XenturiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 19

Edited By XenturiK
No Caption Provided

This was the year I felt like even side or ancillary characters in TV got there day in the sun. I loved that. It put me in a great place where I was rooting equally for everyone who popped on screen.

My Top Ten TV Shows of 2021

10. Only Murders in the Building (Hulu)

Earnest, Clever, Silly

Legends, Steve Martin and Martin Short bust out their iconic mastery of humor in this show. This is a delightful comedy that dives headfirst into parodying podcast obsessed culture. Specifically, those True Crime Murder podcasts that we love to listen to. Worth noting, I am officially a Selana Gomez fan now, she is spectacular in this.

9. Hacks (HBO Max)

Snappy, Charming, Magnetic

Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder destroy this really entertaining “unlikely duo” show. Hannah is an un-hirable writer who gets sent to create new material for a legendary comedian who needs to freshen up her show or face falling into obscurity. Obviously, the seasoned comedian doesn't think she needs any help, and the younger comedian is only there because she has no choice. It’s wonderful watching these two clashing personalities come together over time. The Chemistry these two have is wonderful. I was also moved by the striking commentary of misogyny in standup comedy.

8. Ducktales Season 3 (Disney Plus)

Heartfelt, Charming, Well Written

If you told me this show would have me welling up by its finale, I would've given you a nice snort and a guffaw, then rode off on my Pegasus. I don't know why I have a Pegasus in this scenario but I’m gonna go with it. This is simply a pure unadulterated feel-good time wrapped in an episodic medium. They do a great job making all the characters lovable and individual, which challenges you to try and root for just one at a time. It’s a real special show.

7. Dave Season 2 (Hulu)

Sharp, Immature, Subversive

Dave is a fantastic look into the artist's mind. The insecurities, the trials, the sacrifices, the doubt; it honestly was at times, surreal watching this. The second season really ramps up as a stylized examination on fame and the crushing pressure of expectation. Did I mention the whole series is funny as fuck? Like in a good, weird way. It balances super intellectual deconstructions of the music industry, while in the same breath, dropping slews of dick jokes. It’s off putting and intentional, which is exactly Lil Dicky’s brand (smart yet immature yet smart). Special shout out to a breakout performance by Gata, aka the heart of this show. His arc in this series is so special and moving, worth watching just for that guy.

6. The Witcher Season 2 (Netlfix)

Bloody, Familial, Satisfying

It does a wonderful job filling out the history of this dark unforgiving world. Politics get played, Powers get unlocked, and the Witcher…well goes full dad on us. It delivers on two fronts: Being faithful to the source material that I love, while at the same time forging its own path to keep me on my toes. Freya Allen as Ciri really shines in this latest edition to the Witcher Saga. Great cliffhanger too.

5. Sex Education Season 3 (Netflix)

Enlightening, Uncomfortable, Enriching

This series continues to outdo itself. In season three they found a way for me to connect and care about characters that were merely ancillary in previous seasons. I felt the plights from so many in this cast, that I just wanted to personally give them everything they want in this world. Also, the way that this series deals with big themes like sexuality, trans rights, disability positivity, sexual assault, makes me wish everyone would watch this, so we could all learn how to be better people to each other.

4. WandaVision (Disney Plus)

Risky, Perplexing, Delightful

I was delighted at how quietly disturbing this show was. It somehow managed to make you feel safe by playing to your familiarity with classic television, while layering this unnerving current beneath it all. It also introduced us to one of the best new villains to the MCU. I admire the trust they put in the creatives to see this wacky, yet poignant idea to fruition.

3. Succession Season 3 (HBO Max)

Herculean, Hilarious, Shocking

Sheer mastery of its artform. Rarely does a show fire so powerfully on all cylinders, whether it's writing, acting, directing, cinematography, score, they are all cooking here at one of the highest levels seen on tv.

2. Arcane (Netflix)

Breathtaking, Visionary, Electric

Simply floored. Arcane established an entirely new, vibrant world for my imagination to investigate and explore. Unbelievably vivid, robust with enriching characters, and wrapped in a compelling story; every frame of Arcane looks like something I could freeze and hang on my wall. It has set a new standard in animation.

1. Reservation Dogs (Hulu)

Eye-Opening, Exceptional, Scrappy

This show did everything for me. I laughed, I teared up, I learned, I empathized, I grew. A show written by indigenous people, directed by indigenous people, acted by indigenous people, filmed at an indigenous reservation in Oklahoma. There is so much truth in this show, that not only do you feel like this is something great that you’re watching, but you also feel like it's something important. Special. That is the best word to describe this. Funny, important, heartfelt, fresh, overdue...all words that still don't quite do it justice. I already got a soft spot for coming-of-age stories and this tale about a group of youth finding their place between home and the rest of the world is touching and wonderful. I just loved every aspect of this show, beginning to end and that's why Reservation Dogs is my Series of the Year 2021

____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, Shown (56 Seasons Seen)

IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

Arcane (2021) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

There is something incredible that was achieved with this animated testament of great storytelling. The first thing that catches you is how vibrant, fluid, and masterful the visuals are. Seriously, there is a new industry standard for animation, and it is Arcane. The beautiful thing about the series is that it allows you to fully invest in multiple characters and there is a whole roster of unique individuals that all are just as intriguing and different as the next. I watched the first three episodes of this show and was so impressed that I sat down and watched them again the next day with Manda. And as you all know I don't like rewatching or replaying anything. The world building in this game feels so robust, the machinations of the higher and lower cities and its denizen rang so true with richness. Story. Character. A technical marvel: all reasons why this show is one of my favorites this year

Atlanta Seasons1-2 (2016-present)Stunning!

There is no doubt that Atlanta is one of the best Television Shows ever made. Subscribing to Hulu for the first time this year, the first thing that multiple friends told me to watch, was Atlanta. They couldn't have been more correct. Every bit of this show is Bonafide subversive greatness. Daring performances from Donald Glover and the rest of this stellar cast cements this silver screen juggernaut in history and it looks like a season 3 is in the works. We are all too lucky.

Bad Batch (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

I started off enamored with this Clone Wars spin off series. The motley crew is spunky and exciting. I fell off of it in the middle of the season as I really got over the “Kid gets told to stay put, then they don't” trope. They just relied on that mechanic too often. Luckily the show ends really strongly, looking forward to future seasons.

The Circle Season 2 (2021)It’s Good

This is my guilty pleasure watch this year. Damn, did I love this social media catfishing reality show. After season 2, they started hyper releasing more seasons and while I still like the premise, I can only handle one season per year.

Cobra Kai Seasons 1-3 (2018-present) It’s Good

I was super excited to catch up with this series. As a 7-year-old who not only was into Karate Kid but was also one of those 90s brats who took karate growing up, I was super stoked to see where this series went. While the fan service was fun, it was also great examining that 80s/90s brand of toxic masculinity and how these middle-aged dudes are realizing how dumb they were. The third season got harder to watch as they somehow upped their amount of cliche and cheese, but I’m still into the series as a whole

Cocaine Cowboys the Kings of Miami (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

This next installment of the neon infused gaze at the drug trade in Miami focuses on two friends who rose to prominence and lived a life of extreme flagrancy, defying justice and riding flashy ass speed boats. The journey is fascinating as someone who grew up in South Florida and can recognize or has memories involving the locations in this docuseries. For the record none of my memories involved any type or narcotics…I just gotta say that...

Dave Seasons 1-2 (2020-present) Stunning!

Amazing. Dave is a fantastic look into the artist's mind. The insecurities, the trials, the sacrifices, the doubt; it honestly was at times, surreal watching this. The second season really ramps up as a stylized examination on fame and the crushing pressure of expectation. Did I mention the whole series is funny as fuck? Like in a good, weird way. It balances super intellectual deconstructions of the music industry, while in the same breath, they drop a slew of dick jokes. It’s off putting and intentional, which is exactly Lil Dicky’s brand (smart yet immature yet smart). Special shout to a breakout performance by Gata. His arc in this series is so special and moving. Worth watching just for that guy.

Ducktales Season 1-3 (2017-2021) Stunning!

How did this reboot of an ok childhood cartoon of mine somehow have me welling up in tears by its finale? This is a character driven comedy take on the 90s Ducktales franchise. It updates the humor and pace. It ditched the stand-alone episode formula to tell a fully well-fleshed out story with multiple arcs to follow and invest in. At times irreverent, sometimes saccharine, but without a doubt at all times, it has heart. I mean David Tenet as Scrooge McDuck, what else do you need?

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

This show was way better than I thought it would be. I figured it would just be bromance fluff and nothing else. Don't get me wrong it was still a good deal of that. But what actually stood out to me was the story of two veterans trying to find their place in the world after the biggest battle of their lives had just ended. Trying to find that purpose, balancing family and expectations, not to mention a nation falling more and more into the depths of extreme nationalism. Anthony Mackie weighing what it means for a black man to wear the shield and be Captain America was an important conversation to have and I was surprised they actually had it. A really great show.

Gargoyles Season 2 (1995) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

Finally finished rewatching the most influential show of my childhood. This is the season of Gargoyles that is the basis for basically everything I enjoy to this day. Tying in elements of Shakespeare, history, Arthurian legends, drone technology, cloning, and social themes like prejudice, queerness, and more…it helped shaped who I am today and there will never be enough I can say for it.

Gargoyles Season 3 (1996) oh this is not for me

As a kid, I watched the first few episodes of this season and knew something was off. The characters acted differently; the messaging seemed trite. In short, I didn’t like it…so I stopped tuning in week to week. With Disney Plus, I decided to give it another shot as an adult. Boy was “Kid" Troy's take spot on. The format for the show had completely changed. The characters went from deep, multilayered individuals to shallow, catch phrase toting monsters. They even animated Elisa, the main female protagonist, with movements in an uncomfortably, unnecessary “sexy” way. I read an interview with Greg Wiesmann, the creator and main writer of Gargoyles. He talked about this third season and explained how he was removed from the show, and they hired a whole new team to pump out episodes to drive toy sales. While he doesn't hold anything against the artists behind this season, he does go on record to say that he doesn't consider Season 3 canon. A consideration I will happily adopt for myself.

The Get Down Part II (2017) Stunning!

I absolutely adore this show. There is nothing else out there like it. Part One was my favorite show back in 2016. I liked it so much that when Part 2 came out, I only watched half of it. Sometimes if I really love a show, and I know it got canceled…I won't finish it. Something weird and subconscious about not accepting that there won't be more. I can't explain it, but I did the same thing with Pushing Daisies. Anyway, 4 years later I finally found the gumption to finish this show. This finale to one of my favorite shows of all time had me blubbering like a baby by the end. Please do yourself a favor and if you haven't, check out Baz Luhrmann’s ambitious 70s Musical-HipHop-Drama TV Show out. It’s on Netflix.

Girlfriend Reviews (2018-present) This is Great

No Caption Provided

This is my go-to YouTube feel good wholesome Gaming Commentary Channel. I just find this couple so damn charming, that I can't help but watch every single well-presented and well edited episode they put out. This year they proposed to each other. What a twist! It was so sweet. It's also great watching them grow and learn how to turn their work and viral fame into a profitable business. Much respect for this duo

The Good Place Season 4 (2020) Stunning!

I’ve talked a bunch about the brilliance of the show, the magnificence that is Ted Danson, the heart that is Kristen Bell, the insane talent that is the whole cast (shout out to D’arcy Carden as Janet). To put it simply, the finale to this perfect show was just as perfect as the rest of this series. They nailed it in every respect. No weak link. Simply well made. It was satisfying to see a show leave on its own accord, all of its stories told. I love that.

Hacks (2021) This is Great

Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder destroy this really fun “unlikely duo” show. Hannah is an un-hirable writer who gets sent to create new material for a legendary comedian who needs to freshen up her show or face falling into obscurity. Obviously, the seasoned comedian doesn't think she needs any help, and the younger comedian is only there because she has no choice. It’s wonderful watching these two clashing personalities come together over time.

Hawkeye (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

Plain good old-fashioned fun from start to finish. The premise of Hawkeye: trying to guide a new Archer, unraveling a NYC crime drama, all while trying to make it home for Christmas, is the feel-good kind of show I really wanted, and it delivered. What they do with deaf awareness and representation is spectacular.

I May Destroy You (2020) Stunning!

Powerful. This is tv at its most effective. Micaela Cole delivers a powerhouse performance. Poignant, tough to watch, bombastic from frame to frame. A must see. I WISH so hard that I watched this when it aired last year. It would have easily been at the top of my 2020 list.

Invincible (2021) It’s Good

No Caption Provided

I really fell in love with Invincible after reading the 1st volume of the comic book collection. Once the show came out, I was impressed with how they adapted and updated the story to fit today’s standards. By the end of the series, however, I was really just over seeing that kid beat to shit. The comic is bloody as hell, don't get me wrong, but something about seeing it in motion just made me kinda... stop caring. I got desensitized, that's what happened. It led to me feeling kinda burned out on the series by the end. Luckily, we get a nice break before they make season 2 and I am excited to see what they do with that.

Loki (2021) This is Great

You wanna have fun? Go watch Loki. Tom Hiddleston is so damn charming throughout every second of this show, Owen Wilson plays a good reliable number 2. I'm fascinated by the Marvel TV universe. It asks so much of its audience to get the full effect. You have to do what? Watch at least 5 movies before even starting Loki to get the full picture? I mean to me it’s worth it. This show is funny and sets up some fun elements for future MCU tomfoolery

Love Death & Robots Season 1 (2019) This is Great

Like all anthology shows, some are breathtaking, some are boring, some are gross. The breathtaking ones definitely outweighed the duds in this first season.

Love on the Spectrum Season 2 (2021) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

I love how much I learn about adults with Autism in this show. Yes, let's keep upping their representation in media and promoting more education about this demographic of amazing individuals

Mare of Eastown (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

Great premise! A Murder “whodunnit” where the main detective knows EVERYONE in town. How do you interview someone, when you already know all of their business? I love it. On top of that, how do you make a mystery revolving around that kind of familiarity last seven-hour long episodes successfully? You do it by being really well made. And no, I did not guess the ending. I thought I had it figured out, but they got me!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Seasons 1-3 (2017-present) Stunning!

Love, love, love this show. Rachel Brosnahan is a star. Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle are masters. I cringed and laughed my ass through this show and felt so connected to the plight of the main character. I’ll watch every season this team decides to pump out, big fan.

Midnight Mass (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

I like when people dig into religion and extrapolate some of the deeper and scarier themes within them. As someone who grew up in a very Christian household, but does not practice anymore, I really liked how this series took metaphors and themes I grew up with and subverted them. Beyond the religion stuff, we got a really fun small-town mystery that was a methodical joy to suss out. I really enjoyed the characters in this show…yes even when they “drive-by monologued” you.

The Mighty Ducks Game Changers (2021) This is Great

I’m a sucka for this kind of feel-good show. And yes, "give me that damn fanservice" thank you. The Mighty Ducks movie was my jam as a kid, so getting a chance to see Coach Bombay back on the ice was all I wanted. Seeing him broken, ostracized, and bitter just made me love him more. Even though this was based on those 90s movies, the demographic for this show is today's kiddo generation, not me and that's a good thing. I sincerely hope this will make a whole new generation of Mighty Ducks fans out there

Mortal Kombat Legacy (2011) It’s Good

This is that old MK series that started out as a bunch of YouTube shorts. They got so popular that WB purchased and funded them to make more. This is fanservice at its best, because it's actually made by fans. I appreciated them trying to take on a grittier, more realistic version of the wacky MK Universe. Definitely inspired by the more practical and darker Batman Movies that came out around that time. I don’t think it aged super well and the ending is very disjointed, but still a fun, impressive show overall for Mortal Kombat fans

My Hero Academia Season 1-4 (2015-present) This is Great

This year we made friends with someone who has a shareable Crunchyroll account! Hey, look Ma we made it! With a plethora of anime to watch, the first one I popped up was My Hero Academia. I heard so many wonderful things about this series when it first came out, I just had to make good on all those promises I made to watch it. I'm so happy I did because this show is great. It has been a LONG time since I watched Naruto, so I was super ready for a “plucky boy with undying determination” type of anime. I'm a big fan so far.

Only Murders in the Building (2021) This is Great

No Caption Provided

Legends, Steve Martin and Martin Short bust out their iconic mastery of humor in this show. This is a delightful comedy that dives headfirst into parodying podcast obsessed culture. Specifically, those True Crime Murder podcasts that we all love to listen to. Worth noting, I am officially a Selana Gomez fan now, she is spectacular in this.

Reservation Dogs (2021) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

Special. That is the best word to describe this. Funny, important, heartfelt, fresh, overdue...all words that still don't quite do it justice. I already got a soft spot for coming-of-age stories and this tale about a group of ingenious youth finding their place between home and the rest of the world is touching and wonderful. I laughed, I learned, I teared up, I just…loved this show, beginning to end.

Sex Education Season 3 (2021) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

The series continues to outdo itself. In season three they found a way for me to connect and care about characters that were merely ancillary in previous seasons. I felt the plights from so many in this cast, that I just wanted to personally give them everything they want in this world. Also, the way that this series deals with big themes like sexuality, trans rights, disability positivity, sexual assault, makes me wish everyone would watch this so we could all learn how to be better people to each other.

Squid Game (2021) This is Great

This felt like that one show that everyone you knew watched. Squid Game is a great show. That moment in the first episode where you mentally put together what this show is actually about…is rad. Glad it got as much popularity as it did, and I hope more people will watch K-Dramas. I have a couple I am currently watching myself.

Star Wars Visions (2021) It’s Okay

As stated before, Anthologies are hit and miss for me. I found that Star Wars Visions started with its best piece and everything else just seems okay in comparison. In the end, I wasn't jazzed about this series as a whole.

Sweet Tooth (2021) It’s Good

A really cute tale about a little deer boy and his big protector. Underneath this “odd couple” road trip show is a sinister B-plot that sounds like it could get real dark really quick. I’m not familiar with the comic book, so I'm going in fresh. I’m very interested where season 2 will go

Succession Seasons 1-3 (2018-present) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

What more can be said about one of the most impressive television series to date? To be honest I watched seasons 1 + 2 last year, but mistakenly left them off that list. This is what you watch, if you want to see performance, camera work, score, and writing all working at the top of their form. Brilliant Powerful Television.

Ted Lasso Season 1 (2020) Stunning!

I was about to cancel Apple TV when my year-long free trial was coming to an end. When mentioning this to a friend, he yelled “you gotta watch Ted Lasso before you do” and damn am I glad I listened to him. The earnestness in this show is infectious, I mean your heart just wants the best for so many different characters. To see them succeed felt like a personal victory. However, Ted Lasso’s inner struggle with his positivity being a negative sometimes, struck a personal chord with me that is still stinging. Love this show. Sadly, I didn't have time to watch season 2 this year.

Tiger (2021) It’s Okay

No Caption Provided

I honestly didn't know that much about Tiger Woods prior to this documentary. Just the pop culture stuff; Golf Master to publicly outed Adulterer. But to be honest, it mostly just passed me by. So, I really liked the parts of this documentary that brought me up to speed on this once in lifetime individual. It was incredible seeing footage of this golfing god from when he was four, golfing like a pro, and then watching his career unfold as he grew. But I'm conflicted with this docuseries. While I loved the side that focused on his work ethic, the pros and cons that he put into it mentally and physically, what I didn’t like was all the inference and projecting all the talking heads were doing throughout this documentary. The more I heard sentences start with “I think Tiger was thinking this…” the more I was like, yea well, I wanna know what HE actually thought. At some point, it just made me feel like this was more gossip than anything else. Everyone in the show rationalizes why they think Tiger acted in certain ways towards them. This especially popped up a bunch in Part Two when they got into his affairs. I just felt kinda cringy seeing all these people trying to diagnose Tiger beyond what was publicly released. The parts where they talk about themselves and how their lives were affected by him was totally fine. So, in the end, I'm right down the middle on this docuseries. I'm definitely happy to finally know more about this complicated icon, but I also didn't care for the solacious angles they took. They even gave the smarmy journalist from the National Enquirer a platform and he was so gross in his entitlement to other people's lives. Eck.

Too Hot To Handle Season 1 (2020) It’s Okay

Another reality Show Guilty pleasure. Had a good premise of trying to teach super promiscuous people to get to know folks beyond their looks. I started watching this in 2020 but got kind of bored with it. I decided to finish it this year since I still had some left-over reality tv energy after watching the Circle.

Turning Point 9/11 and the War on Terror (2021) Stunning!

I learned so much about the events leading up to 9/11 and was shown a thorough look at the 20-year fallout from all sides of the spectrum. There’s a lot of sadness there.

WandaVision (2021) Stunning!

What a task this show had on its shoulders. To be the first MCU tie-in tv show that utilizes big names from the movies. Also, it was tasked with launching Disney Plus as a viable place for original quality television content. And even with all that, they decided not to play it safe. RESPECT. They came out with a high concept mystery with a premise that delightfully reeks of twilight zone tomfoolery. It was awesome to get thrown back to the television days of old where each week we would gather around, watch the latest episode and talk about it the next day. Performances from Elizabeth, Kathryn, and Paul are fantastic. Yea we’re like on a first name basis so you know…

What If…? (2021) This is Great

Most of these episodes are stellar. What if Tchalla was Star Lord? What if Killmonger saved Tony Stark? The Watcher has become a fascinating and important character in the MCU. Overall, I really dug this anthology and was totally flabbergasted with how they tied it all together in the end. Evil Dr. Strange scares me.

The Witcher Season 2 (2019-present) Stunning!

No Caption Provided

It does a wonderful job fill out the history of this dark unforgiving world. Politics get played, Powers get unlocked, and the Witcher…well goes full dad on us. A great next step in the Witcher Saga. great cliffhanger.

Young Justice (2010) This is Great

Rewatched it this year to get ready for the new content. Loved it top to bottom. They invest in character development, and it really pays off.

Young Justice Invasion (2013) Stunning!

It takes everything to the next level. You get to see these characters who you fell in love within season one grow exponentially through grief and sacrifice. The twists and turns this season take are legendary. I found out this year that the writer for my favorite cartoon series of all time, Gargoyles, writes for this series… and it shows. Put character development first and the rest is incredible

Young Justice Outsiders (2019) It’s Good

So, after a long hiatus, the fans spoke, and Young Justice was renewed for two more seasons. This one goes into new fun directions and introduces a bunch of new superheroes. What’s nice about this series is that they let the original crew age up and become full adults. Our original cast are now dealing with marriage or children, trying to balance superhero life with a family is a great way to ground these characters in a new way. Some parts of this season felt drawn out and by the end, the sheer number of storylines seemed to be spiraling out of control. Overall, it’s pretty good and I’m glad to have these characters back.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

*10 HBO Max, 17 Netflix, 13 Disney+, 1 Apple TV, 6 Hulu, 4 Crunchyroll, 4 Prime, 1 YouTube

WELL DONE you read through all of my TV Shows! If you want to catch up what Games and Movies I experienced this year, here are the links

2021: Review Kids on the Block (Games)

2021: Review Kids on the Block (Movies)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

thuhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dave Season 2 - This is one of the funniest shows ive seen in a long time. The entire cast is great. I cant wait to see where they go with it

XenturiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 19

@thuhang: Yes I agree, and the way Dave incorporates music into its humor and messaging is masterful. Luckily Atlanta Season 3 comes out soon. Very different shows but some similar vibes between them. Thanks for stopping by my page