Do you hate well recieved games?

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you hate well recieved games? (76 votes)

Yes 13%
No 71%
None of the above 16%

I sometimes see a well received game and think, another to the backlog. Other times i think ehh it can't be that good. Overall its a bunch of negativity that's unnecessary for something that is apparently well...well received...

TLWR:

So why do we feel that way? Does anyone else feel that way. Is this the portion of 1/10s on most well liked games that legitimately just don't like the game for being well...there.

Who just hates good games because they're good, and they don't wanna play them for whatever reason. Sounds stupid but so many people avoid good games for...reasons.

• 
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

Aside from a small handful of people that just love being contrarian, I don't think it's common for people to hate all good/popular/well-reviewed games. Even when people get distressed about not having enough time to play everything that they want, I can't recall ever seeing that situation lead to someone actually hating good games for simply existing.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To me, everyone has the choice to play whichever game they want to.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i like/dislike things based on themselves not what how many other ppl think of it

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

No, but I do think the discourse around certain well-received games can reach such an annoying fever pitch that it turns me off from wanting to play the game. I'm sure that The Last of Us 2 is well-designed and is highly polished, a true exemplar of AAA game design. I don't have any desire to ever play it; I got everything I needed from that game series with the first game.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Also no for me. The worst that can happen, is if I play a game that has highly praised, only for me not to like it. And the worst feeling I would get is disappointment, not hatred. Because usually I can a still see why the game is a big hit with so many other people. Its just not for me, and that's the disappointing part.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in the abstract i don't inherently dislike games that get heaps of praise. i frequently find myself on both sides of that fence (loving critically acclaimed games, while being fairly ho-hum on others).

if i'm being utterly honest, however- i'll totally cop to getting a chip on my shoulder relative to the amount of hyperbole being brandished with reckless abandon. this also isn't limited to games for me- same goes for critically praised albums, movies, tv, etc. what can i say- i love that you think a thing is perfect, but i have my doubts...

...which is to say i fully recognize that has more to do with my psyche than perhaps the wider world- but at times it really does get under my skin the way -specificallyin games, pros and fans alike- feel the compulsion to assess these subjective works in a competitive framework and then declare a winner. you really don't find this as much in other pop culture media- no self-respecting critic or fan will declare a particular album 'the standard for all heavy metal songwriting' or describe one director's way of shooting action 'the best.' but in games it can sometimes feel like patrons pick a specific game to decide what a genre or experience IS, and therefore everything that came before or after must measure against that platonic IDEAL GAME. and that drives me up a wall, because it can sometimes feel like a denial that all of this is like...just your opinion anyway, man.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Largely no but there is one exception. I went through the metacritic top 100 and I am always taken aback by how many 3D Zeldas feature.

Breath of the Wild aside, I don't quite get it. There is a weird premium to that series that rubs off on all of them.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to expand the question a bit by saying at this point i'm old and jaded and i'm often very suspicious of the initial positive reactions a game might receive, a pre rendered or "in-engine" or otherwise scripted/guided trailer feels like a waste of time because it's never the experience i get when i'm playing, i find myself disagreeing with critics more than ever before and siding with user reviews from people who are also jaded like me, critics seem to still have an optimism or rose tinted perspective that leaves me confused.

I don't "hate" well received games... unless they're Destiny, but i'm often confused by their reception, and with all the games as a service and other methods of grifting the industry has adopted my skepticism is at an all time high, i count in seconds how long before a game announcement disappoints in some way.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 24

Just feels like a waste of time after playing a well received game that I personally loathed.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Yup

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't automatically hate well received games, but I probably dislike well received games that doesn't appeal to me more than I dislike a game that doesn't appeal to me that others also doesn't like. Partially because when a lot of people love a game you really don't care for and even can't even 'objectively' see what people are talking about, it kind of gives you that Zoolander feeling of taking crazy pills. I still remember people talking about Shadow of Mordor being so beautiful and all I could see were endless brown boring generic landscapes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate them though. I can just avoid them.

palumanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, but I get tired of them much faster)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I refuse to engage in the cycle of "everybody is watching breaking bad/game of thrones/squid game" and that has to come from the same place as your thing with games. On some level it's contrarianism.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Broshmosh

I don't hate them by default, but I definitely avoid them until the hype dies down and real opinions aren't getting shouted down.