Looking for games my mom might like!

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My moms not a be game enthusiast, but she dose enjoy them if she gives them a chance and she spends a lot of time playing Facebook games so i thought being that she needs a new laptop i would get her a cheaper gaming one for Christmas and at worst its overkill for what she dose, plus i just cant bring myself to spend 400 bucks on a junk laptop when spending a bit more now means it will last her a long ass time. Anyways its a dell with a 1060 and a i5 so it will be good for about anything she might be into. Im thinking about trying to eventually get her into bigger games as she has a lot of free time and would enjoy it but for now leaning more towards things that arent in first person or real demanding. She likes puzzle games and words games, but i got a spare dualshock 4 im gonna give her and try to get her to learn, so anything less twitch orientated might be ok. Also is there anything F2P that might be good? Turn based games might be a real good fit too. Thanks for your help!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I'm assuming you meant nothing first person since it will be difficult to control, but puzzle games in first person are usually fine when they don't rely on thumb skill.

The Talos Principle is pretty good. Papers, Please might be good too. Perhaps Jazzpunk is a fun introduction to first person perspective, it doesn't require a lot of skill from what I remember.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MattGiersoni

Puzzle Agent 1 & 2 are fun puzzle point and click games with a good story and art. It has lots of different types of puzzles, match pictures, crosswords, lots of stuff. Maybe, Broken Age? It's more of a traditional point and click but still fun. Any game from the Scribblenauts series might be fun too. You encounter NPCs that have a problem a need an item to help solve it or make them happy. You have to think of something and type it. For example a kitten is stuck in a tree and there's a firefighter. You type in "ladder" give to them and they rescue the kitten. There are multiple solutions and you can do simple ones like that or more creative and complex.

bloogsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Witness should be a great match of first person and puzzling

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sims, the number 1 choice for most non gamer women, they love that shit.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can recommend Regency Solitaire. I recently started playing it mostly because I can't handle more than some light puzzle solving at the moment. I was surprised at how addicting it is.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@onarum said:

If someone isn't a gamer they won't like playing a game. She is a gamer.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

7 comments in, not a single joke after that title, that is a mature audience.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she's open to turn-based strategy games, I'd suggest Civilization V.

The Room 1 & 2, Talos Principle, and Portal 1 & 2 are great puzzle games. So are Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go, though they probably control best on phones/tablets.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
@onarum said:

If someone isn't a gamer they won't like playing a game. She is a gamer.

... you know perfectly well what I mean.

Fine, for any non super game enthusiast women it's the number 1 choice; there, happy?

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a mum and a gamer, I recommend puzzle and tower defence games. No 1st person, she can jump in and out when she wants, there’s replay ability (and mums love value for money).

Also story driven games. Life is strange, Contradiction etc are good if she doesn’t want to “run and gun”.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Having just fallen deep down that Stardew Valley hole myself (again), I can say with some confidence that that game is still real good.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, good recommendations here, gonna grab a few of these during the winter steam sale when it starts for her. I figure stardew valley for sure will be great and thats a long game, also might try Civ, FTL, and Defense Grid.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any of the Amanita Design adventure games, Braid, Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year Edition, Desktop Dungeons, Her Story, Proteus, World of Goo. Most of those games are 2d, turn based, puzzle games and/or games she can play at her own pace and pick up at any time.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My mum loves Bejeweled and Sudoku, so maybe something like that on PC? Maybe also Peggle and Plants vs. Zombies?

If you want something more involved, maybe Civ V or VI? Puzzle Agent games are a good suggestion. Love those. Definitely the Amanita Design games too.

StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty is free if she wants to mess around in an RTS. Play some easy skirmishes amassing resources and throwing hordes of units at enemies, just to get the hang of it.

Oprahtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my mom was crazy about the first 3 resident evil games. the remake of RE1 on steam has a MUCH better control option im sure your mom would be able to figure, also a good introduction into controlling characters in a 3d space. not just assuming our moms are the same people but i think the puzzles and horror elements mixed with the exploration and discovery of this one big neat mansion really appealed to my mother. also of course, any one of the 87 Nancy Drew or Sherlock Holmes games will do the trick with any mom.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Peggle, Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, Her Story, Contradiction, The Bunker, Cook Serve Delicious, Little Inferno, Obduction, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Novelist, Jazzpunk, Sid Meier's Pirates, Port Royale 3,Theme Hospital, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper 2, Prison Architect, Mini Metro, Papers Please, Book Of Unwritten Tales 1&2 , Stardew Valley, Undertale, SnakeBird, Gemini Rue, Rock of Ages 1 & 2, XCOM : Enemy Unknown, Grim Fandango , Day Of The Tentacle, Gabriel Knight, Botanicula, Back To Bed, Road Not Taken, Scribblenauts, Any Telltale games. Maybe LA Noire? Maybe a Final Fantasy to get lost in for hours?

Otherwise, Dota 2.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

You should probably just get her playing Hidden my game by Mom 1 as 2.

JReyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contradiction: Spot the Liar

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Witness, Fez, Final Fantasy IX, Pyre, and Stardew Valley are all games I've seen non-gamers get pretty into. Hope that helps.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is just anecdotal, and perhaps the 3D camera control could be an issue. But my mom used to loooove collectathon platformers like Crash, Ratchet, Spyro, Jak etc. They were generally pretty nice about give time to line up jumps even with some camera flailing for a while, fun art and music and a lot of solid short term goals to focus on. She never really played Mario games, but I bet she would have loved them.

Sadly a lot of games like this aren't very prevalent on PC. So maybe there isn't much to pick from for this thread specifically. But I like to throw this out as general mom-game advice.

firsttimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a Chess game? Keeps the mind going

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Minecraft?.

Lego Batman 3

Missjac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Missjac

My mum always liked crash bandicoot.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dafdiego777

If you want to set her up with an emulator - my mom loved Tetris Attack (the first Panel de Pon game to be brought to America).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend Gone Home or What Remains Of Edith Finch to start since that is actually a decent laptop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

My mother likes those "find the item" style of puzzle games and showed some interest in Brain Age at one point in time.

Going off of that perhaps Lucas and Sierra adventure games or games of those style.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Are those Tell Tale Walking Dead games still purchasable? Those are gameplay light and story heavy, that might appeal to her.
I will always recommend all the WadjetEye published games for point and click games.

cmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest trying to play Candy Crush. This game is free to download. It's also my mother's favorite game.

Avatar image for robertrocks2342
robertrocks2342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By robertrocks2342

Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 are fun riddle point and snap https://apkshines.com/ with a decent story and workmanship. It has loads of various kinds of riddles, match pictures,, bunches of stuff. Perhaps, Broken Age? It's to a greater degree a customary point and snap yet at the same time fun. Any game from the Scribblenauts series may be fun as well. You experience NPCs that have an issue a need a thing to assist with settling it or satisfy them. You need to consider something and type it. For instance a cat is trapped in a tree and there's a fireman. You type in "stepping stool" provide for them and they salvage the little cat. There are different arrangements and you can do straightforward ones like that or more imaginative and complex.