• 131 results
dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 dtoast  Staff

@alpha_bit: Yeah it's a known issue and a ticket has been logged. I'm watching it closely and making sure the engineers are working on it. I'll give them another ping.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@dtoast: I imagine the site issues discord channel would also like some acknowledgement that this is being looked into. So far the only person who's talked about it there is Rorie, and he doesn't even work here now.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

When I mute/unmute the video or even adjust volume, it also pauses/unpauses. Which is pretty annoying considering the videos start paused.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

When I mute/unmute the video or even adjust volume, it also pauses/unpauses. Which is pretty annoying considering the videos start paused.

I was not able to replicate this issue. Which browser are you using and on what operating system or device?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Chrome, windows 10. Someone on page 2 had same issue.

user1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schrodngrsfalco: same here on chrome iPad. Also if I close full screen I can’t full screen again.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ninnyjams

I just straight-up cannot play any videos on Giant Bomb. I don't know why. The player loads but nothing happens when I click it (no acknowledgement that I'm even trying to play it)

I tend to have strict browser settings that disable autoplay and things like that, but I have all of that, including my adblocker and script blocker, disabled for Giant Bomb. It's like it doesn't even recognize there's a video there outside of the big Play icon and the video thumb.

Using most recent version of Firefox on Windows, happens on premium and non-premium videos. Can use the download function to watch videos fine but it's not ideal. The enthusiast app also works on my Smart TV but I've been needing to watch on PC lately. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Opening GB on Edge has videos playing fine. But I mean, who wants that?

Antipode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Antipode

@ninnyjams: Have you tried enabling Performance Cookies? It's in the popup from the "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link at the bottom of any page. It sounds strange, but for whatever reason the video player doesn't work properly for many of us without that cookie.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stick, so I have to hit it again every day or so. But enabling that and reloading the page makes the videos work again for me.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@antipode said:

@ninnyjams: Have you tried enabling Performance Cookies? It's in the popup from the "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link at the bottom of any page. It sounds strange, but for whatever reason the video player doesn't work properly for many of us without that cookie.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stick, so I have to hit it again every day or so. But enabling that and reloading the page makes the videos work again for me.

We shouldn't have to do such arcane work arounds though.

Giant Bomb is a video website, and the videos don't work. How has this been allowed to go on for so long?

Sandwich_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didn't want to start a new thread, and this seemed to be the most relevant one to post about this in: What happened to 6/18/23 UPF? i know it doesn't get posted on the site right away but its not even on their twitch videos.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandwich_jones: I'm guessing you meant yesterday's UPF (the date you listed is tomorrow's date). This occasionally happens when anyone who isn't Jan streams, and since Grubb is the one who hosted it, I'd guess it will just have to wait to be archived properly. In the meantime, here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/live/D0mQFil8LVA?feature=share

Sandwich_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^thanks dude thats it

Multi-Platypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninnyjams: I've been having the same problem since April. I've tried enabling Performance Cookies and all that and none of it works. I cancelled my Premium subscription for the first time in 6 years because of it.

lebowski101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By lebowski101

@multi-platypus I cancelled mine too (and started back in 2011). The GB website was always the first on my bookmarks. I thought GB would have to shut down to stop me subscribing. The website still being broken for me since the Fandom switch in April, meant there was little reason to keep the sub up.

Everything is posted to YouTube now and the player there works. Not having all the archive content there does sting a little... but I can't watch that on the website video player anyway :D.

@zombiepie and @dtoast have been pushing this as much as they can. You can always try posting the issue to the Site-Tech-Issues Discord channel.

It sucks a little, but it's just where GB is pivoting too now to keep going. I ended up getting YouTube Premium instead. It's pretty cool. all the videos sync across and if you lock your phone, it only uses audio data.

mngoldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching older GB content on the old player and man I miss it.

Fill to browser is amazing feature and I wish every video player gave me that option.
I feel like the auto mute thing was made just slapped on from an auto-play player. Why would I want muted, I literally clicked into the video.
The most annoying thing is the pause when I click on anything. Turn the volume up, paused. Go full screen (miss you fill to browser), paused. Unmute because I have to in every video, paused.

I use to tell new people don't worry the GB video player is great. Now its just an ad to use youtube instead.

mngoldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your a premium member I will say the best solution to the video player problems is to just download the videos. You get back all the features you want. The video starts with audio. Clicking places like the volume doesn't automatically pause the video. The video fills the window or you can go full screen. So my suggestion is to just download the videos

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Are there any updates to this?

I've been working my way through old (2010 currently) GB videos and most of them are still using the crappy player that doesn't save my progress through long videos, resulting me in having to take a picture with my phone on where in the video I am when I need to leave. Not ideal, obviously.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enfo said:

Are there any updates to this?

I've been working my way through old (2010 currently) GB videos and most of them are still using the crappy player that doesn't save my progress through long videos, resulting me in having to take a picture with my phone on where in the video I am when I need to leave. Not ideal, obviously.

Pinging @dtoast. Most of these issues are known, but filing another ticket with a higher tier is always helpful. Which browser are you using by the way?

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By enfo

Chrome.

Some videos use the old player which save my progress, like whiskey media happy hours, and some use the youtube player, but it's inconsistent on which videos use which player. I'd prefer youtube for everything, but I suppose not every video was uploaded there.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 dtoast  Staff

Thanks. As Zombie said, it does genuinely help and the process is a lot smoother now.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a fix being worked on for the “video not in a valid format” error? Even after going through the step to enable cookies a ton of videos still just don’t work at all.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swordstruck: can you provide a link to videos on-site where that is happening?

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: This is one just as an example: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/garage-talk-9/2970-21173

I get "This video has an invalid format" in any browser I try (Chrome, Firefox, Safari). Cookies enabled, disabled, incognito, signed in, etc.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: This is one just as an example: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/garage-talk-9/2970-21173

I get "This video has an invalid format" in any browser I try (Chrome, Firefox, Safari). Cookies enabled, disabled, incognito, signed in, etc.

I will pose it to @dtoast if it would be better to make a new thread for this problem, wherein users can report other videos, but for now let's see if we can get this ticketed.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 dtoast  Staff
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Weirdly enough I tried testing that last list of videos out and they seem to be working fine for me on Safari.

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By enfo

Any more updates on this? (#2)

Videos still aren't saving any positions except some premium videos like old UPFs and happy hours. Still currently going through the 2010 catalogue.

I don't really watch the new stuff, I'm just staying subscribed to watch the back catalogue. Maybe the new videos are using a better player?

Still on Chrome.

Edit: I'm curious if this is only affecting me or it's occurring for other folks too. I'm probably the only one watching older content these days, but I'm wondering if it's the player or just my setup.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enfo said:

Any more updates on this? (#2)

Videos still aren't saving any positions except some premium videos like old UPFs and happy hours. Still currently going through the 2010 catalogue.

I don't really watch the new stuff, I'm just staying subscribed to watch the back catalogue. Maybe the new videos are using a better player?

Still on Chrome.

Edit: I'm curious if this is only affecting me or it's occurring for other folks too. I'm probably the only one watching older content these days, but I'm wondering if it's the player or just my setup.

It's worth pinging @dtoast as this has been an issue where things are fine one day and then the next day they take a step backward.

Have things improved since you posted this comment?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mentioned it in one of the other threads but yeah something has regressed with the video player in the last couple months. It went from working fine for me on both Safari and Firefox to being back at showing a black screen with sound on both. I've tried doing the cookie thing and it doesn't work. The only way it works is if I wipe out my cache for the site and sign back in. Then it will work for one video before breaking again.

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By enfo

@ben_h: @zombiepie:Nope. It's been this way for maybe 6 months? Only way I can get it to save is if the video I'm currently playing is using the classic player or using youtube.

Edit: Looks like my first post about the broken player was in February of last year, so I guess it's more like almost a full year of this issue.

@ben_h I'm assuming you mean the setting cookie preferences to use functional cookies only? That what I set a few months ago when no video was loading for me. That fixed that specific issue.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Almost 12 months of a broken video player on a video website

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enfo said:

@ben_h: @zombiepie:Nope. It's been this way for maybe 6 months? Only way I can get it to save is if the video I'm currently playing is using the classic player or using youtube.

@ben_h I'm assuming you mean the setting cookie preferences to use functional cookies only? That what I set a few months ago when no video was loading for me. That fixed that specific issue.

Yeah I'm not sure. For me it stopped working for several months last year, then started working again suddenly after it was mentioned a few changes went through. Then in November it stopped working and none of the usual tricks to get it working again have worked.

The most bizarre thing is how inconsistent the issues are. Some people have no issues, other people using the same OS and browser can't get videos to work at all.

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried out the new player. It's fine, I guess. The rest of the posters here seem to have gripes with it, but they've probably been using the site more than I have recently... The thing that is bugging me at the moment, is that I can't switch back to the Youtube player. I just wanted to test out the new player, not be stuck with it. I deleted my cache and cookies and all that. Still nothing.

thebluefunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's absolutely absurd that this issue has gone a year without being fixed. And maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard any of the staff address this at all. Unreal.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC, I think they mentioned it in one of of the discord chats, they share engineers with Fandom and I don't think its a huge priority for them/Fandom.

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By enfo
@thebluefunk said:

It's absolutely absurd that this issue has gone a year without being fixed. And maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard any of the staff address this at all. Unreal.

Unfortunately, I agree with this. Along with other replies in this thread.

This issue is a serious issue for me, and the fact that it's been largely ignored for this long, doesn't make me feel good for the future.

Along with the podcast feed missing full years of the bombcast. I have no idea what's going on with this site these days.

If I didn't want to keep access to the video archive, I would have unsubscribed after Jeff was "let go"

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 dtoast  Staff

I messaged here, on the GB discord, and replied directly to any support tickets. I do have meetings where I'm constantly bringing up the video issues. it was planning on being done in the last quarter but the bandwidth didn't allow it. I'm hoping to hear more about it at the next meeting.

NikyuNingen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are fucking dire when a website about video content can't even fix their video playback issues for over 10 months.

enfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well now I'm getting the bug where videos are playing audio but the video is just a blank screen. My cookies are still set correctly.

Seriously what is going on with this website?