OLED still state of the art?

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Phoenix654

I'm rearranging my front room and have moved my old 40" Toshiba LED TV out of there. It's old enough that it maxes out at 1080p, but then I don't currently own anything that could put out higher resolutions anyway so I've missed a few upgrade cycles. I plan on picking up an Xbox Series X and PS5 eventually, so I'm aiming to get something that will be a bit future proofed, probably at least 4K. Are the LG OLEDs the guys used to discuss on the podcast still the high end of gaming TVs, or are they just the affordable ones? Do any of y'all have a good source to go to to get info on TV models and such?

ar8423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ar8423

LG OLED is where it's at for those consoles. Something like the OLED55C1PUB would look great. I wanna say 48" is about as small as OLEDs get, though.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Those LG OLEDs still seem to be the ones to go with if you have infinite money to spend on a tv. If you want one with all the bells and whistles, you'll probably want one that also does variable refresh rate if you care about getting the most framerate out of the Series X, or the PS5 whenever Sony get around to adding that feature at some point.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By AV_Gamer
@phoenix654 said:

I'm rearranging my front room and have moved my old 40" Toshiba LED TV out of there. It's old enough that it maxes out at 1080p, but then I don't currently own anything that could put out higher resolutions anyway so I've missed a few upgrade cycles. I plan on picking up an Xbox Series X and PS5 eventually, so I'm aiming to get something that will be a bit future proofed, probably at least 4K. Are the LG OLEDs the guys used to discuss on the podcast still the high end of gaming TVs, or are they just the affordable ones? Do any of y'all have a good source to go to to get info on TV models and such?

RTings.com is one of the best sources out their to look at different televisions.

As far as gaming televisions go, yes LG OLEDs are the top of the line in terms of features, but it's not the end all or be all of gaming televisions. If you have the money to afford it and aren't scared of possible burn-in from gaming sessions over the the next couple of years, then go for it. But there are other televisions you can get that also have VRR, 120hz refresh rate, eARC and all the other stuff as well. This whole LG OLED or nothing mindset many seem to have on this site is not accurate. There are a lot of great televisions you can get that will be more than enough to run Xbox Series X/S and PS5 games very well. Truth be told, you don't even need all those things to run games on those consoles. Games can still run on good quality 4K, 60hz televisions from a couple of years ago and still look good, as most games run between 30fps or 60fps depending on the performance option most games these days have.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to kinda play Devil's Advocate here, I do have an LG C7 and I wish I had gone with something else. My TV is in my front room, and as the sunlight moves around the room, I find myself having to adjust brightness settings throughout the day. At this point I know exactly what settings to adjust (brightness/backlight) and what values to adjust them to, but it is kind of annoying and there are even times where I know I won't be able to play half my library because the screen will be way too dark during midday.

On top of that, the Netflix and YouTube Apps have caused burn-in with their logos. This is something that I've heard is much less common on the newer models though.

I understand that my circumstances may not line up with yours, but I think it's not a fair analysis to say OLED or bust. So I wish I had gone with QLED since that seems to have similar enough quality but better brightness. But like others mentioned, Rtings.com is definitely the website to do some research on.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty expensive, but I think the LG CX55 is still a really good screen. I kind of can't believe how pretty the colors it puts out are even after a year of having it. It is a little faced when piping in my PC instead of a console, but I'm pretty sure that is windows fault and not the TVs. I'm sure there are better screens for more money, and there are better value TVs with plenty good screens for less money, but I've been happy.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: I've got a QLED and it's definitely not immune to sunlight glare. It would be impossible to play games at certain times of the day because the glare was just too bad. Eventually, I just invested in putting blinds on all the windows.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: my issue isn't so much from direct sunlight glare, more just that the windows behind the TV get too illuminated and I can't increase the brightness of the TV to compensate. I don't know the science behind it but I'm gonna guess that my pupils adjust to the bright light but then are too small to make out the lower light of the TV.

I know I should try and rearrange my TV set up, but my apartment is incredibly small and this is the only location where I won't also get the sunlight glare.

And I would love to invest in some good blinds but I also own 100+ plants of varying sizes that need that good good sunlight.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: The blinds I have still let in a pretty good amount of light, even when I pull them down all the way and completely shut them. I'm no plant doctor, so I don't know if it's good enough for 100 plants, but the reason I went with blinds is because I still wanted some sunlight to come through without the room turning into a dank, dark dungeon.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: I probably should've mentioned it earlier, but I do have those standard blinds that come in most rental units in the US. And upgrading those to something nicer would certainly be cheaper than buying a new TV. But yeah, not gonna lie, I pictured you talking about those blackout curtains that people like.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: I just have some standard blinds I found at Walmart. Nothing fancy. So if you already have blinds, I don't know if they'd any better then what you have.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By chrjz

OLEDs are unbeatable in a light controlled room. For the longest time LG Display was essentially the only source for them but Samsung has recently entered the market. With that being said LCD is by no means obsolete and it depends on how you plan on using the TV.

Check out HDTVTest on YouTube.

I have a 48" LG C1 as my computer monitor and I'm in love with it.

@ar8423 said:

I wanna say 48" is about as small as OLEDs get, though.

LG has a 42" model out now and Alienware just released a 34" ultrawide monitor.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My C7 is still going strong with no burn in after 4 years.

unastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By unastrike

Curious how this affects people's decisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2tSrnxqVk

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By chrjz

@unastrike: If I were looking at buying a TV right now and I watched that review I would probably wait on buying anything or look at other options, including getting a C1 like he did; it sounds like he's quite happy with it. I love my C1 and haven't been as satisfied with any LCD display. The only thing you have to keep in mind with OLED is that the organic diodes will degrade with time. A lot of the changes with panel technology have been an attempt to combat this and the dreaded burn-in, but I guess we'll see.

It is good that Samsung is entering the market because hopefully that will cause LG to make more meaningful improvements to their products. What's especially awesome is seeing Samsung start making OLED panels for desktop monitors.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The state of the art for organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) is moving. The current state of OLED is not the end of the technology or where it WILL go in teh near future.

There is commercial development to make deep-blue PhOLEDs, which are a brighter blue phosphorescent OLED using better chemistry, it is better than the current florescent Blue. What will happened in two years is the roll out of improved more stable and brighter blue. That will be combined with other brightness improving tech meaning OLED will have access to creating HRD that is actually super bright. From what has been said, LG and Samsung, will both have improved screen for 2024/25

Steps after that are brighter Green, Yellow, and Red phosphorescent organic light-emitting diode (OLED) that improve everything else. The direction OLED is going is more colors using more exotic chemistry with smaller subpixels. OLED brightness will improve, color gamut will improve, and the brightness and darkness of each pixel will improve.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was about to buy LG C2 but seeing the QD-OLED from samsung made me hesistant. I'll hold out for another year to see how things develop.