The Metal Thread

• 77 results
Vordus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The thread for all the metal music! Let's hear some blasting!

Haiduk kicks it off

weazman54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By weazman54
dodecalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

folk metal whips. Bloodywood's album Rakshak is my AOTY so far in 2022

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Missed metal threads.

Here's me playing Babymetal to start things off on the right foot.

Loading Video...

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hell yeah! Amon Amarth says "get in the ring". https://youtu.be/p2-_PW4kzQo

mkeskimaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mkeskimaki
Loading Video...

'in cadence of "I like turtles"'

I like Bölzer

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Now, this is my kind of thread.

So here's something real dumb:

Loading Video...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

giantmidget999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

NEKROGOBLIKON!!!!!!!!!!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if this is closer to country with good riffs, I'm putting it here.

Loading Video...

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By FesteringNeon

Here are some good shit rippers I’ve had the pleasure of partying with a few times and catching a handful of times live when they toured and either opened or headlined a local show in MN or ND. They’re out of Wisconsin. \m/

https://youtu.be/oVKcsQn9QRg

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cikame

I was hesitant to post partially because i assumed media focused forum threads were frowned upon, but also because my taste in metal doesn't usually appeal to fans of "metal", but now we've kicked off i'll pick one of the more ordinary metal songs i know, it's probably more metalcore though.

Loading Video...
denisxcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Band rips like nobody's business, RIP Trevor

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy these threads. Its fun seeing where people's heads are at with metal these days.

LooterJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You fools, why is no one listening to Zeal & Ardor yet?

Loading Video...

I'll also submit for your listening pleasure, Twin Temple, a doo-wop band all about satan. Except satan is a metaphor for sexual freedom and gender equality and all that good stuff. Hex the patriarchy, baby!

Loading Video...

FlyxDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Love me some Celtic Frost!

weazman54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

ok this has all been top tier! but this is that crazy heavy shit right here

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New LoG just dropped - https://youtu.be/SnEXcv0YJQA

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'll also toss in probably my favorite metal band, Between the Buried and Me. Colors is a perfect album and should be listened to from beginning to end.

Loading Video...

somedrumbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Reppin' ATL.

LooterJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FinalDasa  Moderator

@looterjennings: I love the idea of a sequel album and considering how great I think Colors is, Color II gets really close to the original. I like that they continued some of the concepts from the original but also brought in more of their newer stuff along.

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Monolith of inhumanity is one of my favorite death metal albums and this song opens it up perfectly.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DemiGodRaven

@watershreder: Up until last month, the Cattle Decapitation tour in 2019 with Primitive Man, Atheist, Author & Punisher and at our show a local group called Wastewalker would've been the most recent metal show I had attended. Came to the conclusion that Travis Ryan is not allowed to name a song something like "Bring Back The Plague" ever again.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Should metal just be considered a supergenre covering a massive number of styles at this point? Like, there's stuff in this very thread that really doesn't sound anything like each other.

Anyway, I have been listening to a lot of Charred Walls of the Damned. I'm not sure what general opinion on this band was when they were active, but they're a lot more "ear worm-y" than you'd expect from the name, also not much in the way of metal screaming/growling/whatever. For some reason, Giantbomb isn't letting me post a video, so here's a link to one of their songs. And another!

Over the past year or two I've been listening to... I guess "calmer" stuff? I hesitate to call it "calmer", but I've become a lot more picky about songs that use harsh vocals primarily. I used to like Colors, mentioned above, but tried to listen to it again somewhat recently and found that I kind of actually hate their harsh vocals. Opeth's older albums are still incredible, though, as are Amon Amarth, Black Crown Initiate, and Rivers of Nihil - but I've listened to more later Opeth and later Mastodon lately, as well as some Steven Wilson. Stuff that some would argue isn't even metal anymore, just prog rock with a harder edge to it, or in the Steven Wilson case prog rock with an occasional wink towards something heavier.

That said, up until recently I was listening to an awful lot of The Contortionist, another band that used to fall squarely in heavy metal territory but largely gave up the screaming and crushing rhythms for a much different, proggier sound that's still pretty metal but less aggressive and a lot more thoughtful. Really recommend basically everyone give this a listen.

But if you're looking for something crushingly heavy with nary a sung vocal to be found, I have to recommend Gorgut's Pleiades' Dust. It's a thirty three minute long fucking monster of a song about an ancient library called The House of Wisdom that was eventually destroyed in a war.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://youtu.be/Daxf8VohdZU HEAVY

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Broshmosh
@justin258 said:

Should metal just be considered a supergenre covering a massive number of styles at this point?

Metal has meant a lot of things for as long as I've been listening to music. It's more of a genre rather than supergenre - the supergenre is probably still rock. Yes, I am positing that metal exists as a genre of rock, alongside surf rock and indie rock, which is probably the most controversial thing in this entire thread. Then you have the various subgenres - heavy, thrash, speed, black, death etc. I won't go much further into it as it starts to mirror the "What is a b-game?" discussion in a non-productive way, but I don't think OP was looking for any particular type of metal.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

FFO: 90's Voivod, Manilla Road, space cults

Doszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demigodraven: "Cattle Decapitation tour...with Primitive Man, Atheist, Author & Punisher"

Just reading that leaves me breathless. If I caught that show I would consider walking into traffic immediately afterwards because what's the point of anything after experiencing that bill?

Anyway, my copy of Ward of Roses by The Silver just showed up yesterday. Technically came out last year, but vinyl production is FUBAR right now. Regardless, a stunning production.

https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/ward-of-roses

thecondor405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thecondor405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demigodraven: Man I was at that show in San Diego and it was absolutely bonkers!

dooomfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dooomfist

Here's something a little different!

https://youtu.be/KgVEZkY0md8

Edit: is it possible to get the embeds to appear w/ the mobile editor?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Jethro Tull is my favorite metal band.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do we feel about posting stonerish/doomy type stuff? Like this https://youtu.be/RQdldjaUOPc or this https://youtu.be/aOBoUTLqHNo.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Monkeyman04

@thecondor405: @denisxcore: It broke my heart when I saw that he passed. I've seen them live a few times and he would kill it every time. RIP Trevor

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are aome of my favorites as of late, sorry about not linking properly, sitting on mobile.

Lorna Shore - Sun//Eater - https://youtu.be/mK8mw2X-4ug

Will Ramos since joining Lorna Shore has quickly entered my top vocalists list. And the new songs from them are all real bangers.

Amon Amarth - Put Your Back Into The Oar - https://youtu.be/vYNAEzgKNec

Don’t think there’s an album by Amon Amarth that I haven’t loved. And Johan Hägg’s vocals are some of the best deep growls that are still extremely articulated.

Funeral Mist - Children of the Urn - https://youtu.be/SExRFrEsv6Q

Marduk’s vocalist Mortuus’ solo project. And yes, you guessed it, Morruus is another one of my vocalists of choice.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Undeadpool

Is symphonic metal welcome here? What about symphonic metal ABOUT VIDEOGAMES?!

Apparently it's "age-restricted" (probably because of the videogame violence in the video itself), so I'll introduce: "A Thousand Eyes" by Miracle of Sound (feat. Aviators)

Loading Video...
Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm not the metal guy, or the music guy for that matter. I'm not much for the hardcore screamy metal, but rather prefer more melodic stuff; however, I do enjoy some of it. One thing that caught my attention as of late was the band Jinjer. What a voice. To be able to switch between sultry clean tones to utter growl truly impressed me.

Loading Video...

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://youtu.be/9zuES7NeqYQ Somn.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Justin258
@spacemanspiff00 said:

So I'm not the metal guy, or the music guy for that matter. I'm not much for the hardcore screamy metal, but rather prefer more melodic stuff; however, I do enjoy some of it. One thing that caught my attention as of late was the band Jinjer. What a voice. To be able to switch between sultry clean tones to utter growl truly impressed me.

At this point in time, I think half of all Youtube music reaction videos are to Jinjer's Pisces. It's a great song, I've listened to it a million times primarily because it's so good at switching between those dark, clean, melodic tones and the crazy metal stuff.

...but I'm not a massive fan of Jinjer in general. I have enjoyed a lot of what they've done, but I think their clean-er hard rock sound is way more interesting than their djent-y metal sound. One of their newer singles is Vortex and I've listened to it several times since it came out and each time I'm disappointed because it goes from some of their best clean stuff to some of their most boring harsh stuff and just stays in harsh territory for the rest of the song. About the time she starts screaming, they go into this breakdown thing that sucked when metalcore bands were doing it twelve years ago and it still sucks now.

...that said, I think Micro is overall their best release (actually an EP), I enjoyed pretty much all of Macro to some degree, and I think Judgment and Punishment is up there with Pisces as far as my favorite songs of theirs goes. I just wish she sang a whole hell of a lot more.

Now that I've spent three paragraphs giving my unasked for opinion, I should post a song they put out recently trying to get support for their home country, Ukraine. Seems like they were given permission by the Ukrainian government to go touring to try to gain support in any way they can.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: @monkeyman04:

Ha! Ya I got that impression from the video comments for sure. I was just looking up female metal vocalists one day and she came up. I haven't listened to much else from them tbh but I'll check out your recommendations. I appreciate it. I didn't even know they were Ukrainian until very recently. Much love and support fo sho.

I also liked Alissa-White-Gruz from Arch Enemy as well when it comes to their new stuff. Not as good as Tatiana, though still quite striking when switching between the two. I also got into Unleash The Archers lately as well, and while its not one person doing the vocals, I do think I quite enjoy that sort of transition.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: @monkeyman04:

Ha! Ya I got that impression from the video comments for sure. I was just looking up female metal vocalists one day and she came up. I haven't listened to much else from them tbh but I'll check out your recommendations. I appreciate it. I didn't even know they were Ukrainian until very recently. Much love and support fo sho.

I also liked Alissa-White-Gruz from Arch Enemy as well when it comes to their new stuff. Not as good as Tatiana, though still quite striking when switching between the two. I also got into Unleash The Archers lately as well, and while its not one person doing the vocals, I do think I quite enjoy that sort of transition.

I always liked Angela Gossow's vocals more than Alissa's, but also I haven't listened to Arch Enemy in a long time. That said, a band called Amaranthe did a song with Angela Gossow as a guest vocalist if you want to see a metal band with female vocalists trading back and forth. And if you like that you should check out more symphonic metal stuff, Floor Jansen and Nightwish and that whole ballpark that I don't know all that much about.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I definitely went back and listened to her as well. She has a pretty unrivaled energy and gravitas to her. Its cool that she stuck around as manager. She even hand picked Alissa from what I read. Quite the blessing, indeed. I'll check out the other groups you mentioned as well. I get around quite a bit. I'm told I have rather eclectic tastes. I like more melodic stuff like Children of Bodom all the way to the screamy Suicide Silence(RIP Mitch). And that's just metal lol.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By fram

I'm loving Unleash the Archers right now! Faster Than Light is a killer power metal track and the video is hilarious too.

Loading Video...

bodger0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bodger0ne

I've been listening to Architects new album a load whilst working (yay, warehouse jobs)

Nice mix of melody, vocal range, and just good music all round really, linking one of my fav tracks from it

Goliath (ft. Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro)