Feedback for YouTube Quicklooks.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Jeff mentioned on the bombast he wanted feedback for the new style of edited quick look they post to YouTube, so post that here!

I think the editing is very well done and I understand why there doing this. But as I watch all my Giant Bomb Content on my TV via YouTube it kinda is a bummer for me personally. I could watch the longer one on my phone but I like watching it on my TV. I know I'm in the minority though. Ps5 doesn't even have an Internet browser (i used to watch all gb content on ps4 Internet browser) so that doesn't help.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get why they do it, and for the most part they are well edited. I just wish there was also an easier way to watch the full, un-edited versions of the QLs. I prefer to consume my GB content unfiltered, but right now I have no easy way to watch like that other than on the main site with my PC.

Unfortunately, the PS5 has no web browser, so the only option is the YouTube app, but that means my only option is to watch the edited version of the QL. I think it would be great if they could just post both. Screw the damn algorithm.

I'm sure there's some other solution with some other app, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time setting that up or subscribing to yet another niche service solely for that purpose.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Agree with the first 2 posters: it's a lot harder for me to get to the videos on the website, and I wish they would post both versions to YouTube.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I had no idea the PS5 had no internet browser - that seems like a pretty major oversight.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love them to post the uncut versions to Youtube for convenience, even if it was to a different channel, but they probably need all the views in the same place for the algorithm. The algorithm warps everything.

As for the edits themselves, they're fine but I prefer longer Quick Looks. Quick Looks tend to be something I put on in the background while I do other things or exercise, so I'm not really looking for abridged versions that are more efficient at delivering information. I watch them for the vibe and the comedy, not to really learn about the games.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The way I found out about this was when my laptop's internet wasn't working and I loaded up Youtube on my Switch to watch the latest Quick Look, so I echo the sentiments above. Quick Looks have always been a great way to see what actual gameplay is like, not just a highlight reel.

I guess my qualitative feedback regarding the editing is that I'd like a conscious effort to maintain the balance between showing off the game and retaining the entertainment value of the commentary by keeping funny jokes, etc. I'm sure Top Men are on it, but I just wanted to expose it as a priority.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love the edited style, it has me watching new Quick Looks again. I feel like this is long overdue as the audience gets older (not everyone works from home, remember). And new people will surely come in and stick around when a video has less downtime.

I would love them to post the uncut versions to Youtube for convenience, even if it was to a different channel, but they probably need all the views in the same place for the algorithm. The algorithm warps everything.

This seems like a good solution. Plenty of channels have secondary channels, such as Easy Allies Plays, for more long-form video.

maian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched a couple of the edited videos and really like them; they're well-paced, give a good sense of the games being showcased, and retain a lot of the best/funniest moments of the longer form ones. That said, I do prefer the uncut versions because I enjoy the more laidback rhythm that they tend to have, and I feel like I get a fuller sense of what the featured game is like than from a more condensed version.

I totally understand why they would want to highlight the shorter videos on YouTube, and I tend to watch most GB stuff using an app on my Apple TV so the change hasn't impacted me much at all, but I agree that it would be good to make it easier for people who usually watch Quick Looks on YouTube to watch the full versions.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Friendly reminder:

If you have any Xbox you can download Giant Bomb app on it (thanks to the duder Spencer) and watch everything on it. It works perfectly. I'm premium but i believe you can use it without premium for uncut Quick Looks :)

RPJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As other posters have said: completely understand why they are handling it this way but the quick look has always been about unbroken gameplay and introducing edits inherently starts to erode the appeal. I use youtube for video almost by default so it's a bummer to have to nav to the site to see the full thing.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

@humanity: Sony didn't add it cause they said nobody used it.

@donutello: Also it has an Internet browser.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My worry with edited QLs is that it might unintentionally lead to more meandering full QLs by staff because the boring and unnecessary parts will be taken out anyway later. If a more tight QL is the objective, maybe just try to do that through stricter execution of what you planned to convey about the game.

Honestly, Best of GB took care of a lot of these problems regarding YouTube pandering, but that's gone now.