coming out next year. Looking forward to it!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was surprised how much it looks like Armored Core.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Looks impressive. This might be the first Armored Core game I buy and enjoy playing. A lot more action it seems than the past games in the series, of course this is a trailer, so they are showing some of the best stuff.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This video was interesting:

Loading Video...

Didn't know VaatiVidya was also an Armored Core guy, but from watching this video he's clearly played the previous games.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet this will be the bestselling Armored Core game due to From's modern cred, but still won't be as big as their last few Soulseldenbornes.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A good-looking robot game so far.