Giant Bomb Premium Upgrade page has a dangling asterisk.

Avatar image for deactivated-642c86270ff9b
deactivated-642c86270ff9b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

On upgrade page, under the heading "Ad-Free Experience", is the text

No banner ads, no video prerolls, no podcast advertisements*

But there is no follow-up text that explains what the asterisk means. It has been this way since at least November 17, 2021, over a year ago, when I first pointed this out and was told that it was just a mistake.

Given that many podcasts do still show ads to premium members, the upgrade page is, in its current state, literal false advertising.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@zeddy_ryan: Hey, apologies, that page is due for a total redesign and we're going to try to get to it early in 2023.

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why *do* podcasts still show ads to premium members? does that not defeat the point?

Rakete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why *do* podcasts still show ads to premium members? does that not defeat the point?

The silence speaks volumes. I paid my premium access with this as a promised feature. When I asked for a refund I was told my payment was too old. This is just ridiculous

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t ever get ads on premium podcasts. Are you sure you’re subscribed to the premium feed?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rorie

@jstaunton: @rakete: @permanentsigh:This is what I'm curious about as well. Are you referring to the oldest Bombcasts on the Bombcast feed? I will try to fix those this month, but if there's any other area you're seeing them in please let me know and I can look into it. None of the Premium feeds should have ads except for the very old Bombcasts and that is just due to a bug that I'll try to fix. They can't be removed from the livestream since that's done live.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am trying to work out how I fixed a few of these shows last year but I might need some help testing. I have tried to "fix" the 12-20-11 and 11-22-11 shows in the same manner that I recall fixing a few of the early 2012 shows but it's been a while since I tried to do it and I'm not super familiar with podcast publishing. If you can check those and see if you can get an ad-free version of those files, let me know and I'll try to go back and get the rest of the older bombcasts done soon.

tontogoldstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my experience I get an ad if I click the Download option on an old bombcast, but no ad with the podcast embedded on the page. Here for example: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/giant-bombcast-11-16-2010/2970-17468/free-podcast

Download link gives me an ad:

https://chrt.fm/track/B7AB5D/pdst.fm/e/dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/traffic.omny.fm/d/clips/9b7dacdf-a925-4f95-84dc-ac46003451ff/5bf5695f-2207-42ff-a434-acbb016ebe2e/d725b75d-5c4e-4e9b-a98e-acbc000535a9/audio.mp3?utm_source=Podcast&in_playlist=6a9d6276-8d0b-4e12-9247-acbb016ebe38

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tontogoldstein: Can you check this one to see if the same behavior is there?

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/11-22-2011/2970-17400

I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm doing is actually solving the problem but I'm not sure where the ads are supposed to be. If the older bombcasts are getting pre-roll ads then I think what I'm doing is fixing the problem but I want to be sure before I take a few hours and hit all the rest of these.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI I am back to the mid 2010s Bombcasts with this process. It's a slow process and I'm sure there'll be some mistakes but hopefully I'll get all of these done sometime this week.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thank you for your work and dedication, Rorie.