Looking for advice about getting a 3DS / 2DS for my kid

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

Hi all, I gave one of my kids my used PS Vita and some games for the hoildays and he has really enjoyed it. My older kid’s birthday (turning 12) is coming up and I think she’d really love a used 3DS or 2DS and some games (especially Nintendogs + Cats, Animal Crossing, Zelda). It seems like used devices are still really holding their value. Any advice for which model might be cheapest / best for a kid? Any advice where to buy used and not get ripped off?

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure which country you are based, but a used 2DS is probably the way to go. Ruggedly built for kids, and I think the cheapest going on the used market.

A 2DS XL might be the next best upgrade from that in terms of low price; though I'm not a fan of the build quality.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Sahalarious

For that age the 2ds would feel pretty "kiddy" imo. 3ds/2ds xl is the way to go for sure. As far as not getting ripped off just don't buy from random sellers with no feedback. I bought a standard 2ds when it came out and it really feels junky

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

At 12? A 2DS XL would be great! Lots of great games still easily available for a pretty good price.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gtxforza

Why not try visiting one of your local game stores? then ask for a used 3DS in good condition and buy a game based on whats your child's interests are.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Checking prices on ebay, looks like a 2DS XL is hovering close to $200 which is the price of a Switch Lite. You might consider getting that instead. If she's 12 I wouldn't worry about the console's sturdiness too much. But, if there are certain games on 2DS you'd think she'd like more and she doesn't mind the lower-res graphics, then sure. (I never had a 2DS/3DS so I can't say, but I know many people love it to death.) Something to keep in mind also is that the 3DS eShop may not stay open that much longer. You could always buy used carts though, of course.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shiftygism

With 3DS/DS games becoming increasingly difficult to find (and often bootlegged) and rumors Nintendo will shut down the Wii U and 3DS' eshop sooner rather than later, I agree with wolly...you probably would be better off just going with a Switch Lite unless you wanna mod or look into getting an R4 card worth of titles...which isn't the best avenue to take with kids.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Do you live in the contiguous United States? If so try Goodwill or rather try www.shopgoodwill.com. Typically for video games they will tell you if the unit works and often the price is reasonable. You won't often find things for a steal, but the prices are typically low to fair.

Right now that have this :

Nintendo 2DS XL Portable Console w/ 4 Games & Case

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/127022759

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17