The GB Album Club Cycle 3 Theme Is... "Artist You Discovered In a Video Game Soundtrack"

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UncleJam23

Giant Bomb is a website about video games. The Unofficial GB Album Club is about listening to albums. "What if," we said word for word in our Discord, "we combined these two concepts and we pick albums from artists we discovered in video game soundtracks???" And thus, the theme for cycle 3 was born: Pick an artist you discovered from a video game soundtrack and choose one of their albums. Any of their albums. Doesn't even have to include the song from said soundtrack!

This may sound like a somewhat limiting theme. But consider GTA and open world games in general (I might be picking something from BELOVED video game True Crime: Streets of NY as that game's soundtrack is outstanding), Tony Hawk, racing soundtracks, sports game soundtracks, Hotline Miami and the general flood of synth artists that came from other games wanting to sound like Hotline Miami (this is not a dig!), and plenty of other things I couldn't think of.

If you want to submit an album for the cycle, go to our Discord and fill out the submission form! Looking forward to this one.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Just curious would this be non video game composers that have tunes in video games. Or are you looking for video game composers like the goat Darren Korb?

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cyrusraven: I think either works, but we aren't looking for video game soundtracks. So said video game composers would have to have an album of their original works submitted. I'm not sure where something like The Black Mages would stand.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By PeezMachine

I would expect to see a lot of Tales From the Borderlands alumni on this list.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I've got one real obvious choice.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peezmachine: Haven't played that but I just looked at the soundtrack, and yeah, there's a lot of good shit on there.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Assuming that Guitar Hero and Rock Band don’t count, I think the NHL games introduced me to several artists whose albums I enjoyed. However, I have to go with Faunts, who did the ending credits themes in both Mass Effect 1 and 3.

I don’t use Discord much so let me know if someone answers “Zwan from Hi-Fi Rush”.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Rock Band/Guitar Hero came up in the Discord and we're allowing it. It's about the artist you discovered, not where you discovered them.

Also there are one or two people who are in the Discord but don't chime in much, so you're more than welcome to join and submit anyway. (Plus as of writing this, I'm the only one who's submitted so far, but mostly because a lot of people are juggling their options/being thorough. And the only reason that I submitted is because I was having a mental tug-of-war between three options myself and I was worried about overthinking it.)

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would expect to see a lot of Tales From the Borderlands alumni on this list.

Hadn't thought about that. Jungle would have been a good one for the list for me.