Games which got shafted for GOTY due to release date

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now that Giant Bomb has moved their GOTY discussions to January, it not only means they have more time to play games during the holidays, but also that they can touch on some games releasing in December, which is generally a graveyard spot for game releases. Of course it is not the fault of Giant Bomb or other gaming websites that the games get released during or right before their GOTY deliberations, but it does mean that some games get stuck in a limbo, where they don't get talked about in the year they were released and aren't eligible for GOTY the following year.

The main examples I can think of are Let it Die (Suda 51 game featuring Uncle Death, I'm pretty sure only Jeff G. played it) which released on December 3rd and Omori, which released last year on December 25th (My personal GOTY, but no mention by Giant Bomb yet). Fire Pro Wrestling was also one of Alex's personal favourites in 2018 but wasn't eligible due to its early access nature (before getting released in December anyways).

Do you have more examples of good games with a really unfortunate release date? Do you still hold grudges towards gaming media for not giving your darling its due? Is the Gunk going to be the underappreciated gem of 2021?

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Mutant Year Zero is one that really sticks out to me - I LOVED that game, but it was completely forgotten by the next GOTY cycle hit, which was a real shame. That's the biggest one that sticks out for me.

The Gunk isn't going to be that 'underappreciated gem', as, despite enjoying it quite a lot, I just don't think it is of the calibre to be that kind of game...