Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Better car game movie? (14 votes)

Need For Speed 57%
Gran Turismo 43%

Pretty simple: when all is said and done, which will be the better vroom-vroom game movie? GT is such a thin-arsed concept to turn into a movie film, but I would've said the same thing about Need For Speed movie. But that thing was a 'cinematic masterpiece tour-de-force', so surely GT will be amazing too, right? Right?

• 
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I would think the Need for Speed would be an obvious "Smokey & The Bandit" story or at the very least a "Fast & Furious" knockoff. A Gran Turismo movie would work best as a Ford v Ferrari (2019), or possibly like teh Steve McQueen movie Le Mans (1971)

Psygnosis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would think the Need for Speed would be an obvious "Smokey & The Bandit" story or at the very least a "Fast & Furious" knockoff. A Gran Turismo movie would work best as a Ford v Ferrari (2019), or possibly like teh Steve McQueen movie Le Mans (1971)

The Need for Speed movie WAS a The Fast and the Furious knock off. Considering how terrible it was, it wouldn't be hard to imagine whatever the proposed GT movie ends up being better than it.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gtxforza

Need For Speed & Gran Turismo are both different types of racing games so it's not comparable at all.

So I voted for Gran Turismo because I much prefer circuit racing to street racing.

Edit: For Need For Speed Shift series, it appears to take the liking of Codemasters' GRID series and Thunderbolt (Jackie Chan movie).

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gtxforza

Meanwhile 2010's era of Fast & Furious movies, the action scenes are more similar to Spy Hunter: Nowhere To Run in my opinion.

Also, there is an anime series called Girls und Panzer, which has similarities with Fast & Furious in terms of vehicular action.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need For Speed wasn't a bad movie.

I never watched the live action Initial D movie but has anyone here seen it?

cmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think movies can't be compared unless they have almost the same concepts and storyline. For example, Need For Speed is more on street abd drag racing while Gran Turismo is about professional racing competition.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If anyone is familiar with the F1 series on Netflix (in my case, only to the extent of how Donut Media has presented it), I can see the Gran Turismo movie being similar to that where the vibe of the Gran Turismo games are amplified to where it's more about the drivers and less about the racing.

In any case, I'll abstain from voting because the only car movies I've watched were the Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000), The Italian Job (2003), and The Fast and the Furious. And, the Need for Speed movie strikes me as being the boring kind of bad, as opposed to the kind of bad movie the wraps around to being good in terms of being either fascinating or legitimately entertaining for one reason or another, like The Room.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gtxforza

@chamurai: I've watched the Initial D live-action film (Starring Jay Chou) nearly 17 years ago, to me, it's an okay movie but I didn't like it as much as the anime because lack of Eurobeat plus the characters weren't as good as their manga/anime counterpart in terms of writing.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chamurai

@gtxforza: Thank you for the follow up. After posting I remembered that Initial D was a manga/anime first and a video games series after so I guess it didn't really fit the criteria of the original post. But I spent SO much time and money playing Initial D at the arcades it feels like a video game first sometimes for me.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't watch the NFS movie for some reason.

Avatar image for honkifyoureglad
honkifyoureglad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would we know if Gran Turismo is better when it's not even in pre-production?

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@honkifyoureglad: Just more as amusing speculation than anything, given the super-thin premise for a movie plot it would be. The concept of a Tetris or Asteroids movie has more potential depth as a movie plot than Gran Turismo appears to have.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I don't get it. It's a fictional car movie, there's nothing about it that NEEDS a "videogame tie-in." Unless they went full Razor Callahan, which they didn't, the whole thing just seems like people with too much money moving their money around a game board.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redline

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gran Turismo should be a documentary, really.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@cmaki said:

I think movies can't be compared unless they have almost the same concepts and storyline. For example, Need For Speed is more on street abd drag racing while Gran Turismo is about professional racing competition.

Those concepts and storylines seem relatively different to each other to me.