[Vape Life] Passed out at a rock concert after vaping into three rows of concertgoers

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I was at a concert tonight and fifteen minutes into the show in comes a young twenty-something couple. The girl was dressed like most of the other ladies in the crowd and had a colorful cocktail. The dude had a frat fro that would put Scoops to shame, a ballcap on top (it covered maybe 10% of his fro) and a sweater that featured a white collar. He was double fisting beers.

As the concert went on I noticed him leave and return twice with a beer for himself and his girlfriend. After the second drink run he proudly produced his 'Rig' by waving it around and proceeding to blow massive clouds up and back behind him covering at least 3 rows of people in whatever dank juices he was ingesting (I can still smell it because it is still in my hair post shower). He did this on about three occasions and then it seemed to stop.

By the end of the concert I had forgotten about Frat Vape guy when during the encore I looked and saw his girlfriend furiously shoving him in his seat. Everyone else around the couple were standing for the encore set. He just slid over sideways and fell into the seat beside him while his girlfriend shook him for a good minute. The three encore songs complete I began to file out with the rest of the crowd. Frat Vape was still unconscious across two seats and his girlfriend looked exasperated.

I did approach some first responders outside and told them what I saw. They told me thanks but they cannot do anything unless approached by him or his girlfriend.

If the Frat Vape guy in any way describes your partner... you can do better.

If Frat Vape guy describes you...

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The fuck kind of a first responder is that?

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WheresDerrick

As someone who got drunk and smoked hookah immediately after, don't do them at the same time.

As someone who did both and ate McDonalds after... sorry for the cleanup fast food employee

That was some 6 years ago and I've barely done either since; I can't see drinking and vaping being much different

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Note to self. Do not Vape. Do not Drink, do not smoke.

Subliminal note. Don't judge other people for their stupid choices. Feel free to laugh at the horror stories people tell about their personal experiences however.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So did he died?

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait, my main take-away from that story is wtf is with that first responder dude. I really don't think that's a thing, like you can at least go in and assess the situation. Like what if a guy was there alone and passed out, they'd have to wait for him to tell them to help him? wtf?

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero_swe said:

So did he died?

No my Friend, He shall live FOREVER in the Halls of Vapehalla!

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azulot

As someone who got drunk and smoked hookah immediately after, don't do them at the same time.

Yeah, I'm gonna second this.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulmako

I have heard a vape person say 'It's not a habit, it's a hobby'.

Why would the first responder disturb someone unconsciously enjoying their hobby?

In all seriousness though, do first responders get complaints if they disturb people who are just like, sleeping? I imagine they were aware of it and would have stepped in if it looked really serious.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live by the cloud, die by the cloud.

dunc2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you assuming that him passing out has anything to do with Vaping or drinking? Dude could have some underlying health issues or it may have just been a freak health scare.

Get off your high horse.

Though as a smoker for 10 years I've always tried my best not to put other people in a situation where they are forced to inhale my smoke. People with e cigs often just blow the cloud all over, that drives me nuts.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me wonder if the smoking ban should extend to vaping. Granted, for slightly different reasons.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel mislead by your title sir

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what exactly is vaping? I just know I'm supposed to hate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: Don't worry about that. All I'm gonna say is that when a vaper moves into a new neighborhood, they have to go from door to door letting everyone know they moved in. You know what I'm sayin'?

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe they weren't really first responders in the truest sense. Maybe they were just hired security, and weren't trained in CPR or First Aid? I would imagine that a paramedic or police officer would be required to assess any situation brought to their attention, or potentially be held liable for injuries or death due to negligence. I'm not naive enough to think that any criminal action would be taken against them, but civil suits are a real possibility.

@jdizzlefoshizzle said:

wait, my main take-away from that story is wtf is with that first responder dude. I really don't think that's a thing, like you can at least go in and assess the situation. Like what if a guy was there alone and passed out, they'd have to wait for him to tell them to help him? wtf?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is first responder American for paramedic? Cause if so I'm pretty sure what they told you was code for fuck off I can't be bothered to help.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was probably just really drunk and fell asleep. Or he was vapeing something else, and I can tell you from experience, if you're drunk and smoke cannabis you ha e a good chance of just falling asleep.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you havent seen worse you go to boring clubs

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dunc2j said:

Why are you assuming that him passing out has anything to do with Vaping or drinking? Dude could have some underlying health issues or it may have just been a freak health scare.

Get off your high horse.

Welcome to GB. Where we hate bullying, but no worries - we have our own pecking order.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to clarify here in Canada we have a tier of first responders who are not true paramedics under an organization called St. John's Ambulance. They are classed as first responders and are often hired at medium to large venues (they even have uniforms to be identifiable). They provide early aid and can keep people alive long enough for paramedic teams to show up. Otherwise they have minor equipment to deal with injuries so the person can get to medical help on their own. They offer training courses to anyone who wants to become a licensed First Aider and many manufacturing businesses will have licensed staff in their ranks.

Also this guy was passed out during at least three songs in an enclosed space at the end of a very loud rock concert while being violently shaken by his girlfriend. He was not sleeping. He was unconscious.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Sounds like the dude was doing more than vaping, but hey whatever helps you feel better about yourself.

dunc2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dunc2j

@sravankb: not sure I get ya? Not meaning any harm. Just simply pointing out there can be more to a situation and it's wise not to assume. But I'm sorry if that came off the wrong way, I've no time for bullying of any kind so would hate to think that it's come off that way. High horse may have been too sharp an expression! :).

I second the concerns about the first responders. It's worrying that they would not even bother to go and assess the situation. It's possible he was just drunk passed out, but to be totally blacked out from booze takes a hefty hefty amount. I'd assume there is some other things going on be it self inflicted or not, however the first responders should have absolutely been all over that.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dunc2j said:

@sravankb: not sure I get ya? Not meaning any harm. Just simply pointing out there can be more to a situation and it's wise not to assume. But I'm sorry if that came off the wrong way, I've no time for bullying of any kind so would hate to think that it's come off that way. High horse may have been too sharp an expression! :).

I second the concerns about the first responders. It's worrying that they would not even bother to go and assess the situation. It's possible he was just drunk passed out, but to be totally blacked out from booze takes a hefty hefty amount. I'd assume there is some other things going on be it self inflicted or not, however the first responders should have absolutely been all over that.

I'm agreeing with you. Most folks, especially on this site would see "vape" and automatically want the guy to be a dick. In this case, he is, but man oh man - some folks love their hate boners.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this post. Thanks Wandrecanada!

dunc2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb: ah right I get ya. Sorry hungover mind ain't working properly today.

It's true though. I'd be pretty pissed if I collapsed at a gig and somebody just assumed because I'd been smoking cigarettes, having a beer and enjoying myself that it was my own fault.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

Out of curiosity, what was the concert?

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda of weird and cold reaction but to each their own I suppose. I handle these situations a bit differently.

Found a young lady in front of my work passed out in a pool of her own vomit. I woke her up, asked if she needed me to call her a cab and if she was ok.

Had a dude fired/asked to leave from a remedial position at my job because he said he had a high school diploma and struggled with reading. I did some research and handed him some print outs of where he could get some help. I read them to him in case he could not do it himself.

Was at a local brewery when a friend of a friend hit the ground and had to call the paramedics with complaints of chest pains and pressure. Was very overweight so it was probably a heart attack or something coronary related. I stayed with him until help showed up.

I am a self described asshole, so take that as you will.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ghost_cat

I've only tried vaping a few times before (not a fan, rather have a cigarette instead), and I kinda find it strange that the combo there caused bizarro Patrick to pass out. Either his rig was actually filled with hash juice and he passed out from dehydration (from the drinks as well), or he popped some bars or something similar at some point.

Or even worse would be that he took some drugs that were cut with the same cleaning solutions you find under a sink, and his body was not having a great time.

What I'm trying to say is that people do dumb shit, but it's never justified if that dumb shit cost them their lives.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jaypb08 said:

Out of curiosity, what was the concert?

This is legitimately the only part of this story I care about.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*insert brad stoner laugh here*

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaypb08: Tegan and Sara. So I expected some mind expanders in the crowd. Sara even mentioned she smelled someone, "enhancing their experience," during the show.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

He was probably dehydrated and cutting off oxygen to his brain by ripping all those fat clouds.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bybeach

Maybe had something else under his belt that wasn't the beer or vape? Not to say he wasn't putting on a show, that perhaps was then the result.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only once every 4 blue moons does a golden thread crop up around here. This was fun.

Oh this is 4 yrs old. Well shit, still fun though.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

As someone who's very sensitive to nicotine, I can totally see how this might happen with just mixing alcohol and nicotine. I've never fully passed out from smoking, but there have definitely been a few occasions where I had to lay down after hitting a vape or hookah or even smoking half a cigarette.

And I'm also surprised by the reaction of the paramedics. If the guy was treated by the paramedics, would the couple have to pay for this? I'm never fully aware of what you do and don't have to pay for when it comes to medical stuff in the USA. If they would have to pay then I guess I understand the hesitancy but it still sounds weird and wrong. I've certainly been at concerts, festivals and clubs and seen people in a bad state and directed staff or paramedics their way with no questions asked.

tuanphamhung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel mislead by your title sir

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjalegend:

5 years later, I’m still wondering how the middle example of helping someone who had trouble reading was a similar situation.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@isomeri said:

And I'm also surprised by the reaction of the paramedics. If the guy was treated by the paramedics, would the couple have to pay for this? I'm never fully aware of what you do and don't have to pay for when it comes to medical stuff in the USA. If they would have to pay then I guess I understand the hesitancy but it still sounds weird and wrong. I've certainly been at concerts, festivals and clubs and seen people in a bad state and directed staff or paramedics their way with no questions asked.

It was Canada, so no bill in this instance, but I've called the paramedics for someone in the US before and they just checked the person out, made sure they were okay and left. I'm English, so I don't know more than that for other situations, but there's some anecdotal evidence for you.

Garbushka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to vape a lot, but I could never afford to vape if someone was next to me. I'm surprised how this guy was able to vape when there were many people next to him.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just and FYI when describing a dunk or high person that is in obvious distress tell the paramedics the perosn stopped breathing or only one side is paralyzed. As I said this is if you think the person is in actual trouble -even if you don't know how bad - just tell the paramedics it is the worst thing you have seen.

At worst the go wake up a woozy person, at best they save the person life form an OD that was not caught in time because their friends hesitated. Sometime as a paramedic at a show you need to triage various emergencies, but if they are standing around after a show you MAKE THEM go see. Does that frat guy deserve help your help - probably not - but he's stupid so he is not deserving of an indifferent death chocking on someone else's vomit either.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do i remember this thread so vividly?